hi fella just wondering if anyone could give a pointer on the most effective way too put a carp out of its misery hopefully without makin too much of a mess as i dont usually fish for them but i wouldnt mind stockin up on some for crab bait next season .I managed 1 the other day and being the first time ive ever really caught 1 i ended up belting it on the head with a pole just so it would be quick and relatively painless but it did make a bit of a mess of its head.So anyone got any special way they like too put an end too this feral creature .P.S a shotgun is not an option :laugh: cheers.MM

Yep, Ike-jime, a quick spike to the brain.

Iki Jime (活き締め?) or Ike jime (活け締め?) is a method of paralyzing and bleeding fish to maintain its quality.[1] The technique originated in Japan, but is now in widespread use. It involves the insertion of a spike quickly and directly into the hind brain thereby causing immediate brain death. A fish brain is usually located slightly behind and above the eye. When spiked correctly, the fish fins flare and the fish relaxes, immediately ceasing all motion. The blood contained in the fish flesh retracts to the gut cavity, which produces a better coloured and flavoured fillet. This method seems to minimize the pain.

Posted Image

Yep' date=' Ike-jime, a quick spike to the brain.

Iki Jime (活き締め?) or Ike jime (活け締め?) is a method of paralyzing and bleeding fish to maintain its quality.[1] The technique originated in Japan, but is now in widespread use. It involves the insertion of a spike quickly and directly into the hind brain thereby causing immediate brain death. A fish brain is usually located slightly behind and above the eye. When spiked correctly, the fish fins flare and the fish relaxes, immediately ceasing all motion. The blood contained in the fish flesh retracts to the gut cavity, which produces a better coloured and flavoured fillet. This method seems to minimize the pain.

Posted Image
Thanks for that Ranger very good bit of info there, the pic makes it a lot better to understand the technique.

I use an old screwdriver that has been sharpened to a point. A quick firm push of it between the fishes eyes from the top of their head will do the trick every time.

You could just use a phillips head one and save the sharpening ;) If using it in a boat, can I suggest to be careful not to get too enthusiastic, sharp instruments with weight behind them dont always mix well with boat hulls, :boat:

ill be doing just that this afternoon im guess the same method would prob work on salmon and the likes althoguh im guessin its still prob better too bleed salmon the old school way with the old snap of the neck and buried upside down in the sand ?

Salmon most certainly need to be bled, but we also all know the way salmon tend to flop around all over the place when pulled from the water, so either a quick head spiking or snap of the neck for a rapid dispatch will prevent this and stop the flesh from becoming bruised...........a great method of you intend using the fish for sashimi instead of cooking it.............and if youy havent tried it yet, dont knock fresh salmon sashimi! ;)

i cant say ive ever tried salmon sushimi before althoughn thats 1 reason why i bury them fairly deep head first so they cant thrash around and damage the flesh too much and the kickin seems too help the blood drain ,many a times ive walked away form the beach with a line of blood filled holes left behind :laugh: . thanks aqgain for the pointers fellas reckon i may have some decent crab baits this next season .might even give the raw salmon a crack .MM

just had a quick read of that article mate i cant believe how stoopid i feel right now although brain spiking tuna is 1 thing thinking of doing it too a carp is another ,the only thing i did notice they hadnt mentioned (from my quick read anyway)is that with the tuna if you get a knife and rub it just above and between the eyes up and down it will produce a clear sought of opake spot witch we used too notch out with the knife and then insert a stainless spike through the brain and down the spinal cord almost the entire length of the fish.then we would using a finger disconect the poo pipe from inside then cut around the gills and remove the eniter contents of the fish just as quickley as we could get them on board .whole process used too take around a minute too complete .Then the fish would be put on cushions down in the hold.just an idea if anyone happens too get hold of 1 and isnt too sure how too handle it .Mind you stick a tuna infornt of me these days and it will prob not get done in under a minute lol .MM

insert a stainless spike through the brain and down the spinal cord almost the entire length of the fish.then we would using a finger disconect the poo pipe from inside then cut around the gills and remove the eniter contents of the fish .whole process used too take around a minute too complete .

Hope the minute included washing your finger MM :lol: i

I started by spiking my fish when i was spearfishing as a way of dispatching fish without filling the water with blood. I bought a specific iki jime tool for the job but a sharpened screwdriver would be almost identical. I started doing it in the torrens for carp as they are bloody hard things to kill at times without getting too messy.When you get the hang of it it becomes a bloody quick way of instantly killing fish :) Squid