Salmon in the port

Iv bin down the the outer harbor brake water wall a few times now but I can't seem to crack into the salmon trout down there. Today I got the Gulp blue pepper neon 5" jerk Shad so I'll give them a crack. Any other things I could try out? What's the best tide for outer harbor salmon trout?

Mate I hate to tell you this but the Salmon trout are that thick throughout the Port and the river system that you can just about walk on them.My advice to you would be to downsize your jerkshad to something about 3" long and about the same colour as a whitebait and throw that at them. Truly mate I couldn't get a lure past them last weekend near the Harbour without hooking up. If that fails try a small hardbody lure like an Sx40 or similar.Good luck.Cheers Darren

thatguy wrote:

Thanx guys for the hints.hey Darren where abouts were you? Land based? I was going to head to the brake water wall but unsure how far to walk down would I have better luck the ferther I go down?

Mate they are all through the North arm try the speed boat club area and Vietch Road at Osbourne would be a good place to start for you land based. I was fishing from the boat but no more than 20 feet from the shore. Good luck.Cheers Darren

Thats great news about the salmon being larger in the river as it always used to be the other way around larger schools of the smaller salmon used to be the norm in the Port River and the larger salmon were found at the Harbour breakwater ends Took my 9 year old son down to Snowdens last week and he got a nice Salmon and a good legal keeper Bream on unweighted white bait it was good to see him use the lift and wind method when he hooked them he was stoked so was i

Ranger wrote:

Last weekend I found them EVERYWHERE we stopped in the port. The ones in the port were also much larger than those we encountered out at the end of the Outer Harbour breakwall.

I found it the same Ranger, makes for a nice change hey ;) . They went well on the flies too :woohoo:. Cheers Darren
Guest davidm#2

i went for a flik down near the old sugar warf on the weekend, and there was a salmon about 3lb just crusing 2ft from the shorewen i go to outer harbour i go al the way to the end, burley up on the nth haven side and if there around they'll be boiling on the surface(great fun). in this situation i would use a metal, because they rip the plastics straight off the jig head when there hungrycheers

I have been hammering them lately all over the port, there are some small ones mixed in with them sometimes so make sure you measure them. They generally don't break the surface most of the time, you just have to find them or fish spots they regularly feed at.

try a 1/16th jighead and a chartruese 3" s/p early and as the sun rises go for the more natural colors.I reckon you need the heavier jighead because they are usually in the tidal rips around structure and points of land.If you want to use bait go to the corner of the port and nth arm. cheers brenton

4loveoffishing wrote:

hey new to lures as well if was to get one wat is the best method of rigging em up (knot)and is a high tide the best time to fish the further down the port you go

if tying straight to the lure i use a loop knot but if you want to use a lure clip you can use a blood knot or uni knot.Krusty crab is correct it always pays to have that lure in your kit because "sometimes" it works better than the S/Ps. cheers brenton