WATER TEMP INFLUENCE ON FISH

Does water temperature impact fish feeding patterns? There has always been the factor that when the barometer is low, fish’ s swim bladders deflate, creating more room for the expanding of their stomachs, enabling them to eat more. Therefore, it is presumed that when a cold front approaches, fish are likely to feed vigorously. Conversely, it can be seen that a sustained low barometer shuts off some fish’s feeding patterns almost entirely. So what effect does water temp have on fish? Living on the lake for a little over a year now, and fishing almost every day, I have found that there is no doubt that the fish are more active during the warmer months. Bream, for example, seemingly tend to be less hesitant during warmer months, and slam lures more often. Though in winter, better fish are more frequent, they are seemingly far less inclined to take a lure than in the warmer months. Obviously, there are multiple factors associated with higher water temperature, (e.g. abundance of baitfish and prawns during warmer months that may mean that fish are more often than not chasing down prey than mooching off of pontoons,) and it may therefore be seen that higher water temperature contributes to these contributing factors that influence fish feeding patterns rather than directly impact upon them. Has anyone else looked into this issue? If so, what trends have you found, and what is your opinion? Is there a common understanding that I am unaware of? I’m just trying to catch more fish! :D

kingfish i found over the years that they dont take a bait readily in winter unless the water temp is over 20 and also found the striped perch disappear in winter and crabs go to deeper waters in winter also ,,, found squid and cuttlys bite better in winter probelly due to mating season ,,,, snapper seem to bite any time but more so in summer ,,, other speicies bite all year round if you can get pass the stripe perch in summer,,,so i find most fish bite better in winter then summer ,,,only its to cold to go fishing in the early hours :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ,,, cheers freddyboy

I agree that it may seem like less fish activity during winter, however I dont believe it is actually the case that fish are significantly less active.Most fish have an optimum temperature range and it is within this range that a particular species requirements regarding disolved levels of Oxygen, temperature for metabolism and a sufficient food supply are met.Given that most (all) Saltwater species are native, they have evolved to live in our environment and are therefore unlikely to ever actually switch off (like imported stocked fish can when conditions arent' right). Generations of breeding pressures have ensured that only those fish which feed most effectively (and therefore continously) have been able to pass on their genes!So if the temperature is not merely like a switch, (on/off) how can this apparent winter migration or behavioural changes be accounted for?I believe it is all about balance; a combination of actions on the part of the fish to best survive in its environment, and to stay on topic, these are all in one way or another linked to TEMPERTURE. I'll go in order of importance (imho)-Dissolved Oxygen -Cold water is more dense (concentrated) thus a volume of colder water can hold more oxygen than the same volume of warmer water (where the molecules are further apart). Pelagic species generally require high levels of dissolved oxygen (DO) (free oxygen) and that is why they never stop swimming (water continually over gills), this may be why Salmon appear more agressive/ prevalent in cold water. Being a slower fish, generally restricted to short bursts of energy, Bream have a wide range of acceptable DO and can thefore tolerate warmer water.The reason i rank this at the top, is if the mimimum DO is not available , the affected species will have to Seek out a new enviromnent, or stop feeding and eventually die. Often it is the baitfish which are first affected- Temperature for Metabolism-The curculatory system of different species opperates best in a certain temperature range. Humans for example are fine in Temps of 20-45 degrees C. if its colder we need clothes, if its hotter we need cooling. FISH HAVE NO SUCH LUXURY! When temps become too hot or too cold for their blood to supply energy to their body, fish either need to find warmer or colder water in order to feel hungry, to in turn feed and to therefore survive. -In summer increasingly warm days, heat up the surface of the water, the cooler more dense water sinks to the bottom and the hot water rises, forming a layer of warm water stacked on top. It is here that the mojority of baitfish and prawns will congregate, this Brings fish like Bream, Gar, Whiting and Mackeral into the shallows and up to the surface layers, where TEMPERATURE is optimum for FOOD SOURCES and METABOLIC RATES.- As winter approaches, the days get shorter and cooler, wind mixes cool air with the water and the suface chills rapidly. Being more dense the cool water traps the warm water below; creating the opposite situation to summer. Now the bait, food and Fish are down deep! And thats why it seems like there are not so many around, it is largely because they are not in the shallows or near the surface! Fishing can slow down, but my best fishing in Westlakes has been in winter, fishing down deep for Bream and when i say best i mean both for Size and Numbers of fish.-Follow The Leader-Small fish and Organisms are always going to be the most affected by the environment; Temperature, light, Tide, and Moon. As these little fellas are the food source for other fish, Bigger Species will often follow or congregate around them for an easy feed. So consider that it may not be the big boys calling the shots as to where in the water column is the best place to be!Well there is some food for thought! What do you fellas think?

I reckon your probably spot on Yak and your theories made quiet an enjoyable read. ???However in winter and being shorebased i can,t catch a bream to save myself down there.I still see reasonable numbers of fish but they are very reluctant to take a lure,whether thats because they have been spending their nights in the depths of the lake gorging themselves in your inversion layer or because of the cold their metabolism slows and they don,t need to feed as often.Its been so slow for me there since mid April i,ve almost(i said almost) been tempted to buy a packet of Prawns which for some reason will still catch some thumpers around the fringes. cheers brenton

They’re some interesting points you’ve made Yak, and I’m thinking along the same lines as you in that water temperature does not necessarily have a direct impact upon predatory fish’s behaviour, but that it’s definitely effects other factors that largely influence fish’s tendencies to feed i.e. abundance of food That said, I have seen loads of chunky bream in the 40ish size range as of late, still in shallow (4-7ft) water, but I’m having real problems getting them to hit lures in comparison to during summer. Maybe its just that, for whatever reason, the Lake hasn't been firing like it was last year and I’m just trying to find something to blame!

Gday MattVery good question about water temp. I don't target bream etc.............mainly fish in the gulf, and I believe the water temperature plays a huge part in fish movement patterns in the gulf. Particularly with whiting. KG's are known to move in to shallower grounds during the winter, when they apparently breed. Whether it's to breed or not, we do know for sure that the larger schools of fish move in shallower in winter.I have been monitoring the water temperature this winter, and have found it to be around 14 degrees up until last weekend, according to my transducer (has temp gauge). I'm fairly sure that this is the reason why the whiting season has seen a very late start this year. Sure, most of us have had a good catch or two in the past few months, but the regular big schools of good sized fish don't seem to have moved in to the regular winter grounds as early as they do most years. I reckon this is because the weather itself hasn't been particularly cold - we haven't had many of those 3-4 degree nights yet, and because of that, the water temp hasn't been cold enough for the whiting to move in.Last couple of weeks the fish have showed up in better numbers, and it has coincided with a couple of degrees drop in water temp acording to my gauge. Anyway, that's just my thoughts on KG's, not sure if you target them or not. As with anything in fishin, we all have our theories. ;)