Fishing gear and airplanes

Hey guys, I'm catching a flight in a couple of weeks and just wanna know if there's anything particular I can't/shouldn't take on the flight. I'm assuming hooks and whatever will be fine as long as it's not in hand luggage. However wouldn't mind my sol coming in with hand luggage. Cheers!

i always take my reels in a hard case in carry on as for the rods i have 2 - 3 piece travel rods i usually travel with and depending on the dick at the check in depends on weather they come on hand lugage also ,,tiger airways always allow them in hand lugage,, virgin sometimes,, jet star suck they never let them in.. it may pay to ring ahead if ya reels are like ya babies id almost buy mine a seat of their own :laugh::laugh:

A couple of mates flew Jetstar last year and they lost about 2-3 grands worth of rods and Jetstar didn't give a stuff about getting them back or paying compensation.Luckily a charter operator in Qld ended up with the rods along with a batch of new customers gear and went to the trouble of returning them to my mates in SA...Did Jetstar offer to pay the postage,NO they didn't. cheers brenton

Flew Qantas to Sydney, jetstar to Maroochydore, & again Brisbane to Adelaide. Rod was never allowed as carry on, had to go as cargo only and thankfully made it in one peice. Reel was stowed in the tackle bag and checked in with other luggage. I travelled with this rod in and from Malayasia and never had an issue with it coming aboard with me. It was handed to the staff on boarding and collected at the time of depature and yes this was after 911.My suggestion for rods, is to make up a tube from PVC pipe the diameter of which should be as wide as the number of rods you are taking dictates. This will go a long way to protecting them. As for reels, well I'd suggest they go in with the main luggage and are checked in.Above all else.......enjoy your trip ;)

coonta kinta wrote:

My suggestion for rods, is to make up a tube from PVC pipe the diameter of which should be as wide as the number of rods you are taking dictates. This will go a long way to protecting them.

Just recently bought a 7 footer, complete with inner and outer lining, carry handle and a zip closing end cap for only 36 bux :blink: :ohmy: :woohoo: Pm me if you want the supplier, but maybe try the site sponsors first ;)B):)

Gday.As a few before have said:Don't have any hooks in your carry-on gear. I personally wrap my reels in a pair of explorer socks and put them in my checked-in baggage.If you're hell bent on taking your reels with you in your carry-on baggage then after they go through the x-ray machine the upstanding pillars of aviation security (inbred halfwits) who are manning the checkpoint will probably want to have a look at your reels to make sure there's no hooks attached.As far as travel rods are concerned, I have no prior experience with such items. Knitting needles ARE permitted in carry on baggage so I can't see why a fishing rod would not be.DOTARS have gone through a few ups and down over the last few years regarding what they will allow and what they won't. Without getting too far into things: I am in full uniform nearly every time I walk through the security checkpoints and more often than not I get stopped for some reason or another - whether it be something metal on my uniform of something in my bag that looks like an Armalite.Sorry for rambling, this topic gets my blood pressure right up there.Good luck with the travel plans. Just play it on the safe side and you should be fine.Cheers.

