thurs night with my misses Sian , was a dud as no bait fish were caught . so sat night when i went out with Leeroy nugget we grabbed a bag off pilchards just in case . after about 5 hours we managed to catch 6 bait fish in all . 2 trumpeters , 3 mullet and 1 salmon trout . we headed to a spot and waited for the tide to slow down . when the tide had slowed enough i baited up with the pilchards to have a crack . we had half a bag each and one decent run with no hookup . onto the live bait . Leeroy had a decent run but didn't manage to hookup . Then i had a run and managed to hookup onto a little 56cm mully .[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\05022011022.jpg[/attachment] enough to have some fun and keep me happy . sat around for another hr and i think i might of nodded of before reeling in my line to empty hooks . no bait left so home i went . also add , when we pulled up to the shore i was talking to a couple of fellas , nick and butch . as we were talking nicks line had a run and he hooked up onto a nice 58cm mully and that was his first . he was wrapped .

• 3 months later...

g'day welcome too strike hook i reckon i could probabley speak for jimbo here myself and him run very similar gear for onk mullies i myself use a abu garcia bait runner in the 4050 size running 12lb fireline ,usually with a 15lb leader of around a mtre or so decent size circle hooks from around 5/0 up just enough sinker too keep the live bait on the bottom and if not using a livey and depending where the fishing is happening if the current isnt too strong no weight for a dead bait .thats what i mainly use for onk mullies.Oh and 1 other piece of gear i dont generally have at my disposal this bloody canoe with some sought of mully attractent built into it .MM

basically wot mully_madness an banger said . my choice at the moment is 12lb mono line with running sinker to 20lb leader and two hooks 4/0 or 6/0 or combination . once ive got the metre plus mully i will be down sizing to between 4lb to 8lb main line . depending on how many i start losing on 4lb ? if you want to catch up for a sesh let us know .

Not exactly onk mulloway, but estuary mulloway non the less;I've just switched down from 20lb mono main with 30lb leader, to 10lb braid with 20lb main. -since I've spent a bit of time trying to get the jewies I've almost forgotten how to catch a bloody snapper, so winter will see me spending some time hunting the mulloway instead. -I've also gone down in rod and reel size too. From the 3500 Penn and 10kg ugly stick, down to a 6kg daiwa rod with my little 2500 okuma. -yesterday was the first outing with this gear, the idea was to try it out on some snapper... But no dice :(It's good to hear that you mulloway guys use lighter gear than I've been using and I gives me a bit of confidence that I might be able to dothe job with this lighter set up I've put together. We haven't hit the meter mark yet, but the biggest one we hooked was my old man with a 95cm fish couple weeks back and man did that give him some curry on the heavy (20lb) gear :ohmy: My PB still rests at te 83cm mark from the first session of our mnth long mully run. I reckon I coulda got this fish on my new set up, but bigger fish are sure to give me a work out.... I guess the theory is goingto be the same for all species.... The lighter the gear, the more runs your gonna get.With a mulloways mouth full of sharp little razor fangs, I don't like my chances of going under 20lb for a leader. Just current mulloway thoughts from this mug punter.... Tight lines all you jewie hunting nutta's :):):):):)

i use 10lb suffix sometimes 6lb and i use 20lb jinkai leader with either 2 3/0 gammys pretty wide set apart for a hook behind the head and a hook through just above the tail ive had much success like this with not many lost fish i wait a good few 5 slow nervous excited seconds or more while the fish is running then i strike haha ive even waite loong eough that one of my legal fish swallowed the livey and my hooks got rshed out of the gills and around and foul hooked it on the side near its head lol was wierd the line went through its mouth outta the gills lol. ive landed fish form 30cm to 18lb in there wit this method. cheers tp

• 2 weeks later...

ive done a little bit of fishin for mully in the onk, i suually use two rods as well, one to catch the bait and have one out looking either for a decent bream waiting for a livey, have landed one decent legal mully there over a year ago but since then only a few schoolie around the 50cm range max.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...