Is this ethical (half bitten off snapper)

I've been wondering lately as I've seen the odd shark lately when snapper fishing, what you do when you pull in a snapper and a shark has bitten off most of the fish but what remains of the head is greater than 38cm which is the legal size..... Do you count what's left as a legal fish and include it in your bag limit or do you chuck what's left back into the sea and try again. To my way of thinking if it is 38 cm then it is in your bag limit and is deemed a keeper.What are others views on this..

Fishie thats an interesting question and one I've never thought about. Not that I'd have to worry about it I think.........no chance of a bag limit haul for me :icon_cry:, but its something worth checking out because technically under the law it would count as part of the bag, although I'd be surprised if the officers checking it would be so pedantic.Personally, I could never use that much snapper so I wouldnt have to worry about it. However I have relies who make and love fish head soup so it would come home with me for sure.A question for you though, if you were to throw it back, assuming you'd do it where you were fishing :-\ what if any effect do you think this would have on your ability to get more fish? That is does it spook the rest of the school in any way?

The law also states that the carcass "must remain intact" unless you are eating it out there!

Tony, are you implying that you can only take whole fish legally and not half a fish. I guess it would need to be intact so as to be certain the fish you took was over the legal limit in the first place. CK, snapper do spook easy most of the time even when you lose a fish on a bust off so I wouldn't be tempted to chuck them back over the side on a snapper spot but seeing you release undersize fish back into the water on the same spot asap maybe it is something that has to be done if it is in the confines of the law to do so

Interesting question.Trust you to think of it. :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Perhaps if you brought those snapper up quicker they would not get chance to be chomped :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:Says he that had to have a smoke break on that big un'' :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Pretty ridiculous law to release undersize snapper when "biteys" are about, in my opinion, as they chomp them as they hit the water ???Makes for a well fed shark population and reduces the potential snapper breeding population >:(I believe education is the key in this case, the authorities should immediately release, to every shark in the ocean, a copy of the Fisheries Regulations pertaining to size and bag limits :icon_e_biggrin:

I believe education is the key in this case, the authorities should immediately release, to every shark in the ocean, a copy of the Fisheries Regulations pertaining to size and bag limits

Now that's just stupid, coz sharks cant read!We need fisheries officers to READ the regulations to them! ;)