Good things happening with the Victorian RFL's!!

That is very interesting and encouraging on the surface, but also more than a little confusing for me! :huh: I'm a simple man, not real good with figures, none too clever, and easily confused, but I see an obvious problem here!You see, most of the jetties, piers, marinas and boat ramps in Victoria are actually managed by Parks Victoria, and Parks Victoria obtain funds from the government and the tax dollar. Parks Victoria also openly state and promote that they were given a $4M grant by the Brumby government, for immediate upgrades and improvements, with an aim of creating jobs in the tourism, marine services and aquaculture industries, as part of the Victorian Coastal Strategy and Action Plan 2008. http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/3bmi.cfm

Boat-owners and anglers get a further boost Our Bays Vision - the bays and maritime initiative Melbourne's bays infrastructure will receive immediate and future upgrades thanks to $4 million in Brumby Labor Government funding that will create jobs in the tourism, marine services and aquaculture industries. Environment and Climate Change Minister Gavin Jennings said the funding, added to the $5 million provided last year to begin improvements to Port Phillip and Westernport Bays to ensure they remained vibrant places for Victorian businesses and the community.

Just check out the figures:

The Initiative aligns closely with key government policy documents including the draft Victorian Coastal Strategy 2008 and the Central Coastal Board's Boating Coastal Action Plan. In May 2008, the Victorian Government provided Parks Victoria with $2.5m additional funding to undertake a capital works program on Port Phillip over 2008/09. A further $10 million, over 4 years, was awarded to Parks Victoria in 2007 for upgrades

$21.5M already allocated for this coastal strategy. That's quite a sum, which obviously cant be raised by the RFL income, which must obviously mean the coastal strategy project is funded as they say, by the Brumby goverment tax dollar, which is raised by revenue from all the working Victorians who pay income tax.But I wonder why parks Victoria and their government grants aren't also responsible for the Corinella Jetty, why a part of the further $10M over 4 years isn't used for this Corinella upgrade, and why that one is now stated as being funded by the RFL? :huh: After all, the government funding was certainly meant for upgrades, and Corinella is certainly within Port Philip and Westernport Bays as stated!Seems a bit of a contradiction doesn't it? Most are covered by general revenue and the tax dollar in the form of "Brumby Labor Government Funding", yet Corinella has to be paid for by the RFL.......I wonder why? What did Corinella do wrong to be outcast from the Victorian Coastal Strategy? :blink: I wonder if it's a bit of political smoke and mirrors? Or is there something or some point I'm missing? :blink:I hope they are not now using the RFL to help bolster tax dollars.........are they? Something just doesn't quite add up there for me, any ideas? :unsure:

Don't know what Tonyb is trying to say. :dry: We have a lot of nice jetties here in SA and being maintained. :cheer: We pay a levy on our boat rego and have better boat ramps than any other state, must admitte, some need still need looking at, but I'm happy with them.We have Marine Parks meetings in progress to help preserve our fish stocks, so what are you trying to tell us. :)

Botttom line fellahs is that I get a lot of interesting stuff fed to me via my SARFAC connection. Me being a fairly ignorant type on most things that don't have a "Freshwater" prefix to them, I then find myself able to present these li'l tidbits to the much more knowledgeable core of this Forum and sit back and learn ship loads about that which I knew nothing of!Keep up the good work guys ;) PS I was quite impressed with the Vic. stocking program tho;!!Aaahh well, it'll all come good when we get our RFL in the fullness of time :evil:

Also I have been following these decussions and time for a say.tony, your saying that you know a lot of inforomation, but only passing it on to the much more knowledgeable core of this forum. Well I take that as an insult.All this is about fresh water fish stocks, so there should be a Fresh Water Fishing Licence, or FWFL.As mention before, the salt water fishing has aready programs in place.

I hear your argument, but, please correct me if I'm wrong, does this mean you would like to have a licence for freshwater and then another for the marine fishery?A big can of worms there I suspect!It is also a well known and publicised fact that marine fish are also being re-stocked in interstate environments courtesy of RFL funding!PS I love ALL forms of fishing but it's just that my immediate attention is always focussed on Freshwater Fishing (current SAFWAA President)

• 2 years later...