Had a quick look through some stuff and found the following:SHARP OBJECTS OR CUTTING IMPLEMENTSTHE FOLLOWING ITEMS MUST BE PLACED IN YOUR CHECKED BAGGAGE:- ALL KNIVES, SHARP OBJECTS OR CUTTING IMPLEMENTS OF ANY KINDAND ANY LENGTH, WHETHER OF METAL OR OTHER MATERIAL(INCLUDING,BUT NOT LIMITED TO PAPER KNIVES, CARPET KNIVES, BOX CUTTERS,LETTER OPENERS, SCISSORS OF ANY KIND, TRADESMAN'S TOOLS,SCREWDRIVERS, CORKSCREWS AND DARTS),- KNITTING NEEDLES, AND- SPORTING GOODS (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, SPORTING BATS,BILLIARDS/SNOOKER/POOL CUES, CATAPULTS).IF THESE ITEMS ARE CARRIED IN YOUR CABIN BAGGAGE OR ON YOURPERSON YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SURRENDER THE ITEMS AT THESECURITY SCREENING POINT, AND IT WILL NOT BE RETURNED TO YOU.EXCEPTIONHYPODERMIC NEEDLES: PLEASE REFER TO OUR WEBSITEOR CALL YOUR LOCAL OFFICE FOR INFORMATION.So what I said in the previous post about knitting needles was NOT CORRECT. Maybe something that was changed recently.Again, fishing rods are not dangerous items. Especially not when you've got a club weighing a kilogram that is in fact a wine bottle full of liquid. And not to mention the souvenir shops inside the sterile areas that sell boomerangs and didgeridoos.... "What is a boomerang? ... "Um, it's a club used for killing things"Oh, look, I've been rambling again, oh and I'm foaming at the mouth again too...So, being on the safe side, get in touch with your carrier somehow and get the bull$%!@ directly from the horse's arse.Good luck. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply everyone!I'm on flying from Lincoln so it's just a baby step. I've never flown before abut I know that they're knarky as just visited airports they are always on ya case.Anyway, I'll wrap my Daiwa gS9 and put that in luggage, but I'll keep my 2000 Sol (without the line) with me on the plane. I'm only taking two rods (just crappy old Shimano Grahite anyway)which I have a hard case for, but I don't have have a long enough hard case for my surf rod so that will be left at home. And any lures wil have to be in cargo. Cheers!

carps wrote:

ok now im confused who in hell would take a catapult on a plane its not bloody medievil times is it and to my knowledge arnt they kinda heavy and bulky (like tons heavy) retards they are

It would be pretty obvious anyway, when youi started loading it up with cows/ chickens/ pigs wouldnt it :blink::blink::blink::blink:
dutchxfisher wrote:

Thanks for the reply everyone!I'm on flying from Lincoln so it's just a baby step. I've never flown before abut I know that they're knarky as just visited airports they are always on ya case.Anyway, I'll wrap my Daiwa gS9 and put that in luggage, but I'll keep my 2000 Sol (without the line) with me on the plane. I'm only taking two rods (just crappy old Shimano Grahite anyway)which I have a hard case for, but I don't have have a long enough hard case for my surf rod so that will be left at home. And any lures wil have to be in cargo. Cheers!

If you're only flying from Port Lincoln then the only thing I would carry on the plane with me would be the latest issue of your favourite magazine. Stick everything else down below, it'll save you any possible hearaches and your gear will be fine.Cheers. Good luck.
carps wrote:

ok now im confused who in hell would take a catapult on a plane its not bloody medievil times is it and to my knowledge arnt they kinda heavy and bulky (like tons heavy) retards they are

Hahahaha."Consult the book of Armaments!""Armaments, Chapter 2, Verses 9 to 21...""And Saint Atilla raised the hand grenade up on high, saying 'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits in thy mercy' and the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cerals and fruit bats and larg...'""Skip a bit brother!"Ah, I digress....

In the smaller airports without xray surveillance, then carry whatever you can fit in the bag. If they ask you if you are carrying any weapons, then say 'NO' because you aren't (even if it is a filleting knife). The major airports are a little different and is up to the personnel at the xray section. I have carried in some very suspicious items (all work related) and been let through easily. But other times been pulled up and asked for searches and explanations. I use 'glycerine' for my job and have always had it in hand luggage, even after inspections I have been let through. (glycerine is used as a couplant for ultra sonic testing).

well im glad i read this post as im booked on a flight to carins in oct with jetstar to go on a 1 week live abord charter out of princess charlot bay and our rod legnth isnt allowed ova 6ft,was gunna take reels on with me but after reading that people have herd of line having to be stripped off i think ill put em in my explora socks and bookem in less hassle....looking forward to a good trip and i dont need it ruined by probs with jetstar or the like ,any other tips on taking fishing gear on planes not covered pls postthnx tight lines all