spear fishing in local waters

Fish spear or hand spearHand-held fish spears or spear guns can be used in most waters of South Australia and do not need to be registered. However, certain restrictions apply.Spearfishing with a hand fish spear or a spear gun is not permitted:in the Hindmarsh and Inman Rivers and within 200 metres of their mouths in Gulf St Vincent within 600 metres of high water mark between Outer Harbour (southern most breakwater) and Gulf View Road, Christies Beach (where the Port Noarlunga Aquatic Reserve commences) – spears are not allowed to be used unless south of Onkaparinga Head within 100 metre of jetties, landings and wharves, including foreshore areas in the waters of Second Valley Bay contained within the boundaries of the western extremity of the bay to the eastern extremity of the bay. You can carry a fish spear or unloaded spear in the above waters, but only if carrying the device to or from a boat.Carrying and/or using a hand fish spear or a spear gun is not permitted in:the River Murray and all other freshwater rivers and streams of South Australia, including the land up to 100 metres from them all aquatic reserves (except Blanche Harbour-Douglas Bank where you can use hand fish spears to take scale fish and shark, but no other organisms) all waters of the West Lakes system and the foreshore areas (including reserves for public use) adjacent to those waters.http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/fishing_gear/permitted_devices#Spear

Guest davidm#2

not to sure how updated your restrictions are kelvin.coz, 2day went for a spear at nth haven and got told by cops that you can NOT spear fish between the northern outer harbour breakwater and aldinga beach, and 400m off shore.,that is the most i know.cheers

Hi i was just wondering what the rules are and if your allowed to snorkle and spear fish in places like north haven' date=' outer harbour and westlakes?Is it not allowed due to the fact that it is hard to measure fish and crabs?[/quote']Hi Nhan,Post your question up on the PIRSA Board mate for a definitive answer!They might not answer your question right away but when they do it will be spot on!My memory of the regulations are: no spearfishing within 600 metres of the Metropolitan Coastline. This excludes a hell of a lot of us who are not keen to mix it with the great white biteys in their own back yard!
not to sure how updated your restrictions are kelvin.coz' date=' 2day went for a spear at nth haven and got told by cops that you can NOT spear fish between the northern outer harbour breakwater and aldinga beach, and 400m off shore.,that is the most i know.cheers[/quote']That was always my rule of thumb but pretty sure the southern boundry is southern side of the onk mouth but yeah think it went out to 600 mt from 400 a few years back. Obvisouly aldinga is out within the markers as well.

yeah from waht i know the southern boundary is the southern headland of the onk river a few mates and i have spear fished in this area quite alot and we always just carry the leaflet stating the boundaries and aslong yoiu stay out from the southern most point of the cliffs your pritty well right aslong as mr whitey doesnt decide for an inshore dip/snack. although bronzies arent known for attackin humans it still wasnt a good feelin gettin a call last summer 5 minutes after id gotten out of the water after being in there for a couple of hrs too be told about an apparent 4mtr bronzie hangin round noarlunga lol .

Thanks for all the replies, we're just using hand nets to land them now. We didnt find too many anyway. Its very daunting when you swim over a batch of water where its too deep to see the bottom.It was our first time doing this sort of thing. Was pretty fun, prob going to get more into it. much better then sitting on a jetty waiting to see that nothing is in you net or going out to rake to only find small ones.

Me and Mars1 were pretty pi**ed off to see two guys spearing leathers, a strongy and a crab last night half way between Marino and Hallet Cove :angry: :angry: :angry:They left their catch in a pool near us with the strongy still alive after being speared and when they came to pick up their catch they left the strongy behind! Mars1 said" You've left one behind" and he replied that he doesn't know why he speared it as they don't even eat them :ohmy: :dry: :angry:SOOOOO frustrating as PIRSA would have been unable to do a thing about it and what could we do? Annoying that they will continue getting away with it as well!!!!While I'm having a bit of a "bitch", I might as well air another thing that upsets me, there are dozens of kayakers out on any fine evening in the summertime and not one of them wears a life jacket as required by law :huh: :huh: :huh:

Me and Mars1 were pretty pi**ed off to see two guys spearing leathers' date=' a strongy and a crab last night half way between Marino and Hallet Cove :angry: :angry: :angry:They left their catch in a pool near us with the strongy still alive after being speared and when they came to pick up their catch they left the strongy behind! Mars1 said" You've left one behind" and he replied that he doesn't know why he speared it as they don't even eat them :ohmy: :dry: :angry:SOOOOO frustrating as PIRSA would have been unable to do a thing about it and what could we do? Annoying that they will continue getting away with it as well!!!!:[/quote']Bloody terrible Tony. Awesome fish strongies, so hard to tempt to take your line, but wouldn't even be a challenge with a spear.... VerySad

i too see people spearing at sullies fairly often they either have some big cahoonas or are jst rather stoopid cause fisheries are at that ramp a fair bit through summer guess its just a matter of time before 1 of em gets made an example of ,besides that whats the point in spearing there when ya only have too go a few k's further down the road and your allowed too .