What Size Braid............

Hi all, well a year or so back i bought a second hand (like bloody new B) ) Daiwa Sealine X50 SHA of of Pilly, it's spooled with i think he said 60lb mono and caught many a snapper, anyway i want to upgrade to Braid and was wondering what pound breaking strain i should get.My target fish are going to be the big Kingys at Pt Augusta and for the odd occasion when i get taken out Deep Sea fishingSo what do you reckon, 50lb 60lb 80lb or even heavier? i was leaning towards the 8olbanyway keen to hear your suggestionscheers chuckPS what size Leader should i get for this sort of fishing? thanks :)

Great reel, I've got two that I use for surf fishing with 30-40 pound mono. I'd go for 80 pound braid considering the reels capacity, you should be able to get around 500yd on there and still have room for a 150 pound wind-on. The reel will only pull about 17 pounds of drag, so the breaking strain of the 80 is overkill, but the extra abrasion resistance is what you want, if you can, load it with Cortland Master Braid, toughest braid going.

Great reel' date=' I've got two that I use for surf fishing with 30-40 pound mono. I'd go for 80 pound braid considering the reels capacity, you should be able to get around 500yd on there and still have room for a 150 pound wind-on. The reel will only pull about 17 pounds of drag, so the breaking strain of the 80 is overkill, but the extra abrasion resistance is what you want, if you can, load it with Cortland Master Braid, toughest braid going.[/quote']Yeah and that wind on leader being the key. I have mates that go out after the big samsons and kings (I haven't done it myself), and the wind on is going to give you the good shock and abrasion resistance. Like plankton says, the only threat to 80lb braid is the abrasion.On the braid subject though, I remember snapperheads report that you had some braid that went brittle recently and lost a few snapper.... This wasn't rovex was it???? Just because I had the same peculiar thin happen a few months back with some ten pound rovex after the third session using it.Cheers