some snaps

From this weekend Saturday Beach 1Posted ImageA little 18cm BreamBeach 2And my camera skills went out the window!!Another 18cm BreamPosted ImageThen a 16cm BreamPosted ImageAnd then a 22cm Bream best picture I took of himPosted ImageSunday I tried 3 different beaches only got fish on number 2 beach.MY NEW PB FOR THE SURFACE 26cm Bream :PPosted ImageAnd then I borrowed a tiny to use as a back drop for this little 20cm Bream with the fly clearly visible Posted ImageCheersMickPSBrenton todays fish came for our beach ;)

Saturday I thought was one of the hardest fishing days I'd for awhile.Then sunday was harder and this morning was totally shit!!!Anyway even with the bream kayak comp going on I managed to get 3 fish Saturday My smallest fish ever on a fly and I didnt know it had taken my surface popper !!You can just see the fly in its mouth .The tail of teh fly is the same length as the bream !!Posted Imagesecond fish was 16cmPosted Imagethe first two fish were hooked well enough to use for live bait .that chem sharpened hook was not coming out !!Third fish was an inbetween sizePosted ImageNo matter their size it wasn't easy to get these little buggers .Four beaches to get 3 undersized bream !!

tonyb wrote:

Any chance you'd be at the meeting thursday Mick?I've got a yearning to try that "popper" of yours on the YFW's down my way :P:P :Ptry holding your catch in your free hand when taking the pics, has a lot more impact in close up, even the bubs B) good work on persevering with the Fly Fishing B)

Thats the Plan TonyB .Told my team leader no overtime this week for me went over like a lead ballon :P All you need to do for the popper is get some foam from mitre ten comes in metre lengths from the wood department.And what ever you want to use for a tail fake fur fake feathers real feathers anything really .Some chenille for under the foam and over the tail Bobs yoru uncle.All you need to do is work out the size of the foam body .i made one the other day that was to big to cast Saturday.Thats my excuse or the wind was the wrong direction .I have been trying to take the pictures in my hand .tried getting my mug in as well awful pictures .But I will give it ago ;) See ya Thursday night .I need to work out where that carp dam is for the march trip .

After my Homer Simpson moment yesterday(something to do with joining knots breaking and not being able to tie another one until I got home then I tied 3 :shock: ) .The wind wasn't really strong enough for the surface action I craved .So I walked two and half beaches for this little 20cm Bream and I still couldn't get the annoying Garfish to play .And the Gar were a jumping at one beach !!Posted ImageAnd me trying an in the hand shot didnt quite workPosted ImageAnd a couple were having a very nice picnic valentines breakfast under the trees not far from where I caught this Bream.But the wind dropped and that was my two hours !!

tonyb wrote:

Another 2 tips Mick, get the light behind you and secondly take ship loads of shots then post the best pic B)Try holding/supporting the fish under its tummy, but make sure your hand is wet to preserve the fish's slime coating B)

I actually tried to take 6 shots of the fish in my hand .What I may have to do is go back to using the view finder .I had changed to using the big view finder at the back of the camera.And a big beware with Bream I am used to getting spiked that little bugger bite me while I was getting the hook out :blink:;):P
Mickyj wrote:
tonyb wrote:
And a big beware with Bream I am used to getting spiked that little bugger bite me while I was getting the hook out :blink:;):P
Always grip the fish from the belly side Obi Wan, then the "Force" will be with you and no more spiking/biting will be your reward ;)PS I luv those pics when the redfin is so big that my arm is not long enough to frame it :woohoo: :woohoo: And yes,I still knock an odd big reddy on the head every now and then ;):P
tonyb wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
tonyb wrote:
And a big beware with Bream I am used to getting spiked that little bugger bite me while I was getting the hook out :blink:;):P
Always grip the fish from the belly side Obi Wan, then the "Force" will be with you and no more spiking/biting will be your reward ;)PS I luv those pics when the redfin is so big that my arm is not long enough to frame it :woohoo: :woohoo: And yes,I still knock an odd big reddy on the head every now and then ;):P
Thank you Oh Tony of the Redfin . :laugh::P All advice is greatly received and I'll try and put it into practice
  • 2 weeks later...

