SQUID JIG RIGS

gday guys im getting ready to head out in my kayak in 6 weeks i know its early not much else to do! But im interested in some info on squidding from the yak or the jetty or a boat as i have never had much luck at all with catching squid. I would like some tips on rigs used and jags and maybe what to look for when casting or paddling in my yak. ie weed beds surrounded by sand patches or vica versa? any info would be much appreciated thanks Reelin! :)

hey, when i go in the boat i dont use any rigs as such, just a hand line with a snap swivel on the end. clip on the squid jag (mostly yozuri and Blue is my fav atm) and retrieve in a jigging fashion. Ive never really used a rod for squidding so its a bit uncomfortable for me.In rough conditions i think you can rig a squid jag similar to a whiting rig. sinker at the bottom and 30 cm or so up the line attach ur jag.

hey reelinI love squidding its great fun. In the boat we drift over weed or reef. No particular rig just a squid jag attached via a snap to the mainline just like micko13. If the drifts a bit fast we attach a sinker to keep the jag down. Keep the jag as close to the bottomas posible. I prefer to use a light rod over a handline as the rod has a bit of flexability and a slightly hooked squid has less chance of escapiing if you can ease him in. I swear by yozuri squid jags and wont use anything else but everyones different. The bright yellow/green colour is a gun. Nice overcast days seem to work well for me.

ive always had most sucess on a very old pink yo zuri i have...so old its almost white in colour.but squid annoy me sometimes... ive read they are colour blind, so who cares what colour the jig is.yet 2 identical jigs, in different colours wont have the same success rate some days.workmates missus collects jigs...she doesnt do a lot of fishing, but at last count she had over 30 of them...she even had one that when it got wet, it started flashing.

Thanks guys for all your info! :) i have to say my favourite jig which i seem to catch my squid on is an old surecatch pink one with a 3.5 weight on it it looks almost identical to the one on the end in fushlups photo, its funny because although i bought a new pack a while ago i still always use my old trusty (or maybe that should be old rusty :laugh:) first. I mostly use the jig clipped to a snap tied straight to the mainline as some people have said above but i mustnt be fishing the right spots at the right time! I did see one guy at the pt noarlunga jetty fishing with the jig about a metre under a float he caught a squid while i was watching but i had never seen this rig before! any thoughts on that?

• 1 year later...
Thanks guys for all your info! :) i have to say my favourite jig which i seem to catch my squid on is an old surecatch pink one with a 3.5 weight on it it looks almost identical to the one on the end in fushlups photo' date=' its funny because although i bought a new pack a while ago i still always use my old trusty (or maybe that should be old rusty :laugh:) first. I mostly use the jig clipped to a snap tied straight to the mainline as some people have said above but i mustnt be fishing the right spots at the right time! I did see one guy at the pt noarlunga jetty fishing with the jig about a metre under a float he caught a squid while i was watching but i had never seen this rig before! any thoughts on that?[/quote']I was just about to comment that FL's picture is awesome and my pick for cream of the crop is the end Pink one. I have been using a Pink Yo-Zuri Oita for years and slaying the squid with it. When in the Yak Reelin, the key is to cast and let your jag sink a fair bit. If you are occasionally retrieving it in and finding strips of ribbon weed on it then your in with a good chance of finding squid.I like a fairly slow retrieve down deep but with good solid flicks of the rod tip of about 1metre. This gives the Yo-Zuri a great fleeing prawn action.The other jag to buy is the plain Lumo jag. These are devastatingly good just on dark and after the sun goes down and they are as cheap as to buy. I too like the 3.5 size as it gives you plenty of casting distance and I find the key to squiding is to cover a bit of ground and have good casting range. if you catch a squid, cast back out in the same direction as squid often swim in pairs or more.Cheers and happy Egiiing.

I did see one guy at the pt noarlunga jetty fishing with the jig about a metre under a float he caught a squid while i was watching but i had never seen this rig before! any thoughts on that?

Reelin this is a very common rig used on Jetties, with the jig set at a depth with a little stopper above the float so your jig sinks to the required depth. You can just leave this rig out in the water and let the swell/wave movement impart the action onto your jig to attract the squiddlies. The closer to the bottom the better, you can alter the depth by moving your stopper up or down the line. This rig can be used with a handline or rod, and you can replace the jig with a teaser Tommie or spiked Tommie.Any squidding I do is land based, and I usually move up and down the jetty/rocks stopping and casting every 5 or 10 metres to cover as much area as possible. I like to cast and let the jig sink to near the bottom and retrieve it with a lifting and sinking action, slowly, until I find a tasty Cephalopod, and then as said before if you get one there is usually more. Shallow water can be very productive. ;) It can be great sight fishing fun :woohoo: .Good luck.

Haha bloody hell this is an old topic!It feels more like five years ago rather than 18 months i have to say the advice was good! but since i posted that ive been slaying the squid in my yak :laugh: and my new favourite jag as ive said in other posts is the yo zuri red head glow white body! never fails!

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_0214_2011-06-09.jpg

30012010183.jpg

Forgot to add i use a slow drift in the kayak and cast and retrieve slowly with plenty of pauses and make sure the jag gets right to the bottom before lifting each time! i also usually sit a jag straight down in the rod holder as im casting the other one that sits just off the bottom and just uses momentum from the yak to get a jigging action just in case a school cruises past under me! i have to say both techniques catch me squid!