Boat ramp Etiquette query

Hi all.I went to launch at West Beach ramp this afternoon.On getting to the top of the ramp, I noticed only 1 other boat against the pontoons, from a guy who was about to retrieve, and another boat in the harbor headed towards the pontoons, but no particular one.I began to reverse down the ramp I'd picked, when out of the blue the boat just mentioned pulls up against the pontoon, behind me :huh::unsure: I assumed he'd soon realise I was launching and move, but no. When I went to get out of my car he tried to tell me I had to use the priority lane for afternoon launching.My understanding is that the priority lanre is only for that use when the ramp is very busy :huh: So was I in the wrong or was this guy just being a lazy twat :blink:

blightmadi69 wrote:

gday AFF I thought the right hand lane (north side) was launching after noon . I maybe wrong Blighty

yes it IS for arvo launching, but that doesnt mean that's the only lane to be used if the rest of the ramp is quiet I thought ;) Speaking of a few under the blet, Ive got a boat to unpack b4 hitting the sack :S

Hey AFF, not sure on which lanes are priority at WB as I haven't launched there in a long while, but when launching/retrieving the retrieving boat always has right of way. This is due to the fact that there could be something wrong on the boat coming in. However, in this case the guy sounds like he was spoiled for choice if there were no other boats around. Once again not remembering the set up at WB, some boats are set up to launch and retrieve on one side (ropes, fenders, etc), and if he had the choice of a number of lanes in the same configuration he could have just enjoyed being difficult. You get all sorts at the ramps, and it makes me love it when I get to the shack and use the tractor :)

Ranger wrote:

As Borryking mentioned, incoming boats ALWAYS get right of way!The guys attitude might suck big time, but he IS in the right, and you DO need to get out of his way.

So does that mean that there is no boat at the ramp and you reverse and then all of a sudden some one gets in behind you and you then have to pull the boat out again and try another ramp ??
Ranger wrote:

pescados wrote:

So does that mean that there is no boat at the ramp and you reverse and then all of a sudden some one gets in behind you and you then have to pull the boat out again and try another ramp ??

Believe it or not............YES!
Charming, especially if you run into some one you had a blue with and he is stuffing you around on purpose...........Forgot , does this also apply if there is more than one ramp.
Ranger wrote:

pescados wrote:

Believe it or not............YES!
This is exactly what happened, except my boat wasnt off the trailer.The point I make is the guy had umpteen other options, including moving 5 meters sideways and all would have been fine for all concerned.So in the end, he's a lazy S.O.B with a bad attitude :dry: :unsure::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
fishnfreak wrote:

Etiquette and rules are not one in the same.It may be a rule that you should pull out to allow the boat to retreive, but it is proper etiquette on the incoming boat operators side to allow the already launching boat to pass before starting to retrieve their own boat.

As far as Transport SA are concerned, etiquette and rules most certainly ARE one and the same :http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/rec_boating/2010%20Boating%20Handbook/MR160_Boating_Handbook_2010_Ch2pt1.pdfFrom the recreational Boating Safety Handbook under the heading "Boat Etiquette":

Boats coming out have priority over boats going in.

They make no mention of the incoming boat allowing the already launching boat to pass before starting to retrieve their own boat, and after doing a search, I can find no mention of this anywhere.

Launching Your VesselBoat EtiquetteHave a good look at the ramp and note thecondition, gradient, depth, mooring cleatsand other features and consider the weatherand tidal conditions.Standby to give other boaties a handif required.Take your time, relax and be careful.Do not pull straight into the ramp.Prepare your boat well away from the rampand ensure:• the boat was not damaged duringthe trip to the ramp• straps and ties are undone• everything you need is on board• the bung is in• the trailer winch is secure.Boats coming out have priority over boatsgoing in.When it’s your turn, move towards and backdown the rampLaunch immediately.Take the trailer out of the way.Until you and your boat are completely outof the way, away from the ramp, don’t fiddlearound.Check the ramp• How steep is it?• Is the surface firm?• Is it slippery?• Is it wide enough?• How deep is the water at the endof the ramp?• What can you tie the boat to once it islaunched?Now is the time to• remove any tie downs• put your gear in the boat• attach a bow line to the boat• if the boat is stern drive or outboard,tilt the unit up• ensure that the drain plugs are in placeand tight• turn the battery switch and (if fitted)the blower on• generally get ready and then disconnectthe trailer wiring.When you are ready, move towards theramp at a gentle pace.If you try to move quickly, mistakes are morelikely to happen.Back the trailer onto the rampHave someone stand to one side of theramp to direct you.Backing up with the trailer can be tricky.A good way to simplify this procedure is tograsp the steering wheel with one hand atits lowest point (the six o’clock position).When you want the trailer to turn right, moveyour hand slowly to the right, when you wantthe trailer to turn left, move your hand slowlyto the left.LaunchingBack the trailer into the water. Set thehandbrake and lock the transmission.Slacken the trailer winch and with the winchline still connected push the boat slowly butfirmly into the water.Be sure to have a firm hold on the bow line.Don’t wrap the bow line around your handas it is dangerous and injuries can occur.Detach trailer winch hook and line from theboat and wind the line back onto the winch.Using the bow line move the boat to theside, away from the launch position.Secure the boat to this holding positionwith a bow line.If a jetty is near a ramp, tie off to the jettywith both the bow line and stern line.Move your car and trailer to the parkingarea where they will not obstruct accessto the ramp.Lock your car.Final stepTo reload/retrieve the boat simply reversethese procedures.Before loading, clean any dirt or sand offthe rollers and buffers.Sand on the rollers and buffers candamage your boat whilst being towed.Be sure that all tie-downs are properlyfastened before departing the ramp area.

It'd be nice to think that everyone would be considerate, patient, friendly and nice, but that would mean we are living in fairyland, bacause as every user has seen, when it comes to human nature and boat ramps, stupidity, ignorance and intolerance have always been the order of the day!
BarneyB wrote:
Not sure how many lanes there are at WB if there are multiple lanes, pontoons, the guy retrieving does not have the right to choose one that is already being used which is the way I read the original post.
Exactly Barney, though I wouldnt use the word "right" myself. From memory there are 2 pontoons there, making four lanes. Only one was in use when I arrived. (retrieving)Didnt want to start any arguments here or even a debate.Ranger wrote: be nice to think that everyone would be considerate, patient, friendly and nice, but that would mean we are living in fairyland, bacause as every user has seen, when it comes to human nature and boat ramps, stupidity, ignorance and intolerance have always been the order of the day! Why is it that Boat Ramps do this to people :huh: I guess its like so many other things that are hard to explain :blink:
afishyfish wrote:

iron chef wrote:

wb boat ramp clearly marked .far right hand ramp near break water retrieval before 12 noon launching after 12 noon.

Does that then mean absolutely no-one can use any other lane after 12 for launching ?
You can still use the other ramps for launching but those retrieving have right of way as on any ramp. What it does is restrict the activity on THAT ramp only.
afishyfish wrote:

iron chef wrote:

wb boat ramp clearly marked .far right hand ramp near break water retrieval before 12 noon launching after 12 noon.

Does that then mean absolutely no-one can use any other lane after 12 for launching ?
It's any other lane at all times I though - just launching on the far right after lunch??Quite busy down there today - but etiquette was observed :):):):)
afishyfish wrote:

iron chef wrote:

No, what it does mean is that if the lane you chose was the far right hand ramp and it was before noon he was right and you were wrong. There are many options here but few facts ie which ramp, what time of day etc. Just trying to clear the water, not provoke an argument.