STREN mono, or other hardy mono suggestions please

Del i have recently put 80lb stren on a penn12/0 ive balooned it maybe 20hrs .To me it seems like a soft mono wich feels good on your hands when winding in your bait.I rekon if your casting into rocky areas you should use a more harder/more britle mono.Stren is also a fairly thin mono and its not the cheapest getin around....time will tell , im happy so far with it,and its bright orange in colour too! :silly: i think schneider is the best for rock fishing /casting into snags by a long shot and pretty well priced too.guys down the bay with alveys used it in the 80s and was one of the best lines to not bust off in the snags.hope this helps

ive used schneider previously.. in fact its spoolled currently with it :)but the line is very old now. have found a spool of the STREN HEAVY COVER line at a decent price. which is meant to be built for rock fishing with heavier resistance to fraying etc. which made me ask the question..not spooling it for a little while yet.. so plenty of time for other ideas and research cheers!

Im currently doin the same as you Del, looking for a decent quality well priced line to spool the alvey up with and have come down to a choice of 2 brands. Trilene big game or platypus. Like the platypus lines (both low stretch and platinum) but they are a thinner diameter for the weight which is usually good but may work against me on the rocks. The trilene comes in 1200m spools which is very convenient and is cheap compared to others so am starting to lean that way ;)

ive used heaps of lines... and schnider was a good line.... WAS that is... the last time i used scneider, it was for one trip only... then it came off and went in the bin.... i either had a bad lot, or its not the same line....when im getting snagged, and walking backwards to break the line, im not expecting the line to snap at the rod tip thats for sure.... not once, but 3 TIMES in one night with the schneider.... so after losing a lot of line, it came off and went straight in the bin...i wrote a post on it somewhere before.im using el cheapo monoflex..... $6.88 for 488 mtres....it seems to hanlde the rocks a bit better, but like any other line,, it will chaff over these rocks... but i change mine every 4 - 6 weeks anyway.

chuckemback wrote:

i remember that post rocky.think i suggested to check your guides! :unsure: id be lookin for a thicker diameter mono for rock fishing, and not a soft mono either . But its up to what you like yourself .schroder mono seems to be a bit like the old schnider mono! ;)

yep... checked the eyes, and no cracks found... lesson leanered today... my alvey is now completly dead... so i used the one i bought from bro yesterday.... the lesson is CHANGE THE LINE BEFORE USING... i dont know what it is, but it felt good... until it started snapping way to easy... just went for a fish, very rough water, dirty, and wohooooooooooooooo... a new alvey ( too me anyway) i only had 3 rigs made up, it wasnt a planned trip.. butthem rigs lasted 4 casts...bust off each time.and one shittie hahaha.. i sent del a pic of the rough water, and said time me.... 15 mins or less and i would have a fish... 5 mins and i had a shitty landed.... hahaha... he said no fair its not a snapper... but i didnt call the species... and it WAS a fish. done deal. :laugh:
chuckemback wrote:

what u using 4 bait to catch shities? must be small baits?use the shities for bait if they are a problem,cut baits , fillets or even whole! ;) just belt them out there !

huge baits actually... squid strips, or squid heads... on a pair of 6.0 hooks... you cast in, and watch the rod tip bounch around for 2 mins or so..when it stops bounching you got no bait left.... most of the shitties caught, have fowl hooked themselves on the hooks... there are millions of the bastards out there...no shit.. cast... tap tap tap... them like pirana's no taps means either something big has scared them off, or no bait left.