Which Snapper Overhead?

I've got a Penn Sports rod (6616001OHBM), rated 8-10kg interested to know what overhead rods people use to fish for snapper and the bigger boys.... gummy sharks etc. To be honest I didn't really like the tip on this rod when fighting big fish, too soft for my liking...My reel is a Daiwa Saltist 30HA Levelwind, spooled w 50lb braid which I know is overkill but helped me bag out on snapper yesterday B) Although I will admit is was much more fun on 20lb braid and a 3-5kg flick stick!Anyway, open to suggestions for a good snapper overhead ;) Mine was about $100 from memory. Ta

I have a graphite Calstar GF600M and Shimano Tekota. I have it loaded with 20lb braid and this outfit has been superb. By far my best snapper combo.I hate to say it but I even prefer it to my more expensive spin combos, especially when fishing deep drops out of the boat.The Tekota I have has a level wind, which I believe helps out heaps.The Calstar has a terrific action, and because its graphite you can feel every touch no matter how small, but its still is very thick in both the tip and butt of the rod, (but don't be mistaken as this is not similar in anyway to the soft plastic graphite sticks that are on the market- this has some serious balls). This stick can handle just about anything. It has taken care of a 20lb red and small sharks no probs.Would highly recommend one to anyone who wants a stick with a relatively fast action, and loves the feel of the bite and fight.Brett

urhookedfish wrote:

I have a graphite Calstar GF600M and Shimano Tekota. I have it loaded with 20lb braid and this outfit has been superb. By far my best snapper combo.I hate to say it but I even prefer it to my more expensive spin combos, especially when fishing deep drops out of the boat.The Tekota I have has a level wind, which I believe helps out heaps.The Calstar has a terrific action, and because its graphite you can feel every touch no matter how small, but its still is very thick in both the tip and butt of the rod, (but don't be mistaken as this is not similar in anyway to the soft plastic graphite sticks that are on the market- this has some serious balls). This stick can handle just about anything. It has taken care of a 20lb red and small sharks no probs.Would highly recommend one to anyone who wants a stick with a relatively fast action, and loves the feel of the bite and fight.Brett

I have a feeling mine it a glass build.? Sensitive but not graphite sensitive... Quite soft in the top and I wouldn't pick it for a fast action rod. Pretty gutsy and good value at one hundred bucks but thinking the step up might be the way to go.Thanks for the recommendation. Will check them out

If you do get to see the Calstars, my model should set you back about $180 so they dont cost the earth..thank god.I believe Phil at Tackleworld Ohallarin Hill usually has the Calstar range or Sportfishing scene Cavan.If you did feel the need you could come and check mine out anytime you wanted. I think the saltist would be a perfect match as well.would be a sensational outfit. Infact I was going to pick my self up a saltist to be using on this rod some time soon. I just got distracted and ended up buying a Diablo rod instead of saltist reel. LOL.

urhookedfish wrote:

If you do get to see the Calstars, my model should set you back about $180 so they dont cost the earth..thank god.I believe Phil at Tackleworld Ohallarin Hill usually has the Calstar range or Sportfishing scene Cavan.If you did feel the need you could come and check mine out anytime you wanted. I think the saltist would be a perfect match as well.would be a sensational outfit. Infact I was going to pick my self up a saltist to be using on this rod some time soon. I just got distracted and ended up buying a Diablo rod instead of saltist reel. LOL.

Nice, I might go see Phil, he sold me the penn sports in the first place :lol: I'll just tell him I'm looking for an "upgrade" B)
FushLups wrote:

to fish for snapper and the bigger boys.... gummy sharks etc. To be honest I didn't really like the tip on this rod when fighting big fish, too soft for my liking...

FL, a soft tip does have its benefits ;) It allowed me to untangle the braid from my anchor rope last night after a huge smoothy took a snapper bait.I reckon a stiffer tip would have snapped for sure.Then again I dont suppose you expect that to happen all the time either.Cheers
brenton wrote:

none,spinning reels for me except in the real deep stuff or if over very shallow reef on spooky fish i like my abu6500. cheers brenton

well said Brenton. I agree, I only use my Calstar combo for deep drops in 30plus meters of water. I love an overhead combo to drop full fish baits down on wrecks. Often in this scenario a cast is not needed.My other mates used the saltist this season and loved it. I tried to get all fancy and use my saltiga with big baits and leads and in the end have decided that the overhead is better suited and will go back to just using the old Calstar combo again next snapper season - although this one hasnt really finished yet I suppose.