Weighing upgrades

Ive got a set of the shimano lip grippers with the scale to 50lb which is very accurate and fine for getting an approximate weight for a bag but useless for weighing upgrades...What are you guys using out there to reasonably accurately compare fish? A beam seems the go but i dont have the tools to make a decent one (doubt that drilling holes by hand would be particuarly reliable).I have heard dodgy things about the x tools scale and am not keen to spend that much anyway, is there an alternative to borrowing mums kitchen sit on top type scales and having to go to shore to set them up every time i have to weigh fish? An abt gf was won by 40g not long ago... Im not keen on just guessing by holding them.Any help would be appreciated.

As far as I know the brands of scales commonly used are X Tools, Berkley and Rapala.I'm surprised you've heard bad things about X Tools as that is the most commonly used, the most expensive, the one with the most functions, and also the one which comes with lip tags to identify fish/weights once they have been weighed, making upgrading fish a simple process.I guess all that remains is mum's kitchen scales then.Best check the rules to see if you are allowed out of the kayak during the tournament though, as I know boaters can be disqualified if they step foot on land for anything other than a safety issue.Heres a rundown on them all:http://www.tackletour.com/reviewberkleyscale.htmlhttp://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=28415&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11713_XTOOLS_Floating_gripNweigh_Digital_Fish_Scale.htmlWhy not ask if one of the tournament fishos will lend you a set for the weekend?

I might try with the cooking scales if I have too haha don’t think mum will be happy. Also when I used it at home if it wasn’t level readings were sketchy. Ranger there are a couple threads on bm that don’t speak very highly of them, and a large number of people who claim that when keeping the weight consistent over a number of weighs they got different readings. If anyone has a scale I could borrow it would be great, otherwise I might just bring a chopping board or similar to try to keep things level and take my time with the sit on top kitchen scales. I’ll give it a shot this arvo. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Might do that, only need 3 fish for the yak abt, and with the average sized fish at the moment being very close i reckon that bags will be of very close weights hence me wanting to get some decent scales sorted. And fishing as a non boater this year for other abt rouds i wont be lugging scales around. Pro tactic i didnt see your post when i replied before, thanks for the offer, if i take you up on it a 6 pack would be going your way.But i just tried then with the sit on top kitchen scales and a chopping board to keep things level and it worked fine. The only issue is that i dont know if there water resistant/proof, so might not be a good move.