slightly disturbed after cockling at Goolwa

headed down to goolwa last minute this arvo tho grab some cockles. got our limit in about half an hour with some nice sized ones. after this we witnessed a couple a disturbing things....disturbing 1after getting the cockles i wanted to test out my new colorado so we boosted down to the mouth, not before passing 4 people with out a lie they had 8 30litre buckets full to the brim of cockles next to there 4x4. usually i would stop and dish out a decent ear bashing but having seen fisheries 100m back down the beach these people were on borrowed time. 30 min later we came back past and yep the fisheries had seized their cockles and it looked like some heavy s@#t was going down. i thought to myself how often would these people have done this in the past and got away with it and it was only luck that the fisheries were there at the time. is this due to ignorance or poor education that people try this on.disturbed for the 2nd time headed back along the beach to head home when we came across another disturbing sight (funny but not serious). the sight included an elderly gentlmen doing the old cockle twist BUTT NAKED, lets just say everything was swinging from side to side as he was searching for his cockles and as we drove passed he even gave us a little wave, not something you see every day. gave us a good old laugh and a terrible image burnt in the brain.

headed back along the beach to head home when we came across another disturbing sight (funny but not serious). the sight included an elderly gentlmen doing the old cockle twist BUTT NAKED' date=' lets just say everything was swinging from side to side as he was searching for his cockles and as we drove passed he even gave us a little wave, not something you see every day. gave us a good old laugh and a terrible image burnt in the brain.[/quote']Ummm, sorry bout that!I did stop when I got my 300 limit though, and they were all 35mm or larger, unlike my manhood........geez that water's cold! :blush:

I can't count the number of times I have driven down Goolwa beach to see people doing the wrong thing.Worst thing I have ever seen down there was a family of around 15 piled into two 4x4, had several huge buckets of cockles that were I shit you not, no wider than 1cm across.Not many legal ones around that day and after pulling up IMMEDIATELY beside us they started chucking heaps of cockles in their bucket. Pretty obvious at that point that they were not checking sizes.I pulled them up on it and tried to explain the rules. After they played the language barrier game I ended up calling fisheries. I wasn't convinced they didn't know what they were doing.Advised by fisheries that they were too busy to attend. Was told that a call had already been made about the group though.I urge everyone to just call fisheries when you see the wrong thing being done. The rules are made to protect the amazing resource that we are lucky enough to have on our doorstep. I personally want to take my children and grandchildren down there in years to come.

I can't count the number of times I have driven down Goolwa beach to see people doing the wrong thing.Worst thing I have ever seen down there was a family of around 15 piled into two 4x4' date=' had several huge buckets of cockles that were I shit you not, no wider than 1cm across.Not many legal ones around that day and after pulling up IMMEDIATELY beside us they started chucking heaps of cockles in their bucket. Pretty obvious at that point that they were not checking sizes.I pulled them up on it and tried to explain the rules. After they played the language barrier game I ended up calling fisheries. I wasn't convinced they didn't know what they were doing.Advised by fisheries that they were too busy to attend. Was told that a call had already been made about the group though.I urge everyone to just call fisheries when you see the wrong thing being done. The rules are made to protect the amazing resource that we are lucky enough to have on our doorstep. I personally want to take my children and grandchildren down there in years to come.[/quote']well said mate and good 1st post.
I think 300 a day per person is plenty' date=' when you think they will cost you close to 75c each at the tackle store, you're getting good value for money out of a trip to goolwa!![/quote']I don't know about that.I eat cockles as well as using them for bait, and I traditionally did a trip to Goolwa once per season to collect my cockles and have a good feed.There's just me and the wife, with no kids to help collect, so our once per year trip to Goolwa is now for 600 cockles (formerly 1200 cockles).We eat 200 of them the next day, and 400 cockles isn't a big supply to last as bait for a year.Due to this new bag limit I no longer bother with the expense of driving the 4WD all the way down there and back (around $60 in fuel). When I need a bag of cockles now I just buy them, and no longer cook any up.
I eat cockles as well as using them for bait' date=' and I traditionally did a trip to Goolwa once per season to collect my cockles and have a good feed.There's just me and the wife, with no kids to help collect, so our once per year trip to Goolwa is now for 600 cockles (formerly 1200 cockles).We eat 200 of them the next day, and 400 cockles isn't a big supply to last as bait for a year.Due to this new bag limit I no longer bother with the expense of driving the 4WD all the way down there and back (around $60 in fuel). When I need a bag of cockles now I just buy them, and no longer cook any up.[/quote']Gday.How do you - or how did you - prepare your cockles for eating?Stir fry? Pickled? Some sort of seafood soup?Cheers

How do you - or how did you - prepare your cockles for eating?Stir fry?

First they need to be purged to remove all the sand.Do this by suspending a bag of them in salt water for 24 hours' date=' and they will start spitting all the sand out.After that they are really easy to cook! I do mine in a wok.A bit of chopped chili, a bit of finely chopped garlic, and a coupla spoons of the chinese chili/garlic paste go into the wok first.Throw in the cockles, bung a lid on the wok until the shells open, and the water they contain makes a sauce with the chili and garlic.Discard any unopened shells![img']http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1179/1439973661_6a74eda78b_m.jpg[/img]

I pulled them up on it and tried to explain the rules. After they played the language barrier game I ended up calling fisheries. I wasn't convinced they didn't know what they were doing.Advised by fisheries that they were too busy to attend. Was told that a call had already been made about the group though.I urge everyone to just call fisheries when you see the wrong thing being done. The rules are made to protect the amazing resource that we are lucky enough to have on our doorstep. I personally want to take my children and grandchildren down there in years to come.well said mate and good 1st post.Just a quick one. if you cant get fisheries to come down.... give the local cop a call. Hes more then willing to catch and fine people doing the wrong thing and he takes no crap.