the shallow reefs around sa

hi all not much going on in the fly section of late but just wanted to get a few ideas i live south of the city and just in the mood to fly fish recently just wondering if its worth having a cast on the reefs like aldinga, red orker point (at moana), seaford and hallet cove just to name a few for species like zebra fish, drummer, wrasse and all other reef species that are there all the time.is it possible to catch these fish if so any fly suggestions, patterns ?ive got a 5-6 weight and a 6-7 weight both floating lines are these any gd or do i need sinking line ?im not the best fly caster in the world and practising can oni make me better just lookin for some fish that are easy to target and can catch all the time. any suggestions would be awsum cheers matty89

over the last few years i have been fortunate enough to capture 15 species of marine fishes from SA watersat this time of the year i start to look for salmon schooling in close but i'm in the fortunate position to have a boat ideal to fly fish from.i would suggest the rods are a bit on the light side i usually use either 8-9 or 10 weight depending on conditions.i guess if conditions were calm the 6-7 weight would be ok for some close in work along the beach small minnow patterns are good for salmon & snook.casting from the rocks is ok if you have a stripping basket other wise they can damage your fly line with the sharp egdes & barnicles etc.the onkaparinga river can still produce a few surprises even at this time of year,(tides & weather permitting) but you need to put in the time, small crazy charlie patterns are good in this water.don't be to fazed about the floating fly line (i've caught hundreds of fish on floating lines) in my book its one of the most universal if you need more depth extend your leader. use fluro carbon leaders if your budget allows there tougher & fish cant see it. good luck might see you swoffing down south here sometime soon.

Matty,You have a kayak don't you if my memory serves me right. If you are just looking for some practice hit westlakes or the top end of the Port for as many samon trout as you can catch. They are fun and they put up a fair tussle. There is also a chance you may even get some bream. They both make for great species to practice on and it's better than chucking the line around in a park. I've been getting meter long mullies over summer with a 7wt so I think the gear you have as a start up setup will see you well looked after.Cheers Darren

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys sorry been so long in getting bk just not had time to be on here thanks for the info guys but because its of the late nyts now and i live on the cliff at masilins just wondered if the reef fish were worth a shot i catch zebra fish, drummer, wrasse, parrot fish, sweep and so on one after another on bait just wondered if they would take a small fly i been hittin the onk a fair bit got my pb bream on fly about 3 months ago its was a 39 cm and put up a real tussel on the 6wt cheers matty89

• 1 month later...