Greatest Light Tackle Sport Fish

Hi AllWas just digging through some photo archives and come across pictures of some Milk Fish i caught in Darwin Harbour.Brought back fond memories of how hard they fight and the blistering speed with which they run after gulping down a piece of bread.On the right tackle the power and speed of these fish has to be experienced to be believed. Runs of over 100 metres in probably less than 20 seconds under 3 or 4 kgs of drag pressure is normal and a big milkie of say 15 pounds or more will do several of these runs over the 20 odd minutes they take to get in using 15 pound braid.I've not experienced another fish that runs so fast that you can hear your braid slice through the water.They also smash a piece of bread like a big kingie smashes a garfish or salmon trout. You see a bow wave coming towards your bread then a massive surface explosion where your bread was once floating.I've caught plenty of tuna, samsons, sharks etc but none of them get my adrenalin pumping like milk fish do.

Picture035.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Yeah just stirring ya man.Those things are true beasts, theres a local celeb fishing guy (belongs to one of the darwin fishing clubs) by the name of Blue (cos of his ranga red hair) who likes to fish landbased for them with bread too.Seen some footage of him catching a few of them.True torpedoes of the sea. Like salmon on steroids!!:blush:Now what would be fun is to hook up a puffed up puffer fish up to a Mily and have the Milky tow it around at high speed. (sorry no cruelty to animals intended) LOL

Yeah you have to catch one to believe what they are like. I was told all about them but took a lot of it as exaggeration util i actually caught one an relaised it wasn't exaggeration.In my opinion theres just nothing else like them.

Ever wonder why anglers from all over the world spent great wads of cash to travel to remote islands in the paicific and indian oceans to catch a fish that looks little more than an oversized whiting?My take on it is Bonefish must be like Milkfish in that they possess power and speed that for their size totally defies all logic.

In the Whitsundays there are a couple of estuaries that hold Milky’s and they sit in the filthiest of water slurping down the weed floating on the surface. Have not landed any as big as your pics but a couple about half that. The big ones just blew us away.Windy Bay on Hazelwood Island was good spot for them as well and we would pick up bonefish as well. Old man tried to eat a bonefish thinking it was a whiting. You have never seen so many ultra fine Garfish like bones in a fish that weighs 2 – 3 kg.Heard that they soak Milky’s in vinegar for a couple of weeks and it dissolves the bones and makes the soft enough to eat.Your right though they are a great sportfish.

Pound for pound i doubt there's anything in the ocean that would match the speed and power of a milkfish. From what i hear maybe a bonefish would.If you get the chance to head up to Darwin and catch one you'll know what i mean.

Love this post nanman. I got one in 2004, 6.9kg on 4kg and it took 1hr 52minutes to boat, when i finally had it to the boat it took another 20 minutes agonisingly just out of net range before we boated it.....didn't try for them again after that on light gear....they fight too hard! Great fun and a coldie went down well afterwards!

Hey BradThey're just gold aren't they!!I would've loved to have hooked one on 4kg gear but everytime i visited darwin the lightest outfit i took was my 10kg barra rod.1hr 52minutes with 4kg line doesn't surprise me at all. They're insane. Maybe its the energy they get from all the carbs in bread!One fond memory i have i've them was the day my younger brother used dad's barra rod. The reel was a calcutta 50 or 100 (can't remember which) with about 100 metres of 30lb braid. plenty enough for barra.Dad told him not to take it but he took it anyway. He hooks a big milkie which took off in the direction of the naval base. He was screaming for me to pull the anchor and chase it. There was no time. About 30 seconds after hookup the braid went crack as the last millimetres busted off the spool.When dad went to get his barra rod out of the shed and see no line of the reel he yells out "ya little bastard i specifically told you not to take it"!

I watched footage of Robson Green catching BONEFISH in cuba and although not Milkies he was amazed at how it pulled a hundred metres in a few moments.He was gobsmacked so they obviously have some unbelievable power.Its great seeing underwater footage of them takin off.I think its got to do with the way they swim. Like a whiting they have heaps of power for such a narrow body