local fish tagging

According to PIRSA regs' date=' yep, Cod are not to be taken out of the water. I do know that tags can be placed in fish whilst they are kept in the water. Although determining the actual length can be difficult. But if one is to consider that Cod are not to be removed from the water under any circumstance, how is it that people are photographed whilst holding their catch?[/quote']Thanks Boyington :) the no lifting cod out of water reg has only been in effect a couple of seasons now in the murray, that may explain some older photos of cod you have seen or their possibly fish from private waterways ect?Getting accurate info (on SA Size cod) that can be relied apon down the track would be very hard to impossible without breaking the current regs so it may be a good thing that none have been tagged since 2008 :) Thanks SAFTAG for your explanation ;) I believe the regs around not lifting cod and their 'protected' status comes about from fisheries realising they have almost run the species into the ground through poor management. They have no choice but to protect them and pray that they naturally bounce back.cheers :)
did it cost you any coin to get your kit nanman? they look similar to the SART tags' date=' i like the green card i.dea..[/quote']It was free savagelip but i may need to buy or make up a tagging pole so i can tag fish without removing them from the water.
Nanman' date=' you use the same tags for the Demersal species as the Pelagic's.Cheers[/quote']No worries cheers Rollas.On the brochure provided by NSW fisheries the shark tags were interesting looking things. They had a much larger metal point on the end of them. Understandable given the tough skin of a shark.Billfish tags were in a league of their own too which is not surprising given their thick upper sholders and backs.