Twitch twitch, orientalfish and I are thinking of getting into some mully fishing. We have a bit of knowledge on how to go about things but are currently in the process of buying gear. Just wondering whether people have a specific rig set up for live baits which work well. I was thinking maybe the use of circle hooks? I was on motackle.com the other day and saw gamakatsu nautilus 6/0s? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Agree with Southie, as myself being a mully fisher i have had more success with hookups using the said circles and would not look back now. I hooked onto a fish of a lifetime on the weekend but lost it due to a bust off. :blush: The line failed me this time but was my own fault as i was pitting too much hurt on the fish when i should have backed the drag off. Lost it when it was only 5 mtrs from the boat. Lesson learned. ;) This all took place in the northern area.

Rickster and a lot of the guys that have caught loads of mulloway will simply hook the live bait through the lip. This works Obviously :)I personally fish the way southie described it. I use snelled 6/0 Gamma gatsu hooks and if I'm low I will use some of my 8/0s since I haven't been snapper fishing for yonks. If there is heaps of tide ripping don't be afraid to use dead baits, they work fine when the waters moving well. I lost MY fish of a lifetime in I suspect a similar area to Rickster where some big mullies live and will think nothing about smashing a massive live squid or 30 odd cm salmon trout!!!! I was using sneeled 6/0s that day with 30lb sublime fluro and 20lb blackmagic mono..... The mainline went and I nearly snapped my rod over my knee :blush: Now I'm using my new 7ft 6-10kg platinum ugly stick with a 6000 shimano Sedona. 30lb spiderwire braid and 40lb sunline. I use the same 6/0 snelled rig about 1m trace and a ezy rig running sinker. It's actually very similar to how I fish for snapper. Oh and your question re circles??? I don't use em, but they work well and I'm probably stupid not too, snapper and mulloway have been caught next to me by mates using em ;) but I just love to strike and it's pretty rare I don't fish with a rid in my hand.Of course most of my mulloway fishing does not end in a mulloway appearance though hahahaIf you guys camp out by westlakes in the warm weather with a live bait out, I'm sure you'll be back with some entertaining reports to make us jealous. Tight lines hey lads ;)

Just match your hook size to your baits, and circle hooks are smaller then regular hooks I've found. I use 10/0 circles for a bait of around 25-30cms. Any baits bigger then 30cms I'll snell some 8/0 suicides together pin 1 hook through the shoulder and let the other one dangle. I like to free swim my baits, works quite well for me :whistle:

hi mate, done most me mully fishing with standard hooks especiaaly land based as i have no where to sit my rod securely so i let the fish run with the bait.on the boat i have used circles cause i can have the drag set and the rod secure. mullys are a funny fish and can whack a bait without really eating it so you can miss with circles sometimes.circles work well on big snapper cause they down a bait b4 they move off = hookup.if your targetting big fish where you can have a decent amount of drag set then go circles, if your targeting schoolies then octopus styles are what i prefer.i always pin a bait in the top lip if fishing in a current , if in the lake then in the back is fine as long as the livies are big enough to take it, they live for ages in there.hope that helps...ps a mate of mine fished with circles in the lake last year and let fish run......plenty of runs but no hookups, you do know that you cant strike with circles yeah?

Good one there Nicko.Since the OP is fishing landbased I highly advise not to use circles whilst landbased. You will have to get your technique right when the fish takes your bait or you will lose that fish because there is a chance that the circle will not set if you get your technique wrong.And if your fishing free spool/baitrunner style, then circles are not ideal. Why stuff around getting that circle to set by slowly tightening the drag or whatever technique you employ. Don't take the chance.I use standard hooks and fish with a slightly tight drag just enough so when I do get a run I can reach my rod without it flying into the water. Remember a big mully will smash your bait like a freight train.Myself and Nickmav both use Gamakatsu 8/0s preferably but like others have said downsize to match your bait. You want it looking natural as possible.My chosen tackle is 30lb braided mainline and 60lb leader. Don't take any chances as it could be a really big fish :DCircles on the boat is different as most guys fish with tight drags and if your not then you should be.Hope it helps good luck man.