What have you caught out of Westlakes??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice fish m8. 've caught the usual bream, mullet and salmon trout (most on bait, only just started using soft plastics). 2 mulloway on bait that were both about 110cm. and once i caught i realy wierd fish on a pilchard. it looked sort of like a cat fish with out the whiskers and it was similar to a flat head in colour..lc

Guest dabilda

I've caught everyones usual in West lakes, BreamKGWMulletSalmon TroutGarAlthough I am yet to catch anything of legal size there. All caught on bait, I'm still waiting for my first capture on SP's but I really haven't had time to give them a serious try for a while.DaBilda

The best catch from West Lakes has to be the cuttlefish caught by Enzo about 3 weeks back, nothing unusual about that, except it was caught by hand, no not a hand line, by hand, Enzo just grabbed him by the back of his neck as the cuttlie was swimming alongside of the rocks, where we all met last sunday.Enzo has yet to join the forum, as he has just started on the internet and is learning his way around the keyboard, tomorrow i hope to sign him on, he was at the Social Day, met a few of the people involved, and loves his fishing.[/color:vcvr9l88]

• 1 month later...

hey guys i havnt been on the site 4 ages cause my comp broke down but im borrowing one now glad to see there are lots of familiar people still contributing aswell as some new names and faces.any way back to wierd fish out the lake i just thought i list my ones, iv caoght all these in about 3-4 years of fishing soft plastics in the lake. besides bream, mullet, salmon, mulloway.flatiesflounder fresh water eels, caties & carp wich came through the drains near the inletparoit fishand iv seen legal snapper & trevally caoght

In addition to the species listed :Squid are more plentiful than you think;King George Whiting I have caught there consistently at the right time of year;Yellowfin Whiting;Jumping Mullet, and;believe it or not, a bloke I know landed a (rather sick looking) bronzie of around 3ft near the southern end about 3-4yrs ago. {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif Took a whole pillie if I remember correctly, after he spotted it cruising along the steps in front of him.Cheers,Goat Herder

Having difficulty locating aformentioned pic lads, I think it might be on a hard disk.. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif I will do my best to dig it up, I was 90% sure I had it saved on my pc. See what I can come up with, coz seeing is believing.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

T'was a young lad went cage diving with Rolf on Calypso Star outta Lincoln!

Having difficulty locating aformentioned pic lads, I think it might be on a hard disk.. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif I will do my best to dig it up, I was 90% sure I had it saved on my pc. See what I can come up with, coz seeing is believing.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

T'was a young lad went cage diving with Rolf on Calypso Star outta Lincoln!
It was bennyboy who went shark diving[/color:1oh2x2o2]

Just wanted to see the different things people had caught out of west lakes on lures and bait.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifHeres a few of my recent pics..Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Well done Luke I have been wondering about flathead in the lake . Then I scared one hell of a large one when walking along the footpath. Had a small one like you have caught try and take a fly.Monady last week I lost 6 squid on my flies the largest would have been around 30cms . Never knew Squid lived in the lake.I should add I caught Bream And St's on flies in the lake ,Bream on bait before I used flies.Been broken off by some big fish swimming with the st's .Seen A dead catfish in the lake of around 60cmsand have seen the odd flounder picked one up of a step and released it back in the waterAnd have seen some KG whiting as well.

That is the craziest thing i have ever seen {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif, a shark in westlakes....

Rumour has it that there might be a few more floating around the place. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif There is a whisper that some cowboys from Grange jetty have dumped a few little bronzies in The Lake over the years. I'd have thought however, that if they exist, they would've been spied by now cruising the shallows. Certainly no shortage of food in there for them if they were in The Lake.Cheers,Wino

4 sure there were Bronzies put in there by Grange anglers, Probably been mostly caught by now, well hopefuly anyhow!

Yak did they put them in before or after they flushed the lake with freshwater ?Having said that I saw a freshwater turtle swimming and then getting out of the lake last year .didnt take a pic I am afriad.