my mate was telling me about his new rod a 13 footer he picked up for 20 bucks and that he was gonna sell one of his 12 footers, so further on in the discussion he let slip that it was a (i think) shakespeare rod to suit an alvey, so i asked what he wanted, and i was surprised at this, he only wanted 20 bucks and because it me he is throwing in his alvey! BARGAIN!! :silly: i am not yet sure of exact rod make and model or alvey model but he says he has never had luck with taming an alvey so he never used it and that it was a smaller alvey which is ok as i dont yet know how to use one but an upgrade is always a option

solid317 wrote:

my mate was telling me about his new rod a 13 footer he picked up for 20 bucks and that he was gonna sell one of his 12 footers, so further on in the discussion he let slip that it was a (i think) shakespeare rod to suit an alvey, so i asked what he wanted, and i was surprised at this, he only wanted 20 bucks and because it me he is throwing in his alvey! BARGAIN!! :silly: i am not yet sure of exact rod make and model or alvey model but he says he has never had luck with taming an alvey so he never used it and that it was a smaller alvey which is ok as i dont yet know how to use one but an upgrade is always a option

WHY YOU JAMMY...... hahaha.. well done... PRAY thats its an avley 650C. if so , the bargain you got on the rod, is 100fold with a free alvey.if the rod is for an alvey, the first eye, should be about half way up the rod.... and HUGE in size.practice practice practice... school ovals are best... spool it up, and practice practice practice. now im VERY bias towards the alvey...but if you master it, you will think every other reel on the market is a toy....post some pics up when you get them.... :)
rocknev wrote:

solid317 wrote:

WHY YOU JAMMY...... hahaha.. well done... PRAY thats its an avley 650C. if so , the bargain you got on the rod, is 100fold with a free alvey.if the rod is for an alvey, the first eye, should be about half way up the rod.... and HUGE in size.practice practice practice... school ovals are best... spool it up, and practice practice practice. now im VERY bias towards the alvey...but if you master it, you will think every other reel on the market is a toy....post some pics up when you get them.... :)
I have to agree, although I don't use them as much as I should, the Alvey is without a doubt the best of the best when it comes to reels. Does that make me bias too??????? :unsure:
ninja wrote:

rocknev wrote:

solid317 wrote:

I have to agree, although I don't use them as much as I should, the Alvey is without a doubt the best of the best when it comes to reels. Does that make me bias too??????? :unsure:
nope... dont get much tuffer. on these rocks ive seen a brand new tuff tackel reel explode after 3 casts... and seen the aftermath of del' s shimano reel when the fott just snapper off of one of his quality reels...cant bring a knife to a gun fight....

:ohmy: Doesnt matter what alvey you got mate as long as its matched to the rod then you definitely have a bargain. I agree they are a brilliant reel, I love em. Not much chance of breakin em at all. Very low maintenance reel, but a different style of fishing to an egg beater. Once you master it I reckon you'll be hooked ;)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: im with everyone above :Dand a matter of fact.. i have everything i require apart from a rod turrner.. to give my Alvey rod a birthday :Dhope to have it cranking again soon!still need to find some suitable mono for it tho..

Del give platypus a go. I did the whole research thing and finally decided dollar for dollar platypus is on the money price wise quality wise and strength wise and it is Aussie made. The fact I rang them for facts on what the best choice was helped as well. Their GM asked for my number to ring me back so I wasnt payin for the phone call while we worked out what the best product from their lineup was.

Del wrote:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: im with everyone above :Dand a matter of fact.. i have everything i require apart from a rod turrner.. to give my Alvey rod a birthday :Dhope to have it cranking again soon!still need to find some suitable mono for it tho..

rod turner del? you giving it a varnish and new thread perhaps, if so, check out the post of th snyderglas im doing up... my big rod.i bought a spit rotator from home hardware, 41 bucks, simple bracket and a bit of 8mm key steel for a shaft, and its working a treat.
vb4me wrote:

Del give platypus a go. I did the whole research thing and finally decided dollar for dollar platypus is on the money price wise quality wise and strength wise and it is Aussie made. The fact I rang them for facts on what the best choice was helped as well. Their GM asked for my number to ring me back so I wasnt payin for the phone call while we worked out what the best product from their lineup was.

platapus is a great line for the rocks... and yep, its great value. im using el ceheapo from big w, recently testing out 30lb, which isnt too bad... used to run 35lb, but regardless, its changed often.at 6 bucks for 450mtrs, it aint to bad... has some stretch though, but that doesnt bother me too much.speaking of which, time for a re spool as ive lost a fair bit of whats on there...
rocknev wrote:

Del wrote:

rod turner del? you giving it a varnish and new thread perhaps, if so, check out the post of th snyderglas im doing up... my big rod.i bought a spit rotator from home hardware, 41 bucks, simple bracket and a bit of 8mm key steel for a shaft, and its working a treat.
yeah nev.. gotta clean up my big rod too :) all 14' of her :D