Which rod?

Guest Red Bull

Guest Red Bull

Hi all,I have been fishing soft plastics in the salt for the last few seasons (and by no means a master :pinch: ) and have now decided to give some small hard bodies a go as well.........4 gram lures mainly.The rod I'm currently using for SP's is 7 feet long,graphite construction and rated at 2 to 4 kg,and is a nice "crisp" feeling stick. This is teamed to a 2000 size spin reel,running 4lb braid.My question being,do you guy's that fish SP's and hard bodies,run the same rod for both,or do you have separate outfits for each?Do Sp's and hardbodies "require" different characteristics? eg a slightly whippier rod for one over the other.Not really looking for brands,models etc but just a bit of guidance ;) Cheers in advance.

Would depend on your rod now Redbull. Soft plastics require a bit more whip in the rod, where metal bodies mean the rod can be a bit stiffer. I use a Shimano Raider 7 foot 6 rod 2-4kg for both. Although i have a Pflueger Trion i use for SP's if i am specifically targetting that type of fishing. Sounds like the rod you have will do the job without seeing it.Good luck, give it a go for the yellowfin whiting, they have started locally in better numbers.Give Tennyson a go if you feel like wading out with the bloodworm/tubeworm sp's on the high tide.

I use a 7ft Shimano Jewel for both. It's fairly stiff right through which I prefer as I like the feeling of being connected to my SP or HB at all times. I reckon it's mostly just personal preference Red Bull. If you're lucky enough to have access to a few different types of rod just try them all out and see what feels best for you.

Guest Red Bull

Thanks guy's ;) Seems very much a personal sort of thing (as stated by U4L) and I thought my existing rod felt ok........will give it a shot,as it's what I'm used to and may just have to hone my technique to suit the action of the lures used.Cheers.Ps AC80......I love to wade the flats on Eastern Yorkes beaches for whiting,and have done so for years with bait and SP's,but this year will go for the Hard bodies,and target some flatties as well ;) Cheers guy's

Thanks guy's ;) Seems very much a personal sort of thing (as stated by U4L) and I thought my existing rod felt ok........will give it a shot' date='as it's what I'm used to and may just have to hone my technique to suit the action of the lures used.Cheers.Ps AC80......I love to wade the flats on Eastern Yorkes beaches for whiting,and have done so for years with bait and SP's,but this year will go for the Hard bodies,and target some flatties as well ;) Cheers guy's[/quote']Try surface lures for the YFW.... they are by far the most exciting lures to use on them :) Sambo