im trying marbling

well i bit the bullet, and tried to do some marbling. didnt use the correct epoxy , but rather araldite.reason being is, im not game enough to tackle my rod as yet, but im willing to have a go on my net... one thing with the araldite is, ITS BLOODY THICK STUFF.... but im pretty impressed with it so far.i will let it spin overnight to dry, then give it a clear coatof araldite again. its just a net, so im not that bothered if i stuff it up.. it will still do what i want it to do.bit more practice on some old rods might be the go before i tackle the snyderglas.pics uploading now.

its amasing how much it has changed from spinning over night.the coulrs have blended a bit more, but im pretty happy with it.bite to eat, then its on with a clear coat of araldite to finish and smooth it out.will do a bit more practice before the snyder gets a pull down, rethread, and some marbling done it.its a mustard colour, and im trying to think what colours will go with it.red could work, but yellow will get lost withe rod colour... maybe some blues or greens, but they dont really go with the red...

Guest shagging
rocknev wrote:

its amasing how much it has changed from spinning over night.the coulrs have blended a bit more, but im pretty happy with it.bite to eat, then its on with a clear coat of araldite to finish and smooth it out.will do a bit more practice before the snyder gets a pull down, rethread, and some marbling done it.its a mustard colour, and im trying to think what colours will go with it.red could work, but yellow will get lost withe rod colour... maybe some blues or greens, but they dont really go with the red...

this may sound silly but if you look at your picks of the rod you have done" i think a hot pink would look amazing in that colour scheme :)
shagging wrote:

rocknev wrote:

this may sound silly but if you look at your picks of the rod you have done" i think a hot pink would look amazing in that colour scheme :)
actually, pink prob would suit that black one...hahaha, but its not a rod... its a landing net.

bloody dog.... gave it a good thick coat to seal it today with araldite, then sprayed some clear ontop... brings the depth right out, then left it rotating and went out.come back an hr later and the bloody dog had got tangled in the extension lead, and pulled the plugout...thanksfully the net didnt end up on the floor, but no turning means the wet stuff has pooled and left drips on the bottom.. dammit. a new brush, some spray clear to soften the araldite, and all is good.i took it out in the sun yesterday, and the colours really come to life.

rocknev wrote:

bloody dog.... gave it a good thick coat to seal it today with araldite, then sprayed some clear ontop... brings the depth right out, then left it rotating and went out.come back an hr later and the bloody dog had got tangled in the extension lead, and pulled the plugout...thanksfully the net didnt end up on the floor, but no turning means the wet stuff has pooled and left drips on the bottom.. dammit. a new brush, some spray clear to soften the araldite, and all is good.i took it out in the sun yesterday, and the colours really come to life.

Nev can also use hair dryer to help soften araldtie
Dubs The Tackle Man wrote:

looks good Nev, real good for your first, keep us all posted.We use areldite on our rods and rod repairs does the job can be hard to use depending on the weather, will set faster in cooler conditions. Dubs

dubs, am i reading correct and you said you use it on rods? are you meaning the thread? if so . is it any good? the proper stuff aint cheap for what you get thats for sure.and does anybody sell the colour pigment close by? i might have to have a look around a rod building forum to ask a few questions.
shagging wrote:

nev that look's awesome mate i have a complete black rod that my grandfather passed on too me perhaps i might get his name put on it and try that sort of a design around the name!

it was pretty easy to be honest... just let your imagination run wild, i used a toothpic to drag the colour out of the dobs i put on there, but as it rotated through the night, it changed, as the glue shifted and cured.if you have a go, it might be a good idea to drag AWAY from your grandads name so if it shifts,too make sure it doesnt run into his name
Guest shagging
rocknev wrote:

shagging wrote:

nev that look's awesome mate i have a complete black rod that my grandfather passed on too me perhaps i might get his name put on it and try that sort of a design around the name!

it was pretty easy to be honest... just let your imagination run wild, i used a toothpic to drag the colour out of the dobs i pu on there, but as it rotated through the night, it changed, as the glue shifted and cured.if you have a go, it might be a good idea to drag AWAY from your dads name so if it shifts, it doesnt run into his name
thanks nev i will give that a go its my grandfather's name not my dad! lmao my old mans very much alive :):):) cheers mate
  • 1 month later...
advantage wrote:

Looks sweet. Just out of interested can anyone explains what required to do up a rod similar to the pics you've posted. I've got a Penn Sportfisher Rod that's chipped i'd love to have a go at fixing her up... My Fav Rod deserves a bit of a restoration...

gday matey... do you mean the marbling? or the rethreading im doing? if its the marlbing, this is the video i watched to learn... PRACTICE ON SOMETHING NOT OF GREAT VALUE is a bit of advice first.this is my landing net, and i used araldite for the epoxy rather than the proper stuff. the snyderglas im doing up will get some marbling done using the good stuff.for a bit of practice, i reckon an curtain rod from the hardware or spot spotlight store will do the trick...its pretty easy, and let your imagination run wild.hope this helps...
advantage wrote:

I will give it a go for sure. What's the best product to use to put a clear finish over top once you've done all the paint work etc?

when it comes time to do the marbling on the snyderglas, i will be using jack erskins epoxy... designed for thread work.( just about any tackle shop should carry it)comes in 2 parts, and IMPORTANT to mix equal resin and hardener.lollipop stick to stir, and either after mixing, pour onto a flat surface( a bathroom tile is good,) or to stop bubbles when its brushed on, use a straw to gently blow any bubbles out ( but not sure if it will blow the paint around or not...thinking it would)i would be using the straw on a coat OVER the dried paint to get any bubbles out.its just somthing i want to do to make my rod mine.not sure how crazy i want to go, but the wooded butt and a section of the rod will be marblesd im thinking.AFTER its sealed with epoxy, the whole rod and artwork will be coated in a rod varnish...