pipi poaching

Disappointed to read on the pirsa website that 27 fisher people were caught with 12000 undersized pipis. Going off that I would be guessing that quite a few were over the bag limit too :angry: . :angry: I just dont understand why it is so hard for people to follow some rules, especially when it affects the future of something that is obviously fairly important too them. Or are some too short sighted to see that what they do today affects tomorrow. Sure as recreational fishos we are being shafted but thats another topic and every little bit helps.

im with ya vb4me! :angry: im going to goolwa on the weekend and i didnt even think of taking any cockles as there is a shortage and i still have enuff from last year! fair enuff taking your limit but undersize ones are no go and they should be ashamed! because what are they gonna catch their undersize king george and snapper on when there is no more cockles left :angry::angry: grrr

Narrow minded people VB !!Short term gain with no longe term thoughts.It's these same people that will be sitting there in 20, 30, 40 years complaining about how the stocks have been raped by the pros etc..etc.. etc...If we could all just follow the rules, I mean if they really wanted to fill the freezer, yeah sure a bit more in petrol money, but hey there some satisfaction there knowing you have gone about it the right way and still scored well. Just like bagging out... hhhmmm.....

It definitely seems to be a mind set. Is it bragging rights as in I can catch/collect more than the next guy, so I am super hunter? :unsure: I am all for people catchin a good feed and even some for later or catchin enough bait to last a few sessions but there is definitely a point where greed takes over. I mean the pro sector does need to be looked as well, I saw the Gold Coast fishing decline dramatically because of the freedoms allowed to the pros but since moving here i have heard too many people bragging of exceeding the bag or getting the bag limit then going out on successive days and loading that freezer. Imho there just arent enough fisheries officers around to enforce their regulations.

sux dont it...where i get my cockles, there is no need to measure any of them...the last time i went, i stopped 400 short of my limit.... i had enough, and 21kg will see me out for the year....whos to blame for the undersize catches?the persons getting them for one, and also the inflated price of shop bought cockles...ive ALWAYS bought mine, but the price was not justified for me to do so..it cost me about 50 bucks in fuel, to go get enough and then some for the years fishing.i dont use them much, as snapper prefer squid...but i do go off the jetty and beaches, and the occasional boat trip and i will use them thats for sure.in fact, i used about half a kg last night stuffing around for gar and shitties....they are as soft as buggery, but salt toughend them up very well...

rangfish wrote:

It is idiots like this that ruin it for everyone else! :angry:If people learned to take only what they need we may not have these new laws on the taking of Goowla cockles being put in place. :(

so true.... my bro uses his boat a LOT.... he went down and got cockles as well, and hes still got a few left.... he wants some of mine, but NOPE.... get ya own.... :) so he might be planning a trip down to get some soon...even with the 300 limit, its still cheaper than buying them..ad they are so big, you get 3-4 baits out of one cockle