LOCAL OR IMPORT (Chocolate) DO WE HAVE A CHOICE?????

The Cockle Conundrum Continues[/size:2twij2y0][/color:2twij2y0]In November the price of Goolwa Cockles doubled, since then wholesale price rose $20 in February and then $20 again in the first week of April and there is no respite on the horizon with freezing cost being factored in over winter. Amidst all the concern and banter about the Goolwa Pipis availability and pricing; Enter a new player; the Chinese Cockle-Clam!Brought into suppliment the dwindling available stocks of Goolwa Cockles, it is hoped that these white and brown clams can keep both Anglers happy and Whiting on hooks! Closely resembling a Belgian sweet these Clams have been quickly dubbed the "Chocolate Cockle!"Whilst we still have the local product, as of this week, stocks are being topped up some of these imports too. The availability of this bait will ensure everyone who wants to use Cockle flesh for bait will be able to; But dont expect to buy a sack, they're still a finite supply.The Asian Cockle Clams- are mid sized; While generally not as long as the Goolwa Pipi these imports have deeper bodies and are absolutely Packed with white flesh; moreso than their local counterparts. While we all hope local supplies improve there is little prospect of that over winter so we might all get better aquainted with the Chocolate Cockle!What do you think??Finatic & YAK size=533http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/sCKTVzM2__import_cockles.jpg[/img] size=533http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/TOv9Zkd7__local_or_import_cockles.jpg[/img]

Velly intellesting! I never thought I'd see the day we'd be importing cockles from China!I've got a question though! What about our local "mud" cockles [i:27daneap]Katalysia[/i:27daneap] as a ready source of bait, instead of imported goods?There's a bag limit of 300 p/p on these. They can be collected from the section bank or northern areas, and I "believe" ya can buy sacks of them at the Torrens Island market!As for chocolate.......well, it's Cadbury (Australian made) Dairy Milk, or it just.......AIN'T! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

The price of cockles is a concern but with the limit of K/G at 12 per person i suppose the cost of a bag limit has remained about the same albiet with less fillets in the freezer.I only berley with the empty shells anyway so i,m not losing out there.I'll have a look at the chocolates at some time no doubt. cheers brenton

Mud cockles can be used for bait, ive used 'em, but id rather eat them!There are some considerations which limit the potential of Mud Cockles as a potential bait;1. the shell to meat ratio is unfavourable with 1-2 whole cockles per hook, essentially the mud cockle is smaller anyhow, but the proportion of meat to shell is generally less than that of a Goolwa Pippi. The 'Chocholate" Cockles are jammed packed full of meat.2. Mud Cockles are well established in the food market, with demmand often outstripping supply3. Shifting heavy reliance to this fishery could compromise it future and with current regulation could end up much the same as the goolwa fishery.By the way Mud Cockles are fantastic to eat, in terms of flavour they are one of the most highly regarded clams, I find them sweeter and less sandy (quicker to purge)than Pipis, Its shame they're so small!just something to think about......

G"day lads, to be honest its a sad sad time for SA fishos , just the fact we even have to be having this discussion is horrendus.Cant believe its come down to having to import cockles from China,unbelievable {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gifI guess we all have to worry about lining our nests, and if the pros are getting twice or three times the money from OS food markets for Goolwas , they would be mad to knock it back.With the cost of fuel, ect ,living , blah, blah we all know the story.I for one will never take the old cockle for granted again, Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

After talking some mates in both the wholesale and retail bait trade I did some research of my own on cockles.First up it seems that few if any local Goolwa cockles are going OS.Some are going to NSW for food,some to Vic for bait and food,some to SA for bait.The problem appears to be that the cockles have gone into "winter mode" a few months early and are just plain hard to get in any quantity.The other interesting thing I found out,after a lot of phone calls is that the Chinese cockles,apparently,do not have a Quarantine certificate from AQIS for bait.They are certified for food,but not for use in the marine environment.Apparently bait use requires a seperate certificate and a different form of irradiation to food use.I actually rang AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) to check for my self and there advice was that "the matter is being reviewed" pending further action.I guess we will have to wait and see the end result.

