The big ONE that got away

So its Friday morning and my RDO.We've had a cool change and the heat returns Saturday for at least the next week temps up to 37 c.Anyway I headed back to West lakes and the same area I fished last week.With the sun not being fully up I was a bit hesitant as the Bream like to sit in the sun .BUT I could see fish moving in ankle deep water.And I went in for the kill being the predator I am lol.Anyway all this resulted in was schools of scared fish.They weren't Bream perhaps mullet or Whiting .So I continued on for a few more casts and nothing.Deciding to head to the next beach with a northish wind blowing off I trudged.Getting to the spot I had my hook up last Saturday I went back in after .But the numbers of fish weren't there they weren't feeding.I did chase some small schools of fish for nothing.With the wind making it hard to cast I turned and headed in the other direction.I came across some fish "tailing" in some very shallow water .Every time I tried to cast the wind would push my fly to close to the shore.Once again I succeeded in scaring the fish off.So standing there and casting I had a brain fade and was just moving the popper fly across the water.when I noticed water movement behind the fly (ok kiddies lets cue the jaws music here ).It was following the moving fly I stopped it stopped .I gave one quick flick of the fly the fish attacked .I have no idea what this fish was .I was madly trying to get my fly line back on the reel I needed not have bothered.This fish was stripping line I couldn't believe it.I still couldn't see it and in all this fight lasted 2 to 3 minutes.Me madly trying to get back to dry land the fish heading back to deeper water .It took this fly in calf deep water and I could not see the damn fish.Line stripping rod bending fun .But I lost it I retraced my steps went back to where I started from .I walked that same section of beach but nothing .So that happened between 7.30 and 8.30 am .With no luck I headed back to beach 1 nothing nada would touch this pink popper I was still scaring off Mullet or whiting schools .Half way through this beach I stopped and changed to a yellow popper.Fourth cast and pop tiny bream was a jumping.A few more casts then I cast next to a rock in very shallow water.Bang I'm on with a small bream and that's right my bad luck continues I lost that one.I continued up the rest of this stretch nothing a few pops but nothing.So back to beach number 2 and I find bait fish schools and schools of tiny garfish.and let me tell u every time a fish jumped fish circles etc I cast at themI kept the popper moving I had the popper still but nothing .So I decided to head home.Almost back to the car there's fish moving the water so like a good predator I went back in.Other than scaring a large whiting and sinking in a stinking black mud hole that was my almost 3 hours .And whatever that fish was it was big and stripped line and got my heart a pumping.Cheers

brenton wrote:

I'll see if i can catch him for you soon Micky :lol: Did he pop your leader or spit the fly? cheers brenton

whatever it was but general opinion in this post says mulloway (seeing neither Bream or ST has stripped line on me before)I bet u will Brenton or I will :laugh: Surprisingly he spat the fly I took some advice from Joe(from the club the president the boss man :) ) and used a different stronger joining knot.Something that had been bothering me for some time .Now it does debunk that thought that only small fish take small flies in my mind at least ;) Funny watching the water move behind the fly then stop and start when I moved the fly again.Bait fish schools plus small garfish mullet and whiting back in the lake guys .

Nice way to spend an RDO Mickyj, very relaxing except for the raised pulse-rate :woohoo: Sounds like a schoolie to me and a shame he didn't get hooked properly.Had the same thing down the Onk numerous times when bringing the fly in fast along the surface, a wake appears behind it, or a swirl and a grab for a second (mini tug-of-war) then nothing lol.I'm usually off with the fairies and not paying 100% attention anyway.Won't be long now! Keep up the good reads..

Tonka wrote:

Nice way to spend an RDO Mickyj, very relaxing except for the raised pulse-rate :woohoo: Sounds like a schoolie to me and a shame he didn't get hooked properly.Had the same thing down the Onk numerous times when bringing the fly in fast along the surface, a wake appears behind it, or a swirl and a grab for a second (mini tug-of-war) then nothing lol.I'm usually off with the fairies and not paying 100% attention anyway.Won't be long now! Keep up the good reads..

Went back today to the same spot and caught up with Brenton both hoping we would do well .But for me luck would have it for 2 1/2 hours nothing.I started out with a very small foam popper that nothing would touch .Swapped over to a larger body but only the tiddlers were a popping .Different spot tomorrow.