After being sick last weekend and sitting in the grandstand at Noarlunga yesterday .I was bursting at the seams for a fish today.With a forecast of 20-30 knot winds from the south east. And my daughter laughing at me when the weathers good you can't go and when its bad you can. ;):P But I was thinking wind water movement perhaps a big fish today.Yeah well first off I was on the wrong side of the lake the wind was just blowing my fly back onto land when cast.So a change of sides and I'm off .Wasn't that good lots of small fish jumping .Even saw the largest PRAWN in my life at the lake jump jump and jump out the water.I cast my popper nothing .then another metre on and bam three or four small /tiny fish tail spit the fly .A larger Bream jumped but missed .Then I'm on with a bigger bream lasted all of a minute damn thing spat the fly .I swear I set that damn hook :angry: .So on the next cast I'm on with a small fish landed this one .Posted ImagePosted ImageAnd just for TONYB I tried the fish in the hand forgot to hold underneath still didnt quite workPosted ImageTried the next beach along lots of tiny fish jumping but nothing big would strike .And that was it most of three beaches fished for a tiny fish .But take it from me the wind in the grandstand at noarlunga was colder and stronger :ohmy: :P

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a couple of weeks of being unwell, at one stage it was scary but enough about me .I got out for a quick flick .Beach number 1 the wind changed direction part way along and produced one of my tiniest Bream to date on a fly Posted ImageAnother perspective Posted ImageNot being discouraged I decided to drive to a beach with the wind at my back.So I drove to the wrong side of West lakes !!! :shock: :lol: Which was lucky for me as I landed a very nice 25cm Bream .Posted ImageAnd yes I'm still using a Foam popping fly :cheer:

grubb wrote:

Well done Micky, good to hear you're feeling better.PS: you should try for some salmon trout, they're meant to be everywhere in the Port River at the moment. I plan to try my luck some time this weekend.Cheers, Dave.

I've heard that Dave will have a flick Sunday

Hope you feel better soon Micky. Is that due to diabetes? , it isn't a very nice thing to have. I have type 2 which is luckily under control with diet and exercise.On with the fishing, went out yesterday afternoon and there where people everywhere. Tried a little beach south of the marina at Snowden's. I waded out and tried the surface popper, nothing, so I tried a green fly with a bit of tinsel and after 15 minutes had a bite that I should of hooked. My mate Darren had more luck bait fishing with 3 trumpeters a bream and a blue crab. After that ships started moving through and the waves got too much to stand there knee deep in just shorts so I'm going to invest in waders this week and try again soon. This was my first salt trip since before Christmas and I may not have caught any fish but it was so good to get out after such a long lay off with illness.PS: the fish better look out because I'm raring to go now and can't wait to get back out there.Cheers, Dave. :S

grubb wrote:

Hope you feel better soon Micky. Is that due to diabetes? , it isn't a very nice thing to have. I have type 2 which is luckily under control with diet and exercise.On with the fishing, went out yesterday afternoon and there where people everywhere. Tried a little beach south of the marina at Snowden's. I waded out and tried the surface popper, nothing, so I tried a green fly with a bit of tinsel and after 15 minutes had a bite that I should of hooked. My mate Darren had more luck bait fishing with 3 trumpeters a bream and a blue crab. After that ships started moving through and the waves got too much to stand there knee deep in just shorts so I'm going to invest in waders this week and try again soon. This was my first salt trip since before Christmas and I may not have caught any fish but it was so good to get out after such a long lay off with illness.PS: the fish better look out because I'm raring to go now and can't wait to get back out there.Cheers, Dave. :S

Yep Dave type 2 myself .I had kept it at bay lost weight etc but the weight came back with type 2 .Funny I ate nothing different Saturday except I went to the footy perhaps my BP went up .Funny how bad I felt how my head etc felt really bad .3 points lower today and I could have climbed mt everest.!!About to put up some picks lets say snowdens did nothing for me as well.

Well being given the word that the Salmon Trout are about in the Port River .Off I headed to a spot in my back yard .That lasted all of 1/2 hour .No fish seen .No fish attacking my fly .So I thought off to the lake I go .Arrived at one beach and in five minutes I had lost and had hits from more Small Bream than you can imagine .But they soon ended .So seeing that the water surface was getting really disturbed on the far side of the lake .Off I drove again .Now this is where the fun starts .Upon starting at this beach of I cast and my drag knob thingee falls off into the water .Lucky its plastic :oops: .And next cast bang I'm on a nice little 20cm Bream.But problem number two the camera stuffed up got it working again and here's a couple of shots Posted ImagePosted ImageFish returned to the lake and I'm off and this time problem number three bottom of my ancient nikes falls off well gets stuck in the sand :oops: .Off I go a bit like a woman in high heels and feeling every stone rock etc through the soul of my right foot.Anyway I cast at a sandy bottom between some seaweed .And these small Bream go bam bam bam all missing .Suddenly I'm on with what feels a much bigger Bream.I realise Problem number 4 fly line caught around the butt of the fly rod.Which really helped set the hook funny enough.A couple of small runs latter and a slightly bigger 23cm Bream is landed .Posted ImagePosted ImageI continued along the beach I had a fair few small bream leap and jump all missed the fly .So I decided to head home limping on my right foot as I felt every stone and rock through the canvas soul .CheersMickThe search for that 30cm bream continues