Which hand for plastics rod

I write with my right hand and just wondering which hand do i reel my line in with.Is it better to control rod with right hand because it is my writing hand or left hand.Do you have better control jigging the rod with right hand because i write with it,Just wondering what other fisho's use writing hand or left hand.Seemed to me when i went fishing on weekend i jig the rod better with my writing hand,But feels a little weird reeling line in with my left hand,But do you get used to it or not.Hope you can help me and understand what i am trying to say.Marc.

Purists will tell you that as a right hander you should be holding the rod with that hand and winding with your left. Personally I think its what ever works for you and catches you fish. I'm sure reeling with the left will feel odd at first, but as with most things time will see that change. In golf I've heard it being called "muscle memory" where you keep doing things until u dont have to think about them anymore. I'm sure this would be similar. Anyway, again its up to you to try I guess and see if one works better over the other for you ;)

I'm right handed and for years always wound the reel with my right hand and held the rod in my left, many years back i tried to swap and hold the rod in my right and wind with my left, it felt awkward and i didn't like it so went back to right hand windwhen i got into soft plastics a few years back now, i soon got sick and tired of casting with my right, then swapping hands so i could then wind with my right. After you have put out a 100 or more casts i soon got tired of keep swapping hands, so again gave the "Other Way" a gonow i wouldn't dream of trying to cast and wind with my right hand and in fact the only reel i now own with a right hand wind is my old Daiwa Millionaire, i even now buy my overheads with left hand winds and would never go back to the old waysBUT! it all boils down to personal preferences and if your happy the way you are thats fine, mind you I'd give it a go the other way, it won't feel "Right" straight away but after a couple of weeks your be wondering why you wasted so much of your fishing time swapping the rod from one hand to the otherbelieve me when snapps and i head out for a days fishing we usually stay out for about 10 hours, how many casts we shoot off in that time would be mind boggling and I'm just glad i made the changecheers chuck

Totally agree with Chuck! Hold the rod in your MASTER hand, and wind with your cacky hand. I resisted the move to this for many years, but finally succumbed to change when I got interested in soft plastics. It took a coupla hours to get used to it, but now I wouldn't consider going back to my old ways!Remember fish will sometimes strike on the drop, so you need to be ready to crank that handle and click the bailarm over quickly too, not wasting time changing hands.

Remember fish will sometimes strike on the drop, so you need to be ready to crank that handle and click the bailarm over quickly too, not wasting time changing hands.

couldnt you just learn to cast with your left hand? i havent done alot of plastics fishing yet so if i sound like a knob just disregard my comment but when i do fish plastics it doesnt seem to be a problem - casting and changing hands. i mean if your gonna fish for 10 hrs like Chuck then it makes sense to adopt a less fatigue method...otherwise just do whats most comfortable.thats my inexperienced oppinion :)

couldnt you just learn to cast with your left hand?.............i mean if your gonna fish for 10 hrs like Chuck then it makes sense to adopt a less fatigue method.

That's the thing. With lure fishing you ARE casting constantly all day, so it only makes sense that you use your master arm for this, not forgetting that is your stronger arm, so when you have a fish on the end, that's the arm holding the rod and it's also more accurate casting with this arm, and accuracy of casts is EVERYTHING, coz you have to place your lure exactly where you want it, under that mangrove, next to that pylon, under that pontoon, etc. Your other weaker arm just turns the handle.

What I do... Which is by no means the right way of doing things...I cast with my right, and jig with my right. But have my gear all set up for HBs, where I wind with my right hand.So I just flick the bail arm as I'm jigging the plastic to get rid of the slack ... keeps the line tight, and works it nice and slowly. Straight after hooking something I swap hands after making sure the lines tight... and wind in with my right. Doesn't make sense to do it this way - but for the plastics I use - bugs or wrigglers for reddys... It works. This thread made me think about maybe changing.

Thanks guy's for your input on the subject.You helped me heaps,I think i will hold the rod in my master hand and reel with my cacky hand.The rod feels better in my master(right) hand and i can control it better and cast better.I spose i will get used to it after a while.Thanks guy's Marc.

Always with the "master" hand Marc, it frustrates the c**p out of me to see people struggling with the wrong hand, when it takes about an hour of flickin' plastics about to be sooo comfortable with thier "master" hand (as Ranger so aptly puts it) :fishing:Adam Royters Soft plastics DVD shows a retrieve method for SP's, where he likens it to patting your head and your tummy at the same time 8)What he is doing is retrieving line with his cacky hand in a jerky motion, and jigging the rod tip with quick short jerks, to impart maximum action to the lure, with his master hand :fishing: :fishing:If you want any more convincing, try doing the same action with the cacky hand working the rod .hissy.Another major advantage is when netting your catch out. The master hand controls the fish 'til it's played out and the cacky merely holds the net in one spot while you guide the fish over it :fishing:Sorry to bleat on about it so much but one thing I do promise you is that you WILL get more enjoyment from your fishing, it's less tiring and more importantly you'll catch more fish too mate. :fishing:Cheers, tonyb.

it frustrates the c**p out of me to see people struggling with the wrong hand, when it takes about an hour of flickin' plastics about to be sooo comfortable with thier "master" hand (as Ranger so aptly puts it)

I was a bait only fisho for many many years, and only changed hands myself when I got into lure fishing. Prior to the whole lure thing I was just a master.....baiter! :icon_eek:

And every time ya buy a reel, the first thing ya have to do is turn the handle around!

I was just having a flick through the latest issue of wildcoat and amoungst all the bream and SP fishing articles there was not one pic of outfits set up for "cacy hand" winding.

That's really interesting, coz every local angler I know (and they are the one's who should be in that magazine) winds cacky handed! I'll have to grab a copy of the latest!

yep just flicked through one reel out of around 30 was cacky handed the rest right handed and did you ever ask your selves if theres a reason its called the right hand MAYBE COS ITS HE RIGHT HAND TO USE ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm going to give swapping it around a shot but for years now I've fished with my strong hand on the winding action. I've never seemed to have issues using my left hand to jig or give action to the rod and swapping hands after casting is such a non issue i dunno why its even mentioned, takes about 1/10 of a second... pfft.But, I'll give the other way a shot and see if I prefer it after trying it out a few times.