slimey mackeral

An unweighted hook with a piece of slimey on it works for me, but when they're schooled up they will hit ANYTHING in the water.Use ya gar rig with a few gents to catch the first one, then use the first as bait for the others. Alternatively use a piece of gar, a cockle, a pilchard cube, a soft plastic, a hardbody, it doesn't matter what you have at hand, the slimeys will take it.

The easiest way to catch them is to wind up your whiting rig halfway up off the bottom and leave it... you'll soon know when one gets on. I kill them as per sashimi grade standards by spiking the hind brain and then either cutting one gill vein or slit the tail, put them in an ice and saltwater slurry for 10 mins before they go grey and the eyes go cloudy then put them in normal ice. I eat them in sushi and sashimi.They also smoke up really nicely also :)

A very welcome visitor whenever a school shows up. Very good bait live or dead. Just use a swivel and a 30cm leader to a single hook. Once you've got one fillet it and hang the carcass in the water. Very oily fish and the frame hanging in the water will keep them around until you run out of fillets, then just fillet the next one and repeat. Lightning fast and great fun on light tackle. Might make some enemies by saying this but pound for pound I think they're better than salmon.

• 3 weeks later...

tried some smoked and i must say they were magnificent.

Another convert! ;)Now try experimenting. Sprinkle them with brown sugar before smoking, give them a light coating of your favourite herbs, or soak the sawdust in wine first! And don't tell all these buggers here how good they are, or we'll be competing for slimeys out there! :icon_eek:

Do not freeze for later use as they just go soft and mushy.

I freeze them & reuse all the time. when you 1st catch them straight into a ice slurry stops the mushyness to a certain extent. they are a prefered snapper bait above all at this time of the year & can be the diference between esky fulla big reds & none. ;)i use unweighted gar hooks & squid strips, maybe a splitshot to get it down a little. we get them over 30cm long & i've had a few kids onboard who love catching the "Little Tuna" more than anything else because they are exciting & go like hell & tangle everyone within 20ft radius .hissy.cheersBigAsh