I need your opinions gentlemen

Alrighty... I'm headed off to coffin bay with a big group of people in december and my mate has decided to come along who I think owns a proline 23ft express :) (It may not be the exact model but almost identical) So now there is no doubt we will go over to greenly :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: So i need to gear up for some (fingers crossed) INSANE fishing! My problem is how heavy do i need to go? I have sorted a rod for each but thats not the issue. Now I have narrowed my choices down to two reels...Option 1) Saltiga Expedition Z6500 running 80lb braidOption 2) Saltiga S-Extreme Z4500 running 50lb braidNOW! This reel will be mainly for jigging but I suppose I'll find other uses for it later. So i'm not sure whether i'll be better suited to the larger one or the smaller one. I don't want to be undergunned out there but I don't want the reel to be massive overkill... What would you do?ALL opinions are MASSIVELY appreciated!ThanksSquid

howdy statesquider,i have done a couple of longe range trips out to greenley and honestly would go for the 4500.i have both size reels,for extended jigging sessions the 4500 will be far more pleasant due to the reduced weight and cumbersome factor.my 6500 was mainly used as a livebait,come groper outfit.the 4500 will do all these jobs.you could also chekout the new 5000 size teamed up with the spartan rod,looking at this outfit myself at the moment and is very nice,60lb outfit.another good tip is to use split rings for quick jig changes and incorporate solid rings on your bait leaders which makes for quick efficient rig changes.hope this helps.we went last year,and we are doing a five dayer again in this coming april so i cannot wait.awesome place and awesome fishing.cheers and goodluck.

MAN fishing is such a money pit, after you think youve got all the gear you need you find out you just have to get more:laugh: i am also going on this trip and will need a jigging/poppering combo. Now ive got the money and ive held and played around with the new 2010 saltiga combo and it was mental, sooooo light but yet it felt sooooo smooth and ballsy. its just like my new certate i purchased a while ago only its the bigger serious brother.BUT nearly $2000 is alot to spend on a rod and real and i live in adel so other than sharks it probly would be too overkill for our metro waters, so i dont no if i can justify it as i probly wont be at greenly all that often.SO do i go for a cheeper combo or another option is, ive got a saltiga surf 6000 with 50lb on it . do i get say a jigging rod like the s-extreme of whatever rod would suit the reel, or should the reel be used for just the surf?any help would be appreciated. thanx lord fisher.oh and statesquider hope i dindnt highjack ya thread but thought we going on same trip and both need some mental gear, cant wait 4 the trip man.

i would buy a rod to suit the reel u have already, i've wasted heaps of cash buying fishing gear for those once in a lifetime fishing trips and once the trip is over just watch it gather dust.I guess the other option is spend the money if it gives u the confidence u need to not let u down and turn your trip into a pleasant experience and not a disaster and maybe sell it at a slight loss when u get back putting it down too a sucessfull and fun trip outweighing the monetary loss you incur. good luck on your trip

haha cheers monkey that was the ULTIMATE HIJACK! Start your own thread ya plum!Anyway back to MY thread. I reckon i'll prefer the larger reel and with 550 yards of 50lb it should smash a lot of things out there. Having spent the money I will definitely find a use for it for more than this trip so I have no trouble spending the money (working my ass off at the moment).Given any type of rod (no specifics, just use your imagination) what sort of fish can I knock off with this reel spooled with 50lb?

Statesquider, I would be choosing the 4500Z as I think the 6500 Expedition will be too heavy to hang onto for an extended period.Jigging is seriously tiring work and unless youve been at the gym for three months prior to going on the trip, you will wish you had the 4500.Ive seen footage of the 4500Z stopping everything from BIG arse tuna to Marlin.These things have some serious stopping power.I think your arms are going to drop off. You guys would be jigging 200-300grams and maybe even 400 so the 4500 is going to give you the reduced weight to allow you to impart great action on the jigs all day long.Then when you do throw slugs at Tuna, it will be RIGHT at home.

Hey Matefrom my experience out there a saltiga 4500 is perfect for 98% of the fish you're likely to catch.These reels can stop some big fish.If you are only getting one or the other then the 4500 would be my recommendation.I think the new 4500's have a beefed up drag up to 15kgs too. The new 5000 size is worth looking at too.Ideally it would be nice to have a 6500 & 4500 but from experience the 6500 is overkill and rarely gets used when a 4500 is available.

• 2 months later...