G'day Yobs!Personally, I just keep it simple. Pat 'em down on newspaper when ya get home and bag 'em up in 10-20 lots in snap lock bags. Then straight into the freezer - even better if you have a new, you-bewt, whiz-bang fridge/freezer that has a quick-freeze machanism! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Thaw them out in salt-water and away ya go. They thaw out not too bad, but you will never retain their original firmness as such. Some ppl brine them in a solution, some ppl salt them down before freezing. I find salting them causes them to expel lots of blood and prefer the simple method of just freezing them el' naturale`.. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif You can probably keep them in a saltwater tank for a few weeks too, but as they 'run' because they are on a kamikaze mission (heading off to die!), they don't keep in a tank for long.Looking forward to getting out there and freezing my bits off when the 'run' kicks off.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gifCheers,Wino

I too dry them on paper, bag them and freeze them in lots of about a dozen worms per bag.If ya feel a bit stuffed after a late night collecting, just leave em in an esky overnight with a little seawater, and they'll still be fine the next day.Watch out though, coz they do bite!When ya thaw them, let them thaw on an old towel or cloth, as this absorbs much of the watery red crap that comes out of them.

When ya thaw them, let them thaw on an old towel or cloth, as this absorbs much of the watery red crap that comes out of them.

Yobs, personally I wouldn't thaw them on/in anything other than in saltwater, but that's just me. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif Letting them thaw in their own juices turns them to red mush, as Ranger said, but what I normally do is whack some seawater in the bag I stored em in and they tend to have some of their former glory restored in a few mins and then they're ready to rumble. {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifCheers,Wino

3 nights after the first new moon in July, on the run out tide!I make that Sunday 6th July from around 8.00pm

Thanks for the tips guys.See ya on the water guys. The YoBBeTTe will bring the port, I mean Boubon, I mean Scotch.......dammit I mean coffee. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

Ranger said

3 nights after the first new moon in July, on the run out tide!I make that Sunday 6th July from around 8.00pm

I hope someone has told the War Veterans Fishing Group that it wasn't three days after the first full moon then. ??? :oI have been surfing the web lately and came across this http://wvfg.org.au/Newsletters/PDF%20Fi ... letter.pdf BLOOD WORM RUNThe Blood Worm Run in South Australia beginson the 3rd day after the first full moon inJuly.Rob S., Boz, Greg and Lofty took the latestblood worm run in Metro waters as an opportunityto stock up on what is a very effective baitfor most species, especially Bream and KGs.It has been suggested that might be interestednext year in conducting a Group Activity. Thisenable all who want to stock up on this valuablebait.Is there a volunteer to co-ordinate such anactivity ?I feel sorry for these vets if they've been going out chasing bloodworms at the above suggested time, it's cold enough out there as it is, when the worms are running.Would have been one very cold group of disapointed Vets. >:({SMILIES_PATH}/angry.gif:(" title="Angry" /> {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gifI reckon the person who recommended the stated time of the non-existent blood worm run would of been looking for a bomb shelter from some certain name calling and who knows what else. Now what is that predicted bloodworm date again, Ranger? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifRegards niftrev

Ranger said

I hope someone has told the War Veterans Fishing Group that it wasn't three days after the first full moon then. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifNow what is that predicted bloodworm date again, Ranger? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif
I stand by what I said Trev! I might carry on and play the fool sometimes, but I'm not an idiot (regardless of opinions), and I don't hand out false information.It's most certainly, absolutely, definately and positively 3 days after the NEW moon, and I think Squidley and quite a few others here can vouch for that, coz we have the results to prove it!I dunno if WVFC made a typo in their newsletter and just accidentally wrote FULL instead of NEW, but I'll be out there AGAIN this year on the NEW moon. You's don't have to join me or even listen to me. Go out on the FULL moon instead and see for yaselves.

Easy tiger, I think trev was 'extracting the urine' from the WVFG, not questioning your info - which is spot on, for the record.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifI had a good chuckle when I read his post, conjuring up images of ol' fossils with spotlights and long-handled nets, and nothing to net.. LMAO! {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,Wino

Glad the Goat Herder saw my post for what it was.I wasn't having a dig at you Ranger.I would have been a lot more straight forward with ya.I know only too well when the blood worms run.I think I had the same images as the Goat Herder. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifJust stiring {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifniftrev[/color:197auv8k]

Oh good! I thought for a minute we were gonna have to debate whether to worm on a full or a new moon! Sorry if I puffed my chest out for no reason.Ya might not catch any on a full moon, but at least ya wouldn't need lights to SEE there's no worms around!One thing I have noticed is that there are boats motoring around in all directions trying to scoop up worms, and it's just not necessary. We just anchor in the one spot and scoop em all up as the tide brings em past the boat. We catch just as many as everyone else, and we don't burn up fuel in the process.Also, while we're on the subject, whether they catch worms or not, I take my hat of to all the ex-servicemen out there! We owe em all a debt of gratitude.

For sure, hats off to the Diggers! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifPerhaps we can all save a packet or two each for them when they miss the bloodworm run..?? {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif Not to mention the Chief Bloodwormer, who'll lose his ranking and his medals for giving the rest of 'em all a bum steer.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,Wino

• 1 month later...
Ranger said
I hope someone has told the War Veterans Fishing Group that it wasn't three days after the first full moon then. {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifNow what is that predicted bloodworm date again, Ranger? {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif
Your spot on again Ranger, I'm also the editor of the WVFG newsletter, it was a typo, in fact I only put in a report that was given to me, thats the thing with electronic emails now days, some one sends it to you as an email, you then cut and paste to where you want it to be placed in your newsletter, and spell check only picks up spelling errors.Thanks for proof reading it for me Niftynev, none of our members took any notice of the mistake either
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

3 nights after the first new moon in July, on the run out tide was the time last year

Brought this old topic back upMight have to give bloodworming a go

Recccomended equipment should include a Thermos of coffee, a hot waster bottle and a good bottle of scotch as basic requirements. :huh: Not suggesting drinking and boating mix, but it can get :c cold out there doing this so a good snifter afterwards is always good ;)