WOE BETIDE ME

I had a disastrous day last week and could only manage one Yellow Fin Whiting all day. I got the tide and the weather conditions all wrong.

I was fortunate to realise the error and managed to back it up the following day by relocating my fishing to a spot better suited to the tide and weather and finished with a bag of 20 large YFW on surface lures.

The sandflats of the upper SA Gulfs are a dynamic environment and ecosystem with many a variable factor that affects fishing. It keeps you thinking. Keeps you on your toes! And we don’t always get it right!

One of the most dynamic and important factors on these sandflats are the tides.

And Beware! tides also are, the greatest danger for a novice fishing these areas !

Knowing what the tide will do on any particular day is essential.

Every spot has different characteristics, where the same tide will behave differently.

For a successful fishing trip to these sandflats, you need to consider the tide along with the weather on the day. You then select the most suitable spot for those tides and those conditions.

My recent trip to the upper St.V Gulf clearly illustrated this.

On Day 1:

It went terribly wrong. The predicted tide was a slow steady run out all day. That did not happen. The spot was a wide sandflat. A small tide across a wide space means a slow steady water flow. That has a lot of fish lingering over the soft nipper beds. Unfortunately an unpredicted drop in air pressure and SW winds far stronger than forecast pushed against the flow and held the water at a standstill.

No flow no fish. I only ended up catching the one fish on Day 1.

On Day 2:

The tides and weather were very similar to the previous day. Having reconsidered the factors at play. I moved to another spot. The location was narrower, more restricted & channeled sandflat squeezed between a mangrove wall and the weedline.

28831314_3NarrowWide.jpg.318c05f09e8d0b6a6ce70b9c8761ead9.jpg

The tide flow here was quicker moving through this restricted space. And the fish were a lot more responsive. I finished with a bag of 20 quality large Yellow Fin Whiting.

1Catch.jpeg.a69f667504be2aa512c0c9915c30f5d1.jpeg2Catch.jpg.822fc8594ba3eb5887f66a3a8e17d4e4.jpg

The Sugapen 95 was the most successful lure. And Zipbaits Fakie Dog DS70 took a few.

6SugapenBeauty2.jpg.c81cabb2dd84cf5af7ac9078174d4896.jpg7FakieDog.jpg.9824c5b131707bb1f24122e04993cbaa.jpg8SugapenBeauty.jpg.8d06aad16c9ab5fb234eef50b1d3b44b.jpg

For a successful day of YFW fishing on the sandflats you need to be aware of all the tide and water flow factors.

GULF SHAPE, TIDE ENTRY, WINDS & TIDAL FLOWS

I do most of my fishing in the Gulf St Vincent. So this post will focus on the tidal influences on the Gulf of St Vincent Sandflats.

The very shape of the St V Gulf affects the tides in the gulf.

The first factor are the openings to the gulfs and their orientations.

To the East of K.I. the Backstairs Passage. A narrow and very restrictive entrance to the gulf. Not much water can flow through that passage. Although the tide that does, races through at a great rate.

On the West side is Investigator Strait. Which is considerably wider and the main entry point for the tide in St V Gulf tide.

If you study the tide times in the gulf, the tide arrives earlier on western side ports. This western orientation of the main gulf opening, has a major impact on tides when a SW wind blows. The SW wind or storm surge forces a lot more water up the gulf than any other wind. That will increase the tide height, considerably far more than the forecast height.

And the opposite also applies. A NE wind will force water out of the gulf, dropping the actual tide to lower than forecast.

5TideFactorsE.jpg.e25758cab8e39668f6e6b61b88f83e7c.jpg

Air pressure adds a compounding factor. A lower Air pressure draws up more water and a high air pressure will force water out.

Our Afternoon Sea breezes (occasional Gale) also act similar to a SW wind. It forces more water up the gulf and increases the tide height. Particularly in the upper gulfs.

So if you have ever arrived at a sandflats location expecting the tide to be where you thought it should be … and it is NOT. Reconsider the above factors.

Danger is present, should these conditions come into play whilst you are out a kilometre away from the safe shore. A change in conditions can have the tide come in far faster than you have expected.

Our gulfs narrow at their northern ends. This amplifies any tide movement. In the constricted space of the upper gulf the tide has no where to go but up. Check the high tide on the same day.  A Pt. Adelaide 2.60 mt tide, will be a 3.90 mt tide at Pt Wakefield. So in the upper gulfs the effect from any of the above variables will be amplified. Stay alert! And factor it into your fishing.

4GulfOpening.jpg.0c757daa862b431c503edd4ddc5c166d.jpg

TERRAIN, & STAGE OF TIDE

Narrow areas will increase the height and speed of tide. Wider areas the reverse. This may assist or hinder our fishing depending on the weather and tide on the day.

It is important to know your spot and its height in regards to the low water mark.

Beware the elevated sand flats. If the tide at a spot, like Bald Hill Beach, arrives 3 hours after low, then you are obviously on the higher ground on an elevated sandflat. When the tide arrives here, it arrives at the fastest period of tide flow. Many fisherman are caught and taken by surprise in these locations.

Know the “RULE of TWELFTHS” .  How much water comes in and when. How much more will be coming in. The Flow rate of the tide in that hour. So you can decide; do you sit it out there and keep fishing or get out of there quickly.

THE RULE OF TWELFTHS FOR TIDE MOVEMENTS:

- Based on the most frequent 6 hourly tide cycle experienced.

If we Start at LOW Tide.

There is no movement. 100% of the water movement is yet to come in.

1 HOUR after Low Tide:

- 1/12th of the tide moves in this hour.

- 7% of the tide has moved in, during this hour.

- 93% of the water is yet to come

2 HOURS after Low Tide:

- 2/12th of the tide moves in this hour.

- 25% of the tide has moved in, by the end of this hour.

- 75% of the water is yet to come

3 HOURS after Low Tide:

- 3/12th of the tide moves in this hour. The first of the fastest 2 hours of movement.

- 50% of the tide has moved in, by the end of this hour.

- 50% of the water is yet to come

4 HOURS after Low Tide:

- 3/12th of the tide moves in this hour. The second of the fastest 2 hrs of movement.

- 75% of the tide has moved in, by the end of this hour.

- 25% of the water is yet to come

5 HOURS after Low Tide:

- 2/12th of the tide moves in this hour.

- 93% of the tide has moved in, by the end of this hour.

- 7% of the water is yet to come

6 HOURS after Low Tide:

- the last 1/12th of the tide moves in this hour.

- 100% of the tide has moved in, at the end of this hour.

- No more water to come in. This is the top of the tide.

There have been a few occasions, when I have been counting the minutes and calculating the tide, whilst I was stranded out on a bank with water too deep to cross all around me.

Hopefully your sandflats fishing can be much more successful armed with the knowledge of these variables and their effects on your fishing.

Cheers and Tight lines, Des

That's a great article Des and very helpful to those who venture the tidal flats that's for sure. I for one got caught out on an incoming tide off Port Gawler many, many years ago while fishing for Flathead, had to swim across a few deep gutters, wasn't feeling all that comfortable crossing them either. 

cheers Adrian

Hey Des, read many of your amazing posts.

I’ve ventured out to bald hill beach, Thomsons beach, parham and only ever caught meaningful fish at Thompson beach on a low tide. Are you able to let me know a well known beach that may produce some yellow fin? 

I’ve tried high and low tide and only had luck on the low tide. It seems the fish are forced into the gutters in low tide which make them easier to catch. 

Any pointers much appreciated. I enjoy fishing the flats in the hot weather it’s a bit of a cool off.

15 hours ago, Bilbobaggins said:

Hey Des, read many of your amazing posts.

I’ve ventured out to bald hill beach, Thomsons beach, parham and only ever caught meaningful fish at Thompson beach on a low tide. Are you able to let me know a well known beach that may produce some yellow fin? 

I’ve tried high and low tide and only had luck on the low tide. It seems the fish are forced into the gutters in low tide which make them easier to catch. 

Any pointers much appreciated. I enjoy fishing the flats in the hot weather it’s a bit of a cool off.

All those spots produced fish regularly.

Try the small tides.  Both outgoing and incoming.

Fish nearer the channels that accentuate the small movement in the tide.

Pick a breezy day. Minimum 5 knots upto max 15 knots. SW is best there.

Long down wind casts towards shore into shallow shoreside water with the wind in your back.

Don't worry if your lure is landing in ankle deep water. Too often people fish too deep.

Good Luck :1311_thumbsup_tone2: