Float or suspend

I know this topic may have been done before but since i,m getting into the lures a bit more i was wondering what your thoughts on floating vs suspending lures and i suppose sinkers are in there as wellToo me suspending seem alot more natural but i noticed that most of the bream lures are floaters,this would mean that any time you stalled your retrieve the lure would start to float back to the surface...is this a trigger for the bream to have a go or do most who use the floaters just keep up a steady retrieve with twitches etc so whether the lure is a floater or suspender doesn,t make any difference to your catch rate???thanks for any input. cheers brenton

Brenton, I'm a big fan of suspending lures! When a baitfish stops in the water it doesnt sink or float, so I think the suspending look more natural.Having said that, floating lures will always come to the surface if ya get snapped off so that ya can retreive them easily, and sinking lures will drop down behind rocks, into snags, etc and entice fish out of their lil hideyholes where other lures couldnt go!I guess at the end of the day all three serve their own purpose and they all have their own place, but just like all fishermen, we all have our own favourites.

gday brent good question i use a bit of both and have had probably equal success, but i prefer suspending as they stay in the strikezone longer.depends on the conditions and where im fishing i spouse.Ule find that sum of these so called suspending lures actually have a slow rise as they are made to suspend in fresh water not the salt and salt water is more dense or is it the other way round????? ???.

I prefer a suspending lure too most, but remember if you like the look of a lure that float you can always "tune" it to suspend or sink.

yeah i do.... but there seems to be a heap of floaters out there if suspenders are better,the only advantage i can think of with a floater is when its shallow or rocky and you can float over potential snags.As i said though i pretty new to all this.. cheers brenton

there is no good or bad in HBs it helps to have a large selectition of both floating and suspending. suspending HBs help wen you pause the lure for fish to come over and hav a good look at it, this gives them time to make up there mind if theyr gonna eat it or not( good for bream and mulloway). floating HBs ar good for very snagy waters e.g river murray! you can crank the lure deep into the snags then let your lure float back over them with out getting snagged( good for native fish and fish tight in snags)only my opinionscheersbrooksey

I think it just depends what the area you are fishing is like. Around pylons and mored boats etc. I prefer sinking lures as they just fload down into the srike zone when you cast them close to structure. Floaters are good when there are rocks and weeds around. I find suspenders to be on par with floaters/sinkers the rest of the time. Really i just think it depends on what the fish are into on any particular day.

Some great advice on this topic from a bunch of good bream bashers! I agree with with lot of it!Personally i always use suspending lures unless the terrain calls for a floating lure (deep water followed by snags to avoid). Sinkers in the depths of winter. But otherwise like the others its suspend all the way!Brent most lures are floating so you can 'tune' them to suspend or sink by changing trebbles, rings or with the use of sticky weight. Also most are Japanese lures sold here, and because our market is so small in comparison, often out local preferences are overlooked.Good to see ya onto the hardbods, lot more fun than softies IMHO! ;)

I like my lures to suspend so they 'hang' in the strike zone, I'm not too fond of a floater ;). But all lures serve their purpose float, suspend or sink.

floating lures will always come to the surface if ya get snapped off so that ya can retrieve them easily,

They do, and its a good thing they do, as in the last classic when we had to chase the same lure of mine, twice in five minutes :icon_lol: