WADERS -- Dangerous or Not

ive caught big salmon on a remote beach over W.A. in nothing but wetsuit boots' date=' yep you read it right, wetsuit boots totally nube except for the boots!! very liberating!! :boot:[/quote']hahahahaa... i met a couple of lads out fishing once, and they had a fish with me a few times... good lads as well, they often hit the west coast for salmon, and one of them reckons when they go to a different beach, they both strip off and do a tockley run to the waters edge and back again as an offering.. just WHAT they were offering the water and fish i didnt ask....:lol:
ive caught big salmon on a remote beach over W.A. in nothing but wetsuit boots' date=' yep you read it right' date=' wetsuit boots totally nube except for the boots!! very liberating!! :boot:[/quote'']hahahahaa... i met a couple of lads out fishing once, and they had a fish with me a few times... good lads as well, they often hit the west coast for salmon, and one of them reckons when they go to a different beach, they both strip off and do a tockley run to the waters edge and back again as an offering.. just WHAT they were offering the water and fish i didnt ask....:lol:
I'm thinking shrimp and blood worms :lol:

howdy,i personally use waders and will also agree with what pillie said about being able to kick them off.buy them bigger and know what to do in an emergency if you need to kick them off quick.i wouldn't wear them out in the boat though,too risky.in my opinion waders can make the difference between catching fish and not catching,staying dry and comfortable for longer periods can really pay off big time.we found this out on our last west coast trip.just don't take silly risks in water that is too deep,cheers.

Bit of an eye opener' date=' i wear waders but only go out up to my knees- low thighs, now will be very careful, i bought them cheap and sometimes womder if a good pair of gum boots would be better, i gave up jetty fishing after never catching anything,[/quote']I only started surf fishing a year or so ago and have been wearing them - def a bit of an eye opener for me as well. I dont see the point in wearing them on a boat though?:silly: ? I just make sure I never turn my back on the waves and only go in about knee deep. Its more for warmth than anything.
I can't see the point of waders but they would be good when wading the shallows for an extended session' date='probably pretty good down in the stinky onk mud as well but i wouldn't bother when launching the boat. cheers brenton[/quote'] they can be great for wading up the onk although some of that mud is rather deep and sticky :laugh: first hand experience there, i wear my waders just about everytime i fish a beach and like a few of the other fellas said i have mine 2 sizes larger then my shoes not only for quick exit if ever needed but i find it gives me more comfort when crouching down at the tackle bag or whatever on the beach that little bit more room is a good thing too have . i try not too wade out though during the night sessions as ive experienced that 1 step too many once before one the east coast luckily i was able too step back up onto the bar.wouldnt dream of wading out at somewhere like salties of a night or even the day for that matter.You cant beat thermals and waders on those stone cold winter days though .MM

Waders no worries......just dont be stupid and wade in past your knees, when we were down salt creek i wore them the whole time, but could see that you could get in trouble pretty quick if swamped by a wave at beach like salts....very steep.....and yeh i wouldnt wear them on a boat either, no point.

Here is a report done by a SARDI scientist. It will dispel some myths & fallacies regarding waders. I do 95% of my fishing in waders. Use common sense, take care of waves & currents & you will be fine. I have on numerous occasions "gone swimming" in my waders. Contrary to popular opinion; waders that fill up with water will not take you to the bottom & drown you. Surprise! surprise! water has the same buoyancy as ... err ... water! Your waders are not filling up with concrete. You can quiet easily swim in your waders. Stay calm. Panic kills more people than waders do.