There's been a fair bit of chat on the site of late regarding using burley, usually in the posts on SnapperI'm starting to think two things.Use Burley only if there aren't obviously fish there, and /or you plan on staying there to wait for them to arrive. Of course you're more likeley to attract teh rubbsih too.orJust sound around til you find the fish, see if they bite right away, and then use burley to get them going if they dont :huh: Dont forget that not all fish will show on a sounder either :whistle: Cheers

if you ever venture down to a boat ramp and see a pro boat ask them if they use burley!!!:unsure: i fish with 3 blokes who have all been chasing them for over 15 years none of them ever use it. i went out with a mate from work last fri nite and he wanted to use it and i asked him not but said its your boat your rules he didnt end up using any we bagged out. (not that this happens all the time):laugh: we use the sounder to find structure we want to fish on but not to see the actual fish. more often than not they will turn sounder off once anchored.so AFF i dont use burley for anything other than gar and tommies cheers 4THALOVE

I always get better results with berley but sometimes its probably not needed.I fish a couple of pro grounds off ardrossan and theres no need for berley as the fish are schooled up against big structure.

I agree whole heartedly.But generally, unless the fish are lit up on the sounder like that, if I'm anchored, the burley hits the water almost as quick as the anchor does ;)Very very interesting to hear what others reckon/do especially how 4THALOVE describes it... And he has the fish to prove it.... It just goes to show.Ps you will find me somewhere off the metro coast this Saturday, with shite loads of burley out :)

I see where you're coming from 4The Love :)

I always get better results with berley but sometimes its probably not needed.I fish a couple of pro grounds off ardrossan and theres no need for berley as the fish are schooled up against big structure.

Thats exactly what I was getting at Mw :) having said, if the fish dont want to bite, maybe a few scraps are just what they need to get them on the chew.

Ive used berley for 7years and have had several trips where you could see fish schooled up on the sounder but were obiviously shut down as all baits dropped to the bottom resulted in nothing! We have then gotten a burley trail going and suddenly had the school going nutz and pulled fish of various sizes until we got out bag of big and smalls.I will never fish without burley around the change of tide.I might also add that the only time I have attracted any other fish than snapper or untargetted fish is when up at Ardrossan with Greydog and had sharks find us in the burley trail, which he accurately said was going to happen.Brent, your theory to me sounds pretty sound I think.But thats why I like to do a drift over any schools, drop a bait on their heads. If they are biting (this is what the charter operators do) then they will do a couple more drifts and if they go off the bite they will anchor up and the shear number of baits will get them going again. But as rec anglers with only a few guys in the boat, thats when I get a burley going flat out to get them into a feeding frenzy.So basicly unless youve got a monster school of fish showing on the sounder that is clearly hungry and going to provide your bag limit in no time flat, then Im deploying burley as soon as the tide starts to slow, which is pretty much when Im arriving on the drop. Unless Im doing an inshore session, and arriving an hour or too before dark, then ive got the burley going straight away.Snapper like sharks can find a bait from long distances and if you watch the victorian charter operators like Matt Cini from reel time they always cube up. They do have structure and big schools(and the risk of untargetted rubbish arriving) but the increase to the catch far outways the risk :lol: