Ugly Oogalley Fish ID Required

Well this one has me stumped, have got a few weird and wonderful over the years but this has me be-jiggered Posted Image.Was flicking a SP on a heavy head on the bottom around the cement terminal and got a good hit but soon was dragged into a snag, gave some slack line and out from the snag it came.It had a lot of weight and gave a few shakes but was soon on the deck and was it UGLY (no its not the Mother Inlaw)Posted ImageA Face only a Mother could love (No not mine Posted Image)Posted ImageSome nasty Gill Raker's on the bugger Posted ImagePosted ImageSo any ideas ! ! ! ! ! Posted Image[me=Buff]

Guest undertaker

Was at the Brighton Cement Terminal in the Port river fishing in about 7m of water {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifGoing by his colour (Camo Diesel/Sump Oil) I would say he has been there awhile {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif[me=Buff]

Nice assumption there Buff.........caught a "few" bream in the Port over the years with the same features.My first guess on your fish (great pics mate) was a cod type jobby from the tropics......obviously lost! Good link there too BildaEither that,or the 3 eyed fish from the Simpsons.....mutant of some kind........still,I think the creek in Springfield would be cleaner than the Port!

The closest thing I can find on the Australian Museum Fish web site is the Family [i:24p653fw]Scorpaenidae[/i:24p653fw]Posted ImageWith a [i:24p653fw]Notesthes robusta[/i:24p653fw] Common name: Bullrout, the closest matchhttp://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishf ... obusta.htmPosted ImageGlad I had Lip Grippers for this bugger as in the same family are the Scorpion fishQuote regarding the Bullrout

This fish should only be handled with extreme care. The dorsal, anal and pelvic spines all have venom glands. A puncture wound from one of these spines can be excruciatingly painful.

Whether it is or not I dont know {SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif[me=Buff]
Guest undertaker

Maybe should give yourself a prick with the spines to be sure {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gifSort the "men from the boys" {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif

Buff,To me the head doesn't look spiney or ugly enough to be a Bullrout and the dorsal fin near the tail is very rounded on your fish and kind of square on the one in the picture. I'd still go along with some sort of cod. It's amasing what comes out of that river somedays {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers Darren

I caught one almost identical off of horseshoe reef about 5 years ago.Had one look at it in the net, cut the line and threw it back.They are not a pretty fish and look quite intimidating in the flesh.My wife and I spent a bit of time looking it up in our books and online but we had no success at all. As has been suggested we came up with some close comparisons but thats all they were close.

It's the first one I've seen. It looks like a cod of some sort but I can't find an ID pic anywhere?????????? The closest fish that I have found that resembles anything like it appears to be a rockfish. I don't think they are meant to inhabit our waters though. Here's a picture of a rockfish, it certainly has some of its identifying features. What do ya reckon. size=800http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/MNyjIHh6__800px_Rockfish_Sebastes_spp__01.jpg[/img]

WOW thats scary it looks exactly like the one I got Posted ImageAs you said I didn't think Rock Fish were found in our waters but it looks very much like thats what it is {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif Will try to get a confirmed ID from the museum {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Checking through my "Sea Fishes of Southern Australia" book I'd say it's a "Southern Red Scorpioncod" (scorpaena papillosus) pge 42 # 177, the gill cover spine pattern is close as is the habitat preference, i.e "coastal & estuarine reef", max size listed as 37 cm, is given 3 stars as a table fish which is pretty good. Although I'd probably get someone else to clean it & cop the spines as the 12 dorsals are poisonous.

If Spog61 is correct and it is a Southern Red Scorpioncod pic. 177 pge # 43. (It certainly appears Spog 61 could be correct). it is hard to confirm because a photo of this fish is sadly lacking.According to Sea Fishes of Southern Australia it is also known as the Common Red Rock Cod and chained scorpionfish Max. size 37cm. It maybe common but it ain't that common in a photo. ??? :icon_e_surprised:It appears the specimen you have caught Buff is an excellent representation and photo of this fish. I’ve searched the net far and wide and can’t find a good photo of it anywhere.Once identified maybe your photo should be submitted.I am looking forward to finding out its true identity after the museum has had a good look.