Shark_Fisho wrote:

Go on hot still bights with little wind, use gents and dip the gents in tuna oil, use plenty of burley

plenty of burley... i differe of opinion as they arent heavy eaters.. dont wanna feed them up on the berley or they wont take ya bait! keep baits small too they dont have a huge gob..ofcourse with everything.. everyone has different techniques and thoughts on it all. lol

Re: Help catching garGidday sandyW garfishing off the beach/rocks is best with an offshore wind,or light breeze, and a falling tide as this should carry your burly and float in the same general direction also it(the Wind and Tide) will be taking small morsels from beach to sea,early morning or late arvo is good.Not too much burley ,bread/branPS This is a post from january 09.(Help catching gar)Cheers peelipeeli14

Here is an old post from "brenton" which may help If you go search forum for how i butterfly fillet gar and you can view the photos to accompany the instructions Cheers peelipeeli14An often asked question is "how do i butterfly fillet a gar"well this is how i do it.I use a rounded butter knife sharpened to a nice edge.put the knife right through the fish just below its butt and cut down to the tail.now cut towards the head but don't cut through the ribs,then slice down behind the head too the backbone.now with an angled knife cut through the pin bones but over the top of the ribs but don't cut all the way through the fish and leave the gut intact.It will look like this when done but fold it back into place and turn the fish over.this time start with the downward cut behind the head then with an angled knife again run the knife towards the tail cutting through the pin bones but not the ribs.like this.then pick up the fish and fold the fillet near the head so it is skin on skin and tear the fillet away from the fish,it is important to get it started correctly so you don't end up with any black on the fillet.the end result is a clean fillet without any mess on the board or the fillet.Any errors you make like cutting through the ribs should be corrected before you start to tear the fillet away from the belly or you will get black lining on your fillet.It takes about 35 seconds per fish once you are proficient.cheers brenton .
Mick Z wrote:

Hi Guys,I love catching them (Gar)but have a hell of a time trying to fillet them, is there an easy way to go about it as I usually make a mess of them.CheersMickZ

ive never seen it done, but a bloke at work butterflys then, he says he just slices down the backbone from the top, then oens them out like a butterfly.easy to sccop the insides out, and he says it gives a real nice size fillet

I think the key with burly is lots of smell not much substance. We find a rag soaked in tuna oil just hanging over the back of the boat just out of the water so it touches the water when a wave comes along. Ive heard of people soaking cotton wool in tuna oil and putting that in your float. Smae Idea I guess but I've never tried it.