Beach Combos for Mulloway

i have a Snyder Glass Fish Striker MT8144 on which i have a Shimano baitrunner 6500b spooled with 30lb mono. im going to buy another spool and put 50lb braid on it as well. Im looking for a lighter surf rod that can still handle a big mulloway but would be good for throwing big metal slugs and the like around. any suggestions??im looking at buying a bigger spin reel to put on the snyder glass and chucking the baitrunner onto the lighter rod. the reel i am looking at is one of those big Fin Nor offshore reels, anyone used these? i hear they are pretty good. any other reels i should be looking at?

My mate has one of those fin nor reels. He likes it, and I don't think he has had any trouble with it. They are heavy, but sometimes you want a big heavy and strong reel. Can't use these fancy ci4, air rotor, zion body bream reels for everything!!!!!!I know he took braid off his and went back to mono, but I think that was a personal thing, no fault of the reel. Don't know about the rods mate. To me they are a personal choice, you might not like what I do. I would probably check out a Wilson or silstar power tip. Have fun shopping!!

I had the fin nor 75 and they are ok,they have a massive drag which you’ll never use to the max.With the rod i’ll send you a PM when stock turns up at this shop that i’m waiting on to arrive.Beautiful rod for mulloway at a very affordable price.http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/pros-give-fin-nor-offshore-thumbs-up

Guest Red Bull

The shorter rod was advantageous there,on that beach devoid of swell,but when theres a swell,or a big "shore dump",you need to keep your line out of it the best you can........... a 7 foot rod is no match for 10 or 12 in that scenario B) Granted,each rod have their own merits,and are best suited to match the conditions at any given time.

• 2 weeks later...