Fishing phone apps...

Just got myself a new HTC phone and looking for any recommended fishing apps. Tidal and weather info or catch records etc, anything really.I'm currently using Windows Phone 7 (pain in the rear sometimes) but would also be interested in iPhone coz my dad has one of those and why not Android too.Not trying to start any Microsoft vs Apple vs Linux wars :evil: , they all have their merits.Cheers

I have iPhone and use "pocket weather" and "Navionics".Pocket weather is good for 7day forecast and great tide and sunrise charts. I love the easy access to radar at the push of a button. You can compare the synoptic chart with the live wind Doppler... Pretty cool.And Navionics charts are great, because you can flick around and look at charts anytime. On the water it is just as accurate as the boats Chart plotter.I'd be interested to know any other Apps people are using...

I have an HTC Desire and have recently dowloaded Time2Fish which has a free and a paid for version - I currently use the free version whilst trialing the software.For your current location it gives best time to fish on Moon postioning - also has Sunrise and Moon timeshttp://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-baddaddy-time2fishfree-qjACq.aspxCheers Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont care much for the weather ones and can see them costing data, but the GPS / chart ones interest me. I wouldve thought that once the charts are loaded onto the phone, it would just use your "position" within the network to overlay your GPS positions over the charts. Can only think that the charts are constantly getting "accessed" as you use them.If so I can then see why it may incur an on going data transfer (ie cost)whilst using the app.:huh:

seems I was right:Q. Can I navigate with the Android phones if there is no internet connectivity?A. An internet connection is only needed to download Navionics Mobile to your Android phones. Once downloaded, the map resides on the Android phones allowing you to view Navionics Mobile Maps with the smartphone's internal GPS.Q. How does the Android phones calculate my position?A. The Android phone calculates your position using its internal GPS, as well as any additional available signals i.e. Wi-Fi and/or cell. The Navionics Mobile app does not require Wi-Fi nor cell signals to function, only the GPS in order to show your position.Q. Do I need to have cellular coverage to use the GPS function?A. With the Android phones , location technology is built into the device. Your approximate location is determined using available information from cellular network data, local Wi-Fi networks (if you have Wi-Fi turned on), and GPS (GPS not available in all locations). Once you have downloaded Navionics Mobile applications to your Android phone, they are resident on your device and are a reliable tool to access charts even when not in cell range. Only had my HTC for a day, but begining to enjoy it B)

I only have 700mb data on my IPhone and never go over (and I spend a million hours on here having smoko lol)If you start using the Navionics ALE, make sure the satellite overlay is switched off while navigating, because they are google earth pictures that do cost/use data. ;) but I lose Internet connection real quick in the boat. Usually can't even send a txt.But the GPS, the charts and all your tracks and waypoints will work like a charm :) :)Infact sometimes on a mark we will flick the lowrance over to full screen sounder and keep the Phone going so we can wack the waypoint in as soon as the lump/fish/whateva appear

Not sure how iPhone and Android apps work but I know alot of Windows Phone 7 apps use Online maps, bing and google maps etc which are loaded dynamically not stored as far as I know. So every time you use them they would use data.Also depends how your phone gets it's GPS data. Different phones/apps get their data using different systems... Can be GPS or AGPS (Assisted GPS using data from phone networks). My dad's iPhone was cranking through his data with his AGPS app until he got a different app using standard GPS.As long as you know how your app gets its data you'll be right.