Is it vital what kind of backing is used when spooling braid? Obviously you use mono, and I would assume of approx the same weight/diametre.... where do you get your backing from? I've previously used some cheap daiwa mono that you get from big W!Spooling up my stradic 3000 with 10lb and 20lb on the spare, wanting to know what to back up with? Any advice is appreciated :cheer:

Hey mate I might be wrong but I use whatever is similar in weight/diameter cheap or not. Basically if its close enough then why not. My thinking is its only to stop the braid from slipping nd if you make it to the backing then you've lost that fish anyway. Like i said just my opinion could be wrong :P

I usually like to keep an eye out for anything cheap (& generally nasty) in the sale bins in tackle stores & the like purely for use as backing. As others have said try & keep it a similar breaking strain & dia. as your braid mainline if possible. I have that many leftover half filled spools of mono. lying around from spooling reels I just use whatever is close most of the time.

I've used each of the methods mentioned above.A quick wrap of electrical or non-fabric duct tape works in stopping the braid from slipping.However, I'm slightly more of a fan of using a small amount of mono. I usually use just enough mono to pretty much cover the metal of the spool, then albright it to your braid. On a small reel with 6 to 10 pond braid I'll use 4 to 8 pound mono for backing; though on my bigger Penn I used a few winds of 48 pound mono before spooling it with 60 pound braid.Good luck with it. Tight lines.