Decissions Decissions

Righto the time has come... its mully and snapp snapp season..and im in for a new combo... however i want to combine the two for the one combo.. so a rod/reel for mullys and snapps... It will be used for live baiting and thorwing baits/ leads etc... im new to snapper fishing but am keen to learn and get up to date with it all... But im looking for your guys recommendations... if its not possible im quite happy to either use one reel and get 2 different rods or vise verse... i have around the 400 to spend... i was looking at getting the baitrunner 4000d and match it with a shimano t curve rod but open to options.... also while were at it what our your guys light snapp snapp combos ??

hey Southie Iv'e got a 4000D and I'm really not liking it. It flexes at the stem and the thin bail wire gives me the shites. I feel like i can break it with one finger. It's starting to feel like Chinese crap after a few good fish. But if you must then maybe have a feel with the 6000D it probs be more robust and will be ideal for the mullies as well.Anyway I'm using a Saltiga Dorado 70S with the 4000D atm for snapps its a top rod and can handle the big boys too.Also don't limit your options to a baitrunner reel. It's not necessary for the two species, can just use any non-biatrunner reel as long as you have good rod holders on the boat.For $400 i would get the one quality outfit for both species, maybe not much fun on the ruggers but your gonna want some decent stuff for the mullies. Whatever you choose probs get something with a stiffer tip for the live baiting.

Also don't limit your options to a baitrunner reel. It's not necessary for the two species' date=' can just use any non-biatrunner reel as long as you have good rod holders on the boat.For $400 i would get the one quality outfit for both species, maybe not much fun on the ruggers but your gonna want some decent stuff for the mullies. g.[/quote']I'd agreeWith the one outfit ideaDon't forget how hard those little Ruggers can go thoughAlso they can be knocked over on a light outfit with patience anyway ;)

For a brilliant light snapper/ mully combo have a look at the brand new Okuma Signature Series 5-10kg matched with a either a 3000 caldia ot 4000 stradic,you will get braid on as well for your 400 bucks and some change if you choose the Caldia....i did and i'm loving it,great for chucking mully lures as well. :clap: It feels almost like a bream rod but will pull a snapper backwards cheers brenton

So many options Southie, :):):) But the hot tip is to spend most of your money on your reel as Brenton is spot on, something like a Stradic CI4 4000 or a Caldia is going to do a superlative job on both species!And as Nikhum has said, with your chosen rod, you need something that has a heavy tip if your going to live bait.The problem you will find with most graphite rods these days, is that they are mainly designed for SP use, and sometimes can't take being loaded up with a 3-4oz sinker and whole live fish.What ever rod you choose, make sure you test the tip by putting a 4oz sinker on it in store and loading it up!Some SP rods that say they are rated to 10Kg, in my opinion are really rated at closer to 8kg max rating.I can vouch for Okuma's rods though, for value for money you cant go wrong. The other quality rod that you could get is the Abu Veritas 6-10kg 1peice if you can find one?Ive got one and love it! Think you can pick em up for like $160Ive been looking for the ultimate live baiting Snapper rod to replace my Saltiga Hirimassa 63s (which Im soon learning is a tuff rod to find a suitable replacement for), and for value for money it has to be the Daiwa Catalina Nubara 67. These are $349 at Ray & annes. I guess the other thing you could do is buy this rod, buy a second hand 4000 reel and use that till you could afford a new reel.

Southie just re-thought your options.I reckon you will be hard pressed to do better than:Stradic CI4 4000 $259.00T-Curve Revolution Offshore 701 SW $179.00Both at Ray and Annes.Total cost $440For this sort of cash, you are going to be able to stop some serious fish and fish Big leads no probs with the 6-12kg rating of the 701 SWIf you are keen on the Veritas, will sell mine for $100 in tip top condition.

hey south i have recently purchased the t-curve lucanus light and matched it with the stradic 4000 (not the c14)i went the light option as i am wanting to use it for the sport side of it, and not skull drag the fish which i previously used to on my charter special. wouldnt recommend the light t-curve for the mullies though as you wanna keep em clear of snags :) i opted to go the non c14 on the stradic as weight wasnt an issue and was only 70 gm's difference and is not the sort of combo you are going to be throwing lures with all day anyhow.my other leave in rod holder combo is my shimano BTR600d matched with a Penn sport 7001 TLBM 6-10 kg have caught 8kg reds on this and a school mully and handled it easily the rod is awesome value at around 100 clams, have the same rod in overhead and can turn the fishes head easily with the right amount of pressure.hope this helps a bit mate good luck

if i was going to go the stradic i would get the rarerium as it has a 2nd spool ;) i was looking at getting one of these eventully to throw lures for salmon with etc etc... :)

Yep either the normal straddy, straddy CI4 or Rareanium are all going to kick arse.The T-Curve I recommended last is a weapon..in fact Ive now decided Im getting myself one to replace my saltiga with.And if you do stretch and get that outfit, I can throw you some Platypus 20lb braid Brand new. As you would have stretched your budget..so no need for you to buy braid dude.My new bait and livie outfit is going to be a 701SW and my Certate Hyper 4000

if i was going to go the stradic i would get the rarerium as it has a 2nd spool ;) i was looking at getting one of these eventully to throw lures for salmon with etc etc... :)

yeah the extra spool is always handy to have.my t-curve and 4000 have caught shit loads of whiting so far and gets a crook old bend in it when you hook a 40cm whiting (ask Moggy) but havnt had it set up for a snapper yet, will wait till i go to my summer spot and have them schooling up and eating anything you put down then i will have some fun am looking at buying a gopro video camera and getting some footage this season B) cheers 4THA

WEll the decision is over.... THE NEW COMBO :D :D :D as soon as i felt these to together it was match made in heaven :)Shimano rarenium 4000 and the new Terez 15-30lb 7'2 rod with extra fast taper... this rod is amazing :) And while i was there i also put another combo on layby so just need line on the new one :) and well b set

Yep either the normal straddy' date=' straddy CI4 or Rareanium are all going to kick arse.The T-Curve I recommended last is a weapon..in fact Ive now decided Im getting myself one to replace my saltiga with.And if you do stretch and get that outfit' date=' I can throw you some Platypus 20lb braid Brand new. As you would have stretched your budget..so no need for you to buy braid dude.My new bait and livie outfit is going to be a 701SW and my Certate Hyper 4000[/quote'']Gotta love the Certate i have the Hyper 2500 and ive caught Yellow Fin Tuna upto about 27kg's with it using a Daiwa Saltwater Series 10kg stick, incredible real now i just have to get it back fom Dubs the tackleman and i'll be right.

@southie- great choice mate that combo sounds amazing@grazz64-ripper tuna

Was one of those days mate where all the stars aligned. We boated our 6 in no time out at Sth Neptuneand with the permision of all aboard i asked if i could throw a lure out on some 10kg tackle. Cut along story short half an hour later i was knackered and at the 40 minute mark it was slid into the net, some quick photos still to knackered to stand up lol then it was released back to do what all good Tuna do. It's about the only thing that has tested the Certate and it did it with ease,never got lower than half a spool. Next target is a decent Sambo, pound for pound Sambo's are the hardest pulling fish ive ever been attached to and would be a worthy advisory for the Certate Custom 2500.
. Next target is a decent Sambo' date=' pound for pound Sambo's are the hardest pulling fish ive ever been attached to and would be a worthy advisory for the Certate Custom 2500.[/quote']Totally agree there mate. They sure are solid fish
. Next target is a decent Sambo' date=' pound for pound Sambo's are the hardest pulling fish ive ever been attached to and would be a worthy advisory for the Certate Custom 2500.[/quote']Totally agree there mate. They sure are solid fish
Over in WA 55k's out from Rotto in 115 metres of water the Sambo's really stretch your arms. 400 gram jigs dont help, form what ive experienced here they dont go as hard, maybe the depth had something to do with it but they still stretch you. Never been hooked up to a decent Kingy but i would imagine they would offer the same level of grunt, the two are closely related.