Herpes virus nothing to carp about - Science Network WA

http://www.sciencewa.net.au/topics/fisheries-a-water/item/1364-herpes-virus-nothing-to-carp-about

THE Invasive Animals Cooperative Research Centre (IA CRC) is looking to control the European carp (Cyprinus carpio) by exposing it to the koi herpes virus.Sometimes referred to as the ‘freshwater cane toad’, carp are a major aquatic pest in Australia.Not only do they compete with native fish species for space and food resources, they modify habitats by digging around river and lake beds, uprooting flora and muddying waters.They’re also prolific breeders, with a female carp (3–4 kilos) capable of producing about one million eggs.While trapping can be an effective management practice in areas where they aggregate, the problem has grown to the point of requiring more emphatic action.“A biological method is the only thing that can work across a wide range,” says Mr Wayne Fulton, IA CRC Program Leader.“Herpes has been found to be very effective in other parts of the world. It affects the gills and the liver of the fish, causing a breakdown of tissue.”Highly contagious, Koi herpesvirus (KHV), or Cyprinid herpesvirus 3 (CyHV-3), travels horizontally in the ecosystem.Symptoms appear within five or six days, with death following within 24 hours.While the virus is typically highly specific to the European carp, the IA CRC is in the process of making sure its introduction won’t affect native species.“Testing will go through a protocol that is examined by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority,” says Mr Fulton.“It’s tested against its toxicity, its effect on the environment and its efficiency.”Like similar viruses, including the Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease virus, KHV is expected to achieve an 80 to 90 percent knockdown upon introduction with 30 to 40 percent effectiveness in subsequent years.Getting from testing to launch is expected to take up to five years.Though not directly involved in the project, the WA Department of Fisheries (DoF) is following the project’s progress.“Carp have already become established in some rivers in south west WA,” says Mr Bruce Mackay, DoF Aquatic Biosecurity Officer.“They are not as widely distributed or abundant in WA rivers as they are in the Murray Darling system, however they do pose a serious risk, especially if they become established in a greater number of river systems.”The DoF are actively monitoring carp numbers while working to educate the public about the threat of releasing ornamental fish into the environment.Its Research Division is also set to trial a range of control methods later in 2012.

There WILL be tears if this control ever takes off in my opinion. :(:(:( Why do humans, who have already totally stuffed the natural Australian Environment up,in less than a few hundred years, think they have a natural right to invent and introduce,yet more horrendous controls than we already have?Our record is totally pathetic in achieving any eradication of any introduced animal, bird, fish or plant in Australia and yet we still continue to do it!.ENOUGH already! Imagine the consequences to Australian native fish species if this bl**dy nasty virus they are playing with goes viral and we don't have a fishery at all?What will the Boffins/Scientists say then? I can't imagine :angry::angry::angry:

There WILL be tears if this control ever takes off in my opinion. :(:(:( Why do humans' date=' who have already totally stuffed the natural Australian Environment up,in less than a few hundred years, think they have a natural right to invent and introduce,yet more horrendous controls than we already have?Our record is totally pathetic in achieving any eradication of any introduced animal, bird, fish or plant in Australia and yet we still continue to do it!.ENOUGH already! Imagine the consequences to Australian native fish species if this bl**dy nasty virus they are playing with goes viral and we don't have a fishery at all?What will the Boffins/Scientists say then? I can't imagine :angry::angry::angry:[/quote']On the flip side Tonyb...what about protection of environmentally destructive animals..whether indigenous or not?Some scientists have alot to answer for there as well!TB

@ TonybApart from the Calici Virus, Im prety sure any testing done on those other items were way before the technical abilities of science nowadays, and even then the Calici " flop", although never proven, would seem to have been causd by a non scientific intervention ?

bring on the herpes! Testing methods are pretty stringent these days Tony.
Wouldn't want to see it passed on to all the pelicans' date=' TB[/quote']You're right there TB.Strike and Hook might lose a few members :ohmy: ;) :silly:

Call me an old cynic but "google" this fact: Science has never, ever, been able to cure a single viral infection :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Now then, what is HERPES????Well, dang my silly hide, it's a VIRUS!!AND the "Scientists" have tested it and will release it on an un-suspecting Mother Nature!!LORD GIVE ME STRENGTH :sick: :silly: :blink: :side: :S :(:(:(

Call me an old cynic but "google" this fact: Science has never' date=' ever, been able to cure a single viral infection :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Now then, what is HERPES????Well, dang my silly hide, it's a VIRUS!![/quote']which is exactly why they put in so many hours doing tests, trials etc etc etc to absolutely minimise te risk of any virulent organism used to target particular species while ensuring the sdesired species remain unaffected :)