graphite surf rods any good?

Guest TACKRAT1985

most my rods are graphite and it's surprising how much pressure you can put on rays etc, havent caught a decent shark yet tho. and it's only a 40grm cast weight and 9 footer, so i couldn't say how the proper graphite surf rods would perform but i guess pretty good, they don't take the knocks and drops as well tho either.

I have a glass surf rod, a composite surf rod, and a graphite surf rod.I find that I'm generally reaching for the graphite, because it's lightweight, sensitive and tough.Beware of storms and lightning though, because you are at the bottom end of a 12' lightning rod and people on the beach smoke up really well.

I own both,am pretty keen on my livefibre,graphite but only 9ft6 and is my spinning rod and I like the lightness for this type of work.But in reality it is my glamour stick and gets treated with kid gloves,when it comes to the real rough stuff like rock fishing and scaling rock faces,steep sandunes to rugged surf beaches i prefer the fibreglass ,snyders and my fave big fish rod the glass Sabre 540.Plus I also worry when 4x4ing through tracks and bumpy roads with graphite on the roof,just concerned it may fracture.Probably have nothing to worry about more a confidence thing I guess.Cheers B)

some very valid comments.and i totally agree...stick with what you know and trust, because sooner or later... somthing much bigger than what you were chasing will find the bait, and no mercy will be shown.my rods include a len butterworth powerrod ( thats a loner rod for anyone that doesnt have a rod to use)and a couple of snyderglas rods for snapper. but i know that each of these rods, can handle just about what ever is swimming...i will break before the rod will... they are ALL over 20 yr old, and as tuff as the day they were bought.no matter what takes the bait, i have total trust in the rods to not break under strain...and to me thats what its all about.bit like having a top notch car with all the bells and whistles...not much good if it wont get ya where ya whats to go.we all have had a car, that we feel we could just check the oil, then go anywhere we want, without fear of the car breaking down.its a good feeling to have a car like that, and a better feeling to have a couple of fishing rods like that.the alvey is the same with me...total trust in it, and its never let me down yet,.... and its hooked things i couldnt even slow down, let alone turn and get some line back :unsure:

thanks for all the input so far guys, the general consensus is pretty similar to my initial thoughts 'graphite is a very good spinn rod option in the 8-10 footers range, but probably lack a bit of pulling power when dealing with a decent shark especially in the big surf we get down this way and the hour drive over dunes to get to the good spots.thanks againcheers wes