YFW and POPPER technique. What works for ya???

Okay, I've had a crack at the YFW using poppers, infact one popper, a little clear bassday crystal popper and it worked famously :):):):):):):):)But what advice do youse have on popper technique, colours, sizes, rods, reels, line etc. Especially water depth. I've had success in really shallow water (wading). And caught fish using a popper in water to only about a meter and am hesitant to use this surface method if the water is deeper, (like 1 to 3m). I imagine the YFW would not hit the surface so readily if it's 3m from the sand??? Maybe someone can tell me differently.Also, I use my general light lure/Sp outfit. 2-4kg rod with 2500 reel, 6lb braid and about 2m of 4lb fluro leader.... Any other successful outfits????The whole YFW/popper thing is pretty new to me but really exciting way to fish them. Would love to hear how others have gone and what tips they are happy to give :) Big cheers and tight lines

I'm pretty intrigued with surface popper fishing. Have you heard of Squid taking them?

Gday.I can't imaging that Squid would go for surface lures.I've found that Squid will take the ubiquitous imitation Prawn jig near the surface, but more often than not it has occurred after they've followed it - or another jigged squid - up from close to the bottom.I'd love to see it happen though and would definitely NOT put $1000 on a bet that it will never occur.Cheers.

i was fishing te north haven wall about a few weeks back and had 3 squid attack my 50mm popper when i was hooking ST's on it. the squid followed the popper all the way to the wall and i tried to jag one for about half an hour before i gave up and went back to the ST'sand no luck on poppers on YFW yet.. but i agree once your in about 3' of water would prob be about the limit.

i was fishing te north haven wall about a few weeks back and had 3 squid attack my 50mm popper when i was hooking ST's on it. the squid followed the popper all the way to the wall and i tried to jag one for about half an hour before i gave up and went back to the ST'sand no luck on poppers on YFW yet.. but i agree once your in about 3' of water would prob be about the limit.

Wow.Come to think of it, I've hooked squid in the past on a diving lure, I just never imagined it happening with a popper.Lucky I didn't lose $1000 that I don't have.Cheers.

lucky.. i was gonna hit you up for it.. :Pi was as surprised as you are.. but 3 squid actively attacked it. i didint have a jag on me just some SX40s a couple poppers and some blades and plastics. the popper was really the only chance lol i was keen for a pic of it if i got one to post up on here!