Gummy shark help!

We caught 3 on the weekend, left them in the ice box for a night, bled them before we put them in there. Got home and cleaned them up, put the fillets in the fridge then ate them last night. The problem, spots of flesh went this weird greeny colour, we cut it of and ate the rest and still alive today. My question, we thought it might be an ammonia build up? as we didn't gut the fish straight away. Thoughts? Much appreciated, Reeve.

Hmmmmm maybe the people who knew the answer to that Question didnt cut the green bits off...hope you dont end up growing extra stuff all of a suddengood luckCheck this out ... http://www.pacseafood.com/default.aspx?page=176Third Paragraph..."sharks must be handled very carefully and bled quickly as they lack a urinary system. Instead sharks (and skates) carry urea in their blood and tissue and excrete it through their flesh by osmosis. After a shark dies, its urea turns to ammonia, which can permeate the flesh (soaking shark meat in a brine can remove the ammonia odor)."

2c...Guts out straight away, fillet that night with the flesh "draining" overnight in the fridge, then pack/freeze the following day - never had a problem.You may be limited in what you can do if say LB/camping - but, if nothing else, innards do need to come out sooner rather than later from what I have heard.We`ve kept whiting and snapper in the boat esky ice slurry overnight when there has been a really late finish on occassion, like post-retrieval distractions on a warm evening :d/ without any issues - but sharks (and for that matter leatheries) always get "lightened" in the boat fairly promptly.

Thanks fellas, much appreciated. I had a bit of a stab in the dark it was something to do with the urine and stuff like that. Next time defiantly gut them as soon as we catch it, and luckily we had a pretty big esky so they fitted in there perfect :) I'll just have to go catch some more to practice xD

• 2 weeks later...