As a treat to myself once I finish uni for the year I am going to buy myself a rod and reel for a diverse range of situations around SA, including rocks, jetties, livebaiting for mullies, kingfish etc.I won't say what I am leaning towards but ideas and discussion welcome.Some required specs include... LENGTH for leverage(7ft plus), minimum 300m 30lb (maybe 40lb) braid, 15kg of drag, responsive, versatile, able to cast well, tough.

Rod wise I'd get a Sabre or check out the Texalliums (can't spell) .Used to use my mates sabre a bit.until someone taxed it :( Can't help you with the reels, cos I've never had/fished a spin reel with 15kg drag, only overheads. My guess would be a large Saltiga on a Sabre or the Tex, try a few out for weight and feel. Depending the depth you're looking at, might be worth considering what ratio is going to suit.

I've got a tcurve 763 bluewater, 15-24kg. Can chuck big baits, heavy lures, jig with it or send out a balloon. I've got this mated to a Saragosa 18000 running 80lb braid with a 150lb wind on. Great for pulling fish straight out of structure or battling a nice toothy. There's my two cents.Also, as it's 3 piece, can take it in the plane

I've got a tcurve 763 bluewater' date=' 15-24kg. Can chuck big baits, heavy lures, jig with it or send out a balloon. I've got this mated to a Saragosa 18000 running 80lb braid with a 150lb wind on. Great for pulling fish straight out of structure or battling a nice toothy. There's my two cents.Also, as it's 3 piece, can take it in the plane[/quote']Thats a mighty nice combo FH. That would stop some big fishIve got a 7'8 Terez 40-80 but looking for a new reel to replace my 4500J phantom. was thinking of a Saragossa myself. How do you like it?