Can u use carp for bait?

Actualy, a friend of mine went on a house boat on th murry a while back and hey caught some carp and callophe cooked them both up and served them on a plate and everyone ate the carp first coz they thoughtit was the callop coz they recon it tasted better!!Does anyone out there know how to cook carp, they recon cooking it different waysmakes it taste nice!

I believe the ethnic community prefer the belly fillet and they soak it in lemon juice and water and whack it in the fridge for 24-36hrs, under the premise that it dissolves, or at least softens the bones. Then they cook it any which way. Personally, I'd go for the old adage of boiling it with a brick, chucking the carp and eating the brick! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Crab, shrimp & yabby bait and fertiliser for your garden is all I'd bother using 'em for.Cheers,GH

i have had one mud baked before in the coals of a fire...

Ditto! When the mud is peeled away, the skin is removed with it, and that gets rid of a lot of the "muddy/dirty taste", but at the end of the day, it was still carp and still full of bones.I also had it soaked in a brine and smoked. That actually made it half palatable!

but to be honest i tasted much like a fish cooked in mud.. and lots of bones..

From all reports a mud baked carp generally has these qualities {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif

All depends how you prepare them my grandmother is german/slovak background and always served them up very well,,,,by the way I don't get the german croats comment before but if it was meant as a racist remark then get a carp up ya,if not disregard my comments.......

Carp is a good saltwater bait as it contains alot of oil and blood. I have caught plenty of fish on carp. It is regularly used when bottom bouncing off NSW and often takes good snapper.I have caught bream to 38cm in Westlakes on carp. I have also caught 50cm slamon, legal flatties, tommies, slimy mackeral, yellowtail, tailor and trevally on carp. It will work for any fish which eats other fish.The trick is to cut strips from the blood line and fish them unweighed or very lightly weighed. Mash the rest of the flesh and throw in very small pieces for burley.It is also a fantastic crab bait and also works well for sharks.

Carp dead that is make good snapper bait {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that re-introducing noxious fish to waterways was illiegal,

The legislation as it stands reads something like Any fish that has been kept apart from its natural habitat, aqaurium fish and or farm fish must not be returned to the water make of it what you will
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest undertaker

Carp dead that is make good snapper bait {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that re-introducing noxious fish to waterways was illiegal,

The legislation as it stands reads something like Any fish that has been kept apart from its natural habitat, aqaurium fish and or farm fish must not be returned to the water make of it what you will
I think the missing word here is "ALIVE"I was rigging with a 2kg carp at Stenhouse Bay once,and the Fisheries Inspectors were on the jetty,checking all and sundry..........they do a fine job too,I must admit......Anyway,asked me what I was doing,had I caught anything.......all the normal things.He had no problem with it,have a nice day,off he went.That's good enough for me.ps.....got nothing that trip..........but plenty of other successes on them

if its filleted its fine if its whole NOwhen we caught ours in the torrens we had about 50ppl flock to see what was caught, most of them asked why we didnt return it to the water if we wernt going to eat ithaving to explain to alot of people 1 its illegal to return carp to the water dead or aliveif you have a female and they have a belly full of eggs even dead, if other fish feed off this carp and the eggs get released then they can still be spawned and hatch!what happens if you have to kill and undersized whiting because its swallowed a hook that bad you cant get it out without killing it ?can you use that for bait, or do you still have to throw it back because its undersized ?

what happens if you have to kill and undersized whiting because its swallowed a hook that bad you cant get it out without killing it ?can you use that for bait, or do you still have to throw it back because its undersized ?

You don't kill it, you don't try to extract the hook, and you dont use it as bait. Instead you cut the hook off at the line and return the fish to the water, even if you think it's chances of survival are minimal.
Guest undertaker

Well,last week I sent an email to PIRSA,re use of carp as bait.Outlined that I wanted to use whole carp for rays and sharks,and fillets for mulloway,snapper and salmon.Just basically,wanted a ruling one way or another,in accordance with current legislation.An answer arrived today from a Senior Fisheries Officer.In response to your query re using carp for bait.Carp can not be returned to the water ALIVE.Therefore,you can use them as a bait in any form you like (whole or fillets),as long as they are not alive.As carp are a freshwater species,and you want to use them for a saltwater species,it is not an issue.But to stick to the true meaning of legislation,they must be dead before you set a baited line.So there we have it.......that sounds good enough for me to go ahead and use them anyhow.

A lot of European people have purging ponds and after they catch the Carp they purge them for a few days to get rid of the muddy crap that the fish feeds on...this also gets rid of the muddy taste from the fish fles...skinning the fillets also helps to get rid of this taste.There are thousands of recipes for Carp on the net...just type in Carp recipes and go for it...millions of Europeans can't all be wrong.Try this for starters http://www.bassonhook.com/fishforfood/carprecipes.html cheers....River Rat

Thanks undertaker i thought as muchstill would like some info on undersized fish that die, yes ranger that is the main option when it swallows a hook BUT what if for some reason you accidently kill and undersized fish, the question still needs to be answered,do you throw it back dead? which gives no point to it being put back into the flow of fish trafficor can u use it for bait ?

what if for some reason you accidently kill and undersized fish, the question still needs to be answered,do you throw it back dead? which gives no point to it being put back into the flow of fish trafficor can u use it for bait ?

No Goldie, you cannot keep any undersized fish for any purpose. It must be returned, even if it's dead.That's one of our b*tches about netting. The nets trap and kill undersized fish (even though the pro's tell us the netting is large enough to allow these small fish to escape) then all the dead fish are thrown overboard as bycatch.

whats the point ? its going to end up fish food anyway, not like it will contribute to the growth of the fish community when its deadsilly ruling really, i mean how many have chucked an undersize overboard then realised later it didnt go fully overboard and was still on the boat and dead by the time you found itagree ranger netting is bad, i dont agree with it at allwhen i was little, probably about 9 dad and uncle ken used to take the net out at hardwick bay, i remember sitting with mum cleanin all the fish, i had no idea about undersize etc back then, if i knew then what i know now i would have probably cracked a wobbly when the net was brought out!

silly ruling really,

Possibly yes, but imagine the can of worms it could open if they changed it.Anyone could (and I recon quite a few would) keep undersized fish using the excuse: "they died, so we kept them." It'd then be impossible for fisheries to enforce size limits.