Hi guys, I've been messing around at St Kilda without too much luck with the Trout there's plenty there but they wont seem to bite. Just wondering what is the best time to try for them.I'm new to SP fishing but i've found Berly Gulp in Watermelon Pearl seem to pick up the odd one or two. Maybe i'm using the wrong plastics i don't know???If someone can lead me in the right direction i would be very happy.

Howdy mate try some squidgy flick baits in pilchad with a 1/12 jig head, let them sink a little not to the bottom though.... the retrieve it with a few jigs.... should do alright ;) If you can find and fluro yellow/green plastics with curly tails that move on the retrieve they will work well to..... just hard to find :) Sambo

Guest shagging

Try the sand coloured gulps worked for me in the past there are plenty there but not of size! give it a couple more weeks and bag limits should be achieved.in terms of time fish just as the tide starts to move out as the tide gets lower you should do ok then it will just die! thats when you go home and come back another day,in my expirience there you have a window of around 2 and a half hours between drop of tide to fish going of the bite! good luck! :):)

I've been trying mainly when the tide is rising i will definitely be trying on the ebb when i get the chance.I'm using 10lb finns braid is that too heavy? Can't wait to get out there this weekend i always used bait fishing but learning plastics has become addictive. Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful :)

Don't be too concerned about the lure you're using. It's not that important and ST's will chase anything moving through the water. A piece of alfoil around the hook to create a flash will turn them on!I generally just use whatever is cheap and laying around in the tacklebox, whether it be an old hardbody or a rarely used plastic.Bear in mind, some us metal splice lures flashing through the water for ST's, others use unweighted whitebait floating down with the current.With ST's on lure, speed up your retreive a little and be a bit aggressive with your action. They like nothing more than chasing a bait through the water, and if they see something they'll pounce on it before one of their mates gets to it first.

Ranger wrote:

With ST's on lure, speed up your retreive a little and be a bit aggressive with your action. They like nothing more than chasing a bait through the water, and if they see something they'll pounce on it before one of their mates gets to it first.

Ranger has summed it up well with that paragraph.Basically let it sink a little then rip,rip,rip, pause , rip, rip, rip it al the way back in. You will find that when they are slow on the chew this quicker retrieve will out fish the rest.

WOW... Went down for a look this afternoon at St Kilda would have easily got my bag limit, kept 6 & made for some very nice eating on the BBQ. There was a school coming around of bigger salmon i managed 2 around the 34cm mark but there was defiantly bigger around. Loads of fish between just under legal to 23cms. Was definitely my most successful trip using SP's.Thanks for the advice guys! :)

Great advice there ,and well done advantage,great that you did well.There are also a few snook down there which are a bonus,I got these 2 there,the biggest i have ever caught was just under 5lb,well actually my 12 year old son caught it,good spot for the kids as well.cheers B)Posted Image