whats the difference between braid n mono?

Guest Noob fisher

Guest Noob fisher
Del wrote:

ones monofiliment. or traditional fishing line.the other is a braided line. try using the search. there is HEAPs of topics already on this.

i tried search and it didnt come up with anything. i always use search before i post

Mono: a single strand of nylon, has a fair amount of stretch, degrades in time from uv exposure, inexpensive.Braid: a woven strand (sometimes fused) made from spectra or dyneema fibres, smaller diameter than equal strength mono, almost no stretch, better sensitivity, less abrasion resistance on rocks, lasts a long time, more expensive.

rocknev wrote:

all true from plankton, EXCEPT the better resistance from rocks... its terrible and will fall apart very quickly when dragged over rocks.so bad after spooling the alvey with 600mtrs of braid, it came off the next day and went in the bin.i lost 4 fish to that crap

He said it was less resistant not more.........
penthrox wrote:

rocknev wrote:

all true from plankton, EXCEPT the better resistance from rocks... its terrible and will fall apart very quickly when dragged over rocks.so bad after spooling the alvey with 600mtrs of braid, it came off the next day and went in the bin.i lost 4 fish to that crap

He said it was less resistant not more.........
oops my bad... ive just woke up from this morning fishing...sorry plankton.
Noob fisher wrote:

so its better to use around rocks? cheers nev im confused lol

worse matey..... the rocks tend to put a small niche in the braid, and it just unravels...think of braid like a womans hair in braid...pretty much the same i reckon.there is nearly always a scrunchie at the end of the hair... if that falls out, the braid falls apart.
Guest Noob fisher
rocknev wrote:

Noob fisher wrote:

worse matey..... the rocks tend to put a small niche in the braid, and it just unravels...think of braid like a womans hair in braid...pretty much the same i reckon.there is nearly always a scrunchie at the end of the hair... if that falls out, the braid falls apart.
ahk yeah, alot of women tend to rub their hair on rocks :P thanks for the advice guys
Noob fisher wrote:

The short answer is yes, mono is better around rocks, but if you're fishing really deep rocks offshore you also want the sensitivity and thin diameter of braid, which is why most rigs for that sort of fishing have a mainline of braid then a wind-on leader to cope with the rocks, and then the actual leader. Some of the high quality spectra based braids from the US, like Cortland Spectron and Master Braid, actually do quite well with rocks, but the cheaper dyneema based braids from Asia are useless.@ Rocknev No worries. 600 meters of braid lost is an expensive lesson to learn!! :ohmy:
Guest Noob fisher
plankton wrote:

Noob fisher wrote:

The short answer is yes, mono is better around rocks, but if you're fishing really deep rocks offshore you also want the sensitivity and thin diameter of braid, which is why most rigs for that sort of fishing have a mainline of braid then a wind-on leader to cope with the rocks, and then the actual leader. Some of the high quality spectra based braids from the US, like Cortland Spectron and Master Braid, actually do quite well with rocks, but the cheaper dyneema based braids from Asia are useless.@ Rocknev No worries. 600 meters of braid lost is an expensive lesson to learn!! :ohmy:
ahk, im fairly cheap so id probably get the asian stuff lol.