Help/metro report 18/2/2012

Hi there guys took the tub out this morning for a feew of crabs n squid. Left nth haven on day break and was motoring out with out a hitch until I was just motoring past the largs jetty when all of a sudden my motor dramatically lost revs. It didn't stall but struggled to exceed 3500 rpm. It felt as if I had ran over someones marker bouy and had all mono entangled in the prop. But it wasn't to be. So I dropped the pick thinking if worst comes to worse when ww want to leave the auxillary will have to earn its keep. We ended up with 35 woppa bluey's in 2 hours when I decided to head back in to beat the hords in so I wasn't negotiating a crook donk with some weekend warriors. Started the motor didn't miss a beat on idle but when put in gear and tried to put on plane it just didn't have the power it should. I managed to get it up to 3500 rpm and at some stages on ride home reached 3800rpm but seemed to struggle to hold that speed. So heres the question for all the outboard gurus out there what do you think has caused this I had fresh fuel all of 24 hours old so I don't think its stale fuel. The motor is a older mariner 60 hl the fun metal grey ones not the lighter silver ones that kick around. Cheers guys any help would be greatly appreciated cheers. LBS

Could be a fuel problem, water in fuel, breather, cracked hose, blocked fuel filter,fuel pump,blocked jet in carby for an example,Or could be a power pack, ignition lead, coil, spark plug breaking down under load, one of the sensors sending the power pack into limp home mode (rev. limiting), dodgy wiring or it could be something completely different.Start with the simple things and keep it simple, as it could be a cheap fix. ;)

It may be as simple as the prop letting go.The prop has a bush which holds to the shaft' date=' at lower revs it holds as the load os not great. At higher revs due to load it is slipping.Had this happen a couple of times when deckie on a boat out of Sydney.Graham[/quote']Welcome to the site Graham,When a prop bush starts slipping, normally what happens the engine starts to rev up with very little drive and the more throttle you give it, higher the revs, you actually will hit the rev. limiter with enough throttle. Same as a slipping clutch in a car. B)