I did some research of my own on cockles.First up it seems that few if any local Goolwa cockles are going OS.Some are going to NSW for food,some to Vic for bait and food,some to SA for bait.The problem appears to be that the cockles have gone into "winter mode" a few months early and are just plain hard to get in any quantity.

No so!!!I've got a few mates down there hunting for their own, and they're currently raving about the numbers of cockles they're getting!

took the rugrat's to Goolwa yesterday. Glad to see the cockles are still plentiful.We grabbed a 10 litre bucket full in a 2 hour session. The water was quite warm too

we got a heap too. Towards high tide they came up thick. At nearly $10 a kilo and going up it's worth the trip.

I was really surprised how many we were getting. We were just about to pull the pin and shifted a bit deeper when 'bang' we were grabbing a handfull each time.

What gives? We're told they're in short supply and there's none around down at Goolwa at the moment, yet the guys down there hunting for them are saying they're plentiful?Are the's pro now capitalizing, and misinforming us?

The other interesting thing I found out,after a lot of phone calls is that the Chinese cockles,apparently,do not have a Quarantine certificate from AQIS for bait.They are certified for food,but not for use in the marine environment.Apparently bait use requires a seperate certificate and a different form of irradiation to food use.I actually rang AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) to check for my self and there advice was that "the matter is being reviewed" pending further action.I guess we will have to wait and see the end result.

That's some very interesting information, and it seems quite a stuff up on someone's behalf, coz our quarantine laws here are pretty strict and well enforced as a rule, and AQIS is generally on the ball!Another member here broached the issue of diseases not so long back, and I dont think he got any answers on his queries!My own belief is that these cockles have "probably" been frozen for in excess of one month, which will kill off MOST organisms, although not all. I'm only guessing at that though!I dont wanna influence anyone else's decision, but personally, I wont be purchasing these imported cockles until I've had further clarification. I've still got a supply of my own Goolwa cockles in the freezer, so if and/or when I expend my own supply, I'll be using squid, worms and gulp.I'll be very interested to hear what comes of this! Thanks for that background okym!

Some very good points there. Regarding the certificate, thats something we wanna clear up quick! As far as being frozen goes, Ranger is right most Bacteria will probably be killed off, I am not howver so sure about Virus' they might carry as these arent alive to start with! I'll have to ask some questions....unless someone wants to beat me to it, which id much appriciate!!!

Regarding the certificate, thats something we wanna clear up quick! As far as being frozen goes, Ranger is right most Bacteria will probably be killed off, I am not howver so sure about Virus' they might carry as these arent alive to start with! I'll have to ask some questions....unless someone wants to beat me to it, which id much appriciate!!!

T'is gonna be pretty involved, but I'm happy to follow this one up if ya like, coz this one's down my alley, and given that I also have a Chinese interpreter here if it comes to contacting the source!There could be more than just virus and bacteria involved too, especially if these cockles happen to be live (which I would seriously doubt).Dave if ya have the info at hand, can ya supply me wiv whatever you have, hopefully including the genus and species of these cockles, the importation certificate and the contact details of ya supplier please, then I can begin by contacting AQIS and SARDI research facility.HOPEFULLY, it'll turn out that our concerns aren't justified, and we may be making a mountain out of a molehill, but I'd like to get some answers myself, given the mistakes which have been made in the past!
  • 2 weeks later...

any more info on these imports yet? {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif

Yes Ian, but not enough yet to satisfy everyone!I've been in contact with AQIS and these cockles fall into the category of "Bait for aquatic purposes".An import permit must be applied for under this category, and a risk assesment is performed by "AQIS - Canberra Biologicals".So YES, it seems for them to be here in use, strict procedures have been set down and performed with all our worries allayed.I still need to get in contact with Canberra Biologicals for more info for ya though, so then I'd also be able to tell ya what risks are deemed, if any, or what procedure/treatment is performed to dispel any risk, and I haven't done that yet. If I have time available, I'll try to get onto that either this arvo, or in the coming few days.Now I don't know who the supplier is, or what his permit number is, so I cant give ya details on these exact cockles, but rest assured, for quantities such as this to get into the country, all concerns must have been addressed and relevant permits issued!Control measures in this country are pretty damn good, and even if the government here is bl**dy useless, this is one government "department" which is on the ball and reliable, so if ya need cockles, GET AMONGST EM!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifI'll let you know more as I know more! Sorry about overlooking this one for awhile!

I'll let you know more as I know more!

OK, now I'm gonna be the bearer of bad news, and sorry if this one stirs up a hornet's nest!I've just gotten off the phone with AQIS Biologicals in Canberra, who have given me a different story!Ya can call em yaself if you have concerns: (02) 6272 4578.YES, cockles do need to be imported as "Bait for Aquatic Purposes" with an import permit required!Unfortunately, this ISN'T aways happening, and investigations are currently underway, as AQIS is aware that cockles are being imported into Australia as "tablefare" but are being illegally diverted to the "bait" market! so YES, there is further proof of the concerns Okym raised earlier in this thread!Now of course they're not gonna release information on who, when, where, or quantities involved, especially to someone like me, but I've been advised to ensure when we purchase cockles, to obtain proof from the distributor/supplier/retailer that they are a product of Australia, OR that the relevant import permit can be produced or verified!I've also been advised that if your supplier/distributor/retailer cannot supply this proof, to be very dubious about making a purchase!I actually did not expect to hear this information, and it came as a bit of a shock to me!

Dave if ya have the info at hand, can ya supply me wiv whatever you have, hopefully including the genus and species of these cockles, the importation certificate and the contact details of ya supplier please

Yakattack, I didn't hear back from ya on this one, so could I also ask that you get yaself or Kym to check wiv ya supplier that all IS in order here, and get proof of the importation permit if you haven't already checked this? Not to make any unjustified allegations him or his importer, but just to safeguard yaselves AND us, so that we all know everything is cool here with the cockles here on our SA market!I would still hope and expect that everything here in SA is kosher and above board, coz I trust MY retailer, but now I'm a little wiser to what CAN go on.I damn well hope those importers who aren't doing the right thing and are taking stupid risks with OUR environment get busted quick smart, and have the bl**dy book thrown at them!!! Nothin but #%&^@%# ENVIRONMENTAL VANDALS tryin to make a quick buck at the expense of anything and everything! >:( >:({SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" />

OK, just to put things right B4 we all shoot our loads over nothing. An interstate bait & seafood outlet imported a small amount of the said pipis some months ago. This was done for obvious reasons. We here in SA can't get our local cockles, how do you think the interstate stores have faired out of this, they have had none. The appropriate irradiation permits were sought, the pipis (clams) were on sold, most to the VICS, some to SA, some even to local stores, why, so you could go fishing even when there were no locals.Now, as they have been successful, another major shipment is about to land in Aust, it too has the appropriate certificates or it would not have left its mother country.AQIS are aware of the shipment & all is OK. They have stipulated a more thorough irradiation process with this shipment & expect no issues to arise.Those of us with a problem about import clams, my suggestion, relax "I FISH" is back on so you won't have to go fishin' for a fix, we are all well over the cockle dilema ourselves let alone the rest of the populas moaning over an unchangable situation.FINATIC

The appropriate irradiation permits were sought, the pipis (clams) were on sold, most to the VICS, some to SA, some even to local stores, why, so you could go fishing even when there were no locals.Now, as they have been successful, another major shipment is about to land in Aust, it too has the appropriate certificates or it would not have left its mother country.AQIS are aware of the shipment & all is OK. They have stipulated a more thorough irradiation process with this shipment & expect no issues to arise.

That's all I wanted to hear! Just a re-assurance that everything here in SA is AOK, thanks Finatic! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifI'm not happy about having to import anything into this country (oranges from USA, cars from Europe, electrical goods from Japan, clothing from Asia, fuel from the Middle East, brides from Russia, cockles from China, etc, etc) but unfortunately sometimes we don't have a choice if'n we want these products.So long as I know they're imported legally, they aint doing Australians out of a job, they're clean, they're fairly priced and they're effective, then yep I'll also be purchasing them as the need arises! I sure hope our local product makes a quick comeback though, coz I'd rather be purchasing that, and I'd even pay extra to purchase that!I believe the importer here in SA has outsourced to find a comparable product, simply to keep the fishermen supplied, while our normal local product is unavailable. So once again it seems while things are turning to crap interstate, South Australia is leading the way and showing how it SHOULD be done!While we're on this subject of importation though, could someone have a chat with the importer to find out about relevent permits to import politicians, coz I recon the Chinese could make politicians smaller, faster and cheaper than the outdated versions we're currently using here! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

Forums do not daunt me in the slightest.After 25 years in the Bait Tackle and Marine industry I just tend to keep to myself and comment only if and when neccessary.My original post was only made after doing my homework in order to make sure that any bait purchase I made for the shop I work for was done according to the letter of the law.At the time that was the advice that I received.If the situation has changed,great.Rest assured,my comment's/post's may be few and far between at times,but they will be made based on research or personal knowledge.okym

im just waiting for ranger to go cockling again maybe i can hitch a ride {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

With your knees and back mate? {SMILIES_PATH}/undecided.gifWhen we go though, yep, you're welcome to come along. It probably wont be till around December though!

My original post was only made after doing my homework in order to make sure that any bait purchase I made for the shop I work for was done according to the letter of the law.At the time that was the advice that I received.If the situation has changed,great.Rest assured,my comment's/post's may be few and far between at times,but they will be made based on research or personal knowledge.

Okym, I for one welcome your input!Let's face it, this is the first time we've seen these imported cockles, and many of us had questions about something new to us on the market.Even though we have nothing to worry about here in SA now, you pointed out practices which are occuring in the industry, and I think we're now ALL a little wiser for knowing what can and does go on! As retailers, both yourself and Finatic could be at risk if you didn't have this background knowledge, and I wouldn't like to see either of you purchase goods in good faith, only to have them seized later under customs and importation laws, simply coz some unscrupulous operator took advantage of the uninformed. I trust you're both smart enough to do your homework first though, and only deal with the reputable, but us as mere rec anglers don't always consider these things, so to us, information is valuable. I know I'd hate to purchase a sack of cockles cheap at the market, only to find out later I've actually dealt with the unscrupulous and inadvertantly put at risk our marine environment by using the product! Forewarned is forearmed!

i can stay on the beach and cook the barbie while you collect my share lol

I might give ya a hand stayin back wiv that barbie mate. After all, we have WIVES! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

just out of intrest what is the price of the imported ones over the counter ?

Last Tuesday I went to one of my local shops and they wanted $12.95kg I didnt buy them ( at that point I wasnt sure about them) and went to another shop, where i found our local frozen numbers at $15.00kg so I got 2 kg (some to freeze before they get to $20kg) and then went fishing in the rain. {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif
  • 1 month later...

Rest assured guys, the Chocolate Cockle is back. Just rec'd the latest shipment of double irradiated import clam, they look OK. Get used to them cause they ain't going away, not at least until November 1st. How much??? Well my guess would be around $11 a kg, give or take a bit, to consider freight charges, freezer storage fees etc. All hail the great Goolwa Cockle & hope like buggery next season is better than last. Finatic

Just wanted to let you all know that at this point in time ST KILDA TACKLE has a good supply of GOOLWA Cockles , the price is not exorbitant. Really came down to which supplier you were with during the season , we weren't going to advertise it too loudly but to the Strike and Hook members we will